Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO owners…plan to keep it how long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am extremely happy with my CPO decision, love the car but need to have an exit strategy and try to stick to it.

When I purchased this CPO, plan was to trade it in just before the battery and drive unit warranty runs out which is another 5 years and get something newer with newer features and one that is depreciated but still a CPO. EV landscape is going to change in the next 4-5 years.

Not concerned with the battery degradation as I don’t have a long commute, the cost of a drive unit replacement out of warranty could be $$$. Although Tesla says the drive unit is built to last a ton of miles, have read threads about DU replacements, maybe because it is easier for Tesla to swap one out instead of repairing one under warranty. I am not worried about being out of the 4 year 50K mile warranty, MCU or suspension failures I can deal with by having a reserve.

When it comes to keeping cars long term, my track record isn’t very good. I have owned a lot of cars and don’t really get attached to a car. This one seems different. The dilemma now is, it is such an incredible car, lines like an exotic, beautiful color, feels solid yet drives very nimble. I can push it when I want to, is practical as a daily driver and wife loves it too! She almost gave it a hug yesterday while admiring the color. Makes me want to consider keeping it longer than the warranty period(s) and not worry about spending money on mods and just enjoy the heck out of the car. I’ve got friends and family members calling dibs on it after I am done, so don’t think will have any issues selling. Who knows the cost of DUs replacements could be lower in 4-5 years.

Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts and hear from other CPO owners their plans and rationale for doing so.

Cheers

Reactions: Skione65
I am extremely happy with my CPO decision, love the car but need to have an exit strategy and try to stick to it.

When I purchased this CPO, plan was to trade it in just before the battery and drive unit warranty runs out which is another 5 years and get something newer with newer features and one that is depreciated but still a CPO. EV landscape is going to change in the next 4-5 years.

Not concerned with the battery degradation as I don’t have a long commute, the cost of a drive unit replacement out of warranty could be $$$. Although Tesla says the drive unit is built to last a ton of miles, have read threads about DU replacements, maybe because it is easier for Tesla to swap one out instead of repairing one under warranty. I am not worried about being out of the 4 year 50K mile warranty, MCU or suspension failures I can deal with by having a reserve.

When it comes to keeping cars long term, my track record isn’t very good. I have owned a lot of cars and don’t really get attached to a car. This one seems different. The dilemma now is, it is such an incredible car, lines like an exotic, beautiful color, feels solid yet drives very nimble. I can push it when I want to, is practical as a daily driver and wife loves it too! She almost gave it a hug yesterday while admiring the color. Makes me want to consider keeping it longer than the warranty period(s) and not worry about spending money on mods and just enjoy the heck out of the car. I’ve got friends and family members calling dibs on it after I am done, so don’t think will have any issues selling. Who knows the cost of DUs replacements could be lower in 4-5 years.

Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts and hear from other CPO owners their plans and rationale for doing so.

Cheers

@Atlantan,

My exact same thoughts and rationale if I end up picking up a CPO.

Ski

Reactions: Atlantan
I got my Model S in May, and the original plan was to keep it until my Model 3 was ready. But we ended up loving this car so much that we are going to keep it longer. The 3 will either go to my wife (especially if the Model Y is announced and we can transfer the reservation), or I will defer my 3 order for as long as possible to hold onto the S further into the warranty period.

I would not, however, keep the S past the CPO warranty. I am afraid that unexpected repair costs could be huge (especially since I have a fairly early VIN).

Everything is always for sale for the right price :)

Also bought the CPO S to hold us over for the our 3 reservations. While visiting the SC last week to bring my CPO in for a few due-bill items there were two early 60 owners out of warranty and it sounded painful - $1k door handle for example and I don't want to be in that boat.
With that, I do not intend to keep the car beyond the warranty period and for the ability to easily sell would likely exit ~1 year or 12k miles prior to the warranty lapsing.

I will likely keep my CPO Tesla Model S until it literally falls apart. It's a great car, somewhat of a classic being a P85, and I want first hand evidence of how long the car will last and what the degradation of the battery will be over several decades. The biggest draw not to keep it is just to buy another Tesla to support the company, but I can probably pull that off without selling my current Tesla.

As far as maintenance costs is concerned, I'm not too worried about it. The CPO comes with a 4 year 50K mile warranty. Furthermore, while this isn't as good for those of you buying right now buying 2012s or 2013s, mine is a 2014 and the drivetrain warranty is good for a another full 6 years from my date of purchase. By then my loan will be completely paid off and I will have about $1000 a month extra change that can instead go towards maintenance costs. I seriously doubt it will cost me over $1000 a month in maintenance. Plus I'm a do it yourselfer who has experience working on cars and things like the door handles not working I can fix myself. When it does become unmaintainable for costs or other reasons, it goes in the dumpster and I buy another car. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to buy another car with nothing to trade in.

Ideally I'd like to keey my current S for 30 years. That's kind of a long time, as I have never kept a car longer than 15 years before. But I think the Tesla can do it and I want evidence of what lasts and what doesn't on the car. It will be a classic one day, much like an early 1960's Camaro or Mustang is now. Those are almost 50 years old now, and some of them are still on the road.

Last edited:
I got my CPO 2013 P85+ 6 months ago, so I haven't thought much about the end game. Do you think about that with relationships too? ;)
If I had to guess, I'll probably have it 3 or 4 years; maybe I'll trade it in when the warrantee is up (I'm nervous about what that could start costing afterwards). It depends on what the landscape is like then; a lot can change in a few years in the world of Tesla (I hope it's all good!).