Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Order delay and general lack of urgency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered on the 28th, test drove a Model S for the first time on the 29th at a local store, and picked up the car on the 4th after a factory tour in Fremont. The car was in immaculate condition with a new nosecone (since the previous owner had a front license plate), new tires, and I could not have asked for a better experience. I did see a parking lot/field off-site with a dozen or so vehicle waiting for the same treatment. I know they are swamped dealing with demand since I received a phone call a week after delivery responding to my initial inquiry into buying a CPO vehicle. I was initially surprised with the swiftness since I had two vehicles that I need to off-load to an auto broker to justify the new purchase over a weekend. Now waiting on 2 quotes from electricians to run 240 to my garage, they both asked how many months till my delivery.

The devil is always in the details. My outside financing has "funded" my loan and cut me a check. I'm already paying interest and have a due date assigned for my first bill, all before I even get the car. First world problems eh? :)

That's just the price we pay for going with DCU. I had asked if I could wait to finalize but DCU told me that if the rate changes from now until delivery, I'd get the higher rate... So I just went for it and now I'm in the same boat as you; Paying interest on a car I can't drive.

The devil is always in the details. My outside financing has "funded" my loan and cut me a check. I'm already paying interest and have a due date assigned for my first bill, all before I even get the car. First world problems eh? :)
I am glad that you can laugh about it, yes it is a first world problem for sure.
Last Thursday night I put a deposit down on a CPO Model S85. Yesterday morning I sold my LEAF, so next week I will be riding the mountain bike to work until I get my Tesla.
First World problem yes.

I ordered my cpo on April 24th and to this day the car hasn't been delivered, moved or updated since the date of order.

It's beyond frustrating and all I've gotten from my DS is that it is in detailing and inspection and it should be ready "soon". I was told the same thing last week as well. Either they take a long time to inspect and detail or the car is just collecting dust...

Is anyone else experiencing this? It will be the third week next week. I thought the whole reason to get a cpo is so that you don't have to wait?

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard the same thing, but I'm having my CPO shipped across the country and I've been told multiple times that the CPO cars undergo the 200-point inspection and detailing BOTH before and after shipping. So it was completely ready to go per Atlanta's team, then they loaded it into a truck for shipping. Once in Phoenix, the team here will repeat the inspection and detail it all over again!

Would I have loved a 5-day turnaround? Absolutely. But I also feel much more confident in what I'm buying knowing that so much care is going into ensuring that it meets Tesla's CPO standards.

I think Tesla may have been caught off guard by the CPO demand.
This seems awfully likely. All of a sudden Tesla has to detail and ship a couple hundred (maybe more? not sure what the volume is here) cars through a new process they've never used before. The situation was bound to be rocky for the first buyers. I agree that 3 weeks for a used vehicle is an unusually long wait, but the reality is that Tesla is figuring out how this is all going to work. Long waits for the first orders sucks, but is to be expected. If that number doesn't come down over the coming months, then I'd be concerned.

I ordered on the 28th, test drove a Model S for the first time on the 29th at a local store, and picked up the car on the 4th after a factory tour in Fremont. The car was in immaculate condition with a new nosecone (since the previous owner had a front license plate), new tires, and I could not have asked for a better experience. I did see a parking lot/field off-site with a dozen or so vehicle waiting for the same treatment. I know they are swamped dealing with demand since I received a phone call a week after delivery responding to my initial inquiry into buying a CPO vehicle. I was initially surprised with the swiftness since I had two vehicles that I need to off-load to an auto broker to justify the new purchase over a weekend. Now waiting on 2 quotes from electricians to run 240 to my garage, they both asked how many months till my delivery.

I just got my nema 14-50 installed for $125. It was less than 3 foot run and I bought all the parts before the guy came to my house.

I've seen a bunch of the CPO cars at the Paramus NJ store before they're cleaned up. Believe me, you want them to do a good job. I can't believe how bad people have cared for their Model S's...
IMG_4771.jpg

If it's any consolation, during that first week I had put my deposit down (I believe Wed 4/29 to be exact), the Tyson's Corner store sent me pics of my car and it hadn't been fully reconditioned/cleaned up yet. I could see the prior owners personal effects in one photo. But I'm assured the car is going to be perfect at pickup in 8 hours!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen a bunch of the CPO cars at the Paramus NJ store before they're cleaned up. Believe me, you want them to do a good job. I can't believe how bad people have cared for their Model S's...

A special thank you to you. Your blog was my introduction to Tesla and your cost just ovation post really made this a reality. Here I am, only five months after reading every post on your blog, picking up my very own Tesla!!!

It is possible that they found something additional to fix on the car, and that hasn't been conveyed to your DS. Or someone dropped the ball and forgot to detail the car. Or any number of other reasons. It'll be worth the wait.

My DS has informed me that the car is on it's way to my SC! I was just frustrated with the lack of transparency and communication. I don't believe it's their fault, they must be overloaded on the amount of orders coming in. In any case, I get to pick up my car tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully will be a good experience; Fingers Crossed!

My DS has informed me that the car is on it's way to my SC! I was just frustrated with the lack of transparency and communication. I don't believe it's their fault, they must be overloaded on the amount of orders coming in. In any case, I get to pick up my car tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully will be a good experience; Fingers Crossed!

I picked up my CPO today from Fremont! :) The detailing job was okay; but I wasn't even complaining. And I've had the same issues as you uisynot; I had to call and had to follow up with everything myself. They might be dealing with high volumes of CPOs?

Congrats!!! Good luck on sleeping lol!

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up my CPO today from Fremont! :) The detailing job was okay; but I wasn't even complaining. And I've had the same issues as you uisynot; I had to call and had to follow up with everything myself. They might be dealing with high volumes of CPOs?

It's CPO pickup week!! Congratulations on getting yours. I do believe they are dealing with a high volume of CPO purchases since the public site came online, as well as new logistics in handling sales and transportation between service centers. Very different than factory outbound and the occasional marketing/demo/inventory car move.

Did you happen to get the blue p85? Vin p07065? Just curious because someone bought a car that was literally 1 vin away from mine and I feel a weird connection to that owner lol. And yes cyclone, I can't sleep!

Did you happen to get the blue p85? Vin p07065? Just curious because someone bought a car that was literally 1 vin away from mine and I feel a weird connection to that owner lol. And yes cyclone, I can't sleep!

Nope; I bought a gray S60. I had mine shipped from Seattle to the Fremont plant.

Get some sleep, because as soon as you get the Tesla, you're not going to sleep!

Be sure and post a picture of that car when you pick it up.
Waiting for my car to be shipped from Seattle to SLC.