Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO P85 vs. 85 with AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was thinking the same thing actually a few weeks ago. After test driving the model s (refresh), i was having second thoughts on a model 3 (long range) because it will feel slow to me. i was amazed by the performance of the model s 90d that I drove. Now P85 will be super fast and now it's just a matter of. Do you value autopilot or speed more. For me, I would choose speed.

Reactions: KL670
I think it comes down to day to day use case. I no longer have a work commute where I sit in slow traffic. Truth be told, even when I was driving in to the office every day it was no big deal. As a result, while I liked the "idea" of autopilot, in practice it just wasn't important to me and I KNEW I would love the performance aspects so P85+ all the way for me. I see you are in the SFO area...as such, your brother's use case might be such that he NEVER gets to have any fun with it and AP could be a real boon to him. Of course, I have a feeling most folks who love AP would get almost as much benefit with many of the adaptive cruise control options out there on other cars too.

I'm already a little bummed at the thought of a possible Model 3 replacement in a few years that could be slower... dang first world problems.

Reactions: KL670
I had a P85D AP1 loaner when my P85 was in for 4 year service, the adaptive cruise would be great on trips, AP was a novelty but I wouldn't actually use it, fail to see the point if you need to have a hand on the wheel anyway. It is a critical step to FSD though.

This is what I thought initially, but AP really is a game changer on highway trips. You need to rest your hand somewhere, but the car is pretty forceful in keeping control and it monitors the resistance of your hand. I drove my CPO home 2000 miles and it was great, although it is difficult not to get distracted playing with the big screen.

It also includes saftey features such as auto brake and collision warning which was more of the reason I wanted AP in the first place. AP car means it is a later 2014 build which means more remaining battery warranty and higher VIN #.

S85 is a quick car. Auto pilot is a great feature for long trips or highway commuters.

P85 is substantially quicker off the line, if you have good tires on it, and it's not wet out, and your not in a corner.

You didn't say what he's currently driving.
I traded in one of a long line of 300HP cars and had no issue with the power of the S85.

Reactions: JPUConn
Do you value autopilot or speed more.

Agreed!

Here's a few other things to consider:
- the S85 is plenty fast - if you drive it before the P85, it will knock your socks off.
- Launching the P85 might get old after awhile, but Autopilot never does - ask your brother-in-law if he still drives his current M3/911/Testarossa/Camaro/Hellcat like a teenager
- if someone took my P85+ AP1 away, and gave me your dilemma, I'd pick the slower car with AP. It really is a life-changer.

Better yet - hold out for a P85+ with Autopilot - best car Tesla ever made. I'm selling mine in about 10 years. Ha ha.

Indeed I found the difference with the P model is using that extra torque to get the heavy car moving especially with a pretty full charge. Once already going, the S85 didn't seem that much slower 30-50 where you would normally use the acceleration in the real world . Given that I would keep the battery <70% for longevity, AP1 is the way to go.

I have a P85 with AP1. I would opt for the auto pilot all else being equal. AP1 is fantastic especially if you're stuck in traffic. TACC would be difficult to live without.

If he just takes it for joy rides on the weekend for just 10-20 miles at a time then the P would be better.

My brother in law currently drives a Prius so it doesn't take much to impress him
He does have a 40 plus mile commute so it probably makes sense for him to go AP.
S85 with AP. especially coming from a Prius.

AP adaptive CC in traffic would be nice- We have no traffic here
currently AP2 drives horribly in curves with hills and will make some people carsick, but I hear AP1 is nice

in the Bay Area I'd probably like adaptive CC over a P