Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO P85D Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After this long process I finally got an advisor assigned to me and was able to start seeing cars. I put a deposit down on a P85D in NY with just under 40k on the clock for $56k. The car has a large scratch on the quarter and door, but for the relatively cheap price of fixing the scratch I feel that a relatively clean otherwise P85D is a good buy for $56k. The surprise ludicrous mode was what made me decide to pull the trigger. Is this a decent buy or should I look elsewhere? BTW I was told the tire has already been repaired.

Dropbox - P64221 - Simplify your life

As long as the car does not have any other damage (is that a door ding I see on the driver's side door?) It is an okay buy but make sure there is no other interior or exterior damage. Your car might end up being at a body shop for about a week as they will have to repaint most of one side of the car to blend the paint. And then you will have to inspect everything to make sure they did a good job or have them repaint all over again.

Have you obtained a quote from a body shop to see how much it would cost to fix that damage?

What I find scary about this car is how low resolution those photos are. Have you seen the car in person? I hope there is not additional paint damage that you can't see due to the low quality and resolution of the photos.

If I were you, I would only buy an undamaged car, as I'd be wary buying a car that you need to take to a body shop for major paint work. There are CPO P85D cars that are sold undamaged in your price range but you just need to be patient to find one.

IMHO you are not receiving enough of a discount for the hassle, time and expense of major paint work. I've seen dealer, private party, and CPO P85Ds in that price range that does not require major paint work.

As long as the car does not have any other damage (is that a door ding I see on the driver's side door?) It is an okay buy but make sure there is no other interior or exterior damage. Your car might end up being at a body shop for about a week as they will have to repaint most of one side of the car to blend the paint. And then you will have to inspect everything to make sure they did a good job or have them repaint all over again.

Have you obtained a quote from a body shop to see how much it would cost to fix that damage?

What I find scary about this car is how low resolution those photos are. Have you seen the car in person? I hope there is not additional paint damage that you can't see due to the low quality and resolution of the photos.

If I were you, I would only buy an undamaged car, as I'd be wary buying a car that you need to take to a body shop for major paint work. There are CPO P85D cars that are sold undamaged in your price range but you just need to be patient to find one.

IMHO you are not receiving enough of a discount for the hassle, time and expense of major paint work. I've seen dealer, private party, and CPO P85Ds in that price range that does not require major paint work.

I’ve seen Tesla’s report for what the body repair is and it was ~$1800. I feel pretty confident I can get it done for less than that. Being a straight black I feel pretty comfortable doing it myself as well, I did auto body for a short time and black is pretty easy to blend. Even at that we are at $58k for a highly optioned lower mileage P85DL. I don’t disagree about the price. I’ve seen a few in the low 50s in better condition. I guess I am afraid that I will regret not getting the Ludicrous if I don’t do it now, and for $56000 I’d be hard pressed to find another Ludicrous car. At least I think.

Awesome car, looks like a pretty damn good deal. Does it have air suspension? I found that to be sneaky underrated feature when driving one with it. Very useful depending on where/how you drive. Also, is the mfg date’14? Is that still on the 3G connectivity?i’m new here, but if it was, is that something that can be upgraded? Prob a big difference in the 3g vs LTE response time on the UI.

I’m hoping an 85D comes up, with the options i’m Looking for, but my top line budget is 10k less than this. This seems like a great deal. I’ll be in the slow lane with us peasants in our 70D’s :)

It has everything except the rear facing seats and the cold weather package I think. I did auto body for a short time. I plan on having it wrapped with Xpel Stealth. I feel pretty confident I can fix the body work myself for next to nothing.

If it’s got air suspension, premium interior, premium audio, etc then it is a smoking deal

The + suspension and next gen rear seats are bonuses. Only downside is no cold weather package. You will miss that in the winters.

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: BrokerDon

With all due respect, i find you saying this same response to literally every members question regarding the purchase they are contimplating. Maybe there is, but from the sounds of it, this, and most other members who you’ve responded similarly to, have found pretty damn good deals for pretty damn good prices. This one specifically. It’s discouraging to repeatedly tell members the deals they are looking at are bad and they can find better if they wait. I don’t doubt you have good intentions and are just trying to be helpful, but you seem to post oftenly regarding deals not being good (when most clearly think they are).

Has anyone else seen a loaded P85D with 40k miles for less than $56k?

Last edited:
With all due respect, i find you saying this same response to literally every members question regarding the purchase they are contimplating. Maybe there is, but from the sounds of it, this, and most other members who you’ve responded similarly to, have found pretty damn good deals for pretty damn good prices. This one specifically. It’s discouraging to repeatedly tell members the deals they are looking at are bad and they can find better if they wait. I don’t doubt you have good intentions and are just trying to be helpful, but you seem to post oftenly regarding deals not being good (when most clearly think they are).

I think it may be that some people are just unaware what goes in to a repair. I took his response to mean well, but not really very helpful. I did auto body for a short time. I have the tools to fix it myself if I really wanted to. Also being black it is an even easier repair since blending isn’t really a thing. This whole CPO process has people scared, myself included. I feel I could throw $5k in repairs into this car and still have a hell of a deal, and it shouldn’t be anywhere close to that.

I think it may be that some people are just unaware what goes in to a repair. I took his response to mean well, but not really very helpful. I did auto body for a short time. I have the tools to fix it myself if I really wanted to. Also being black it is an even easier repair since blending isn’t really a thing. This whole CPO process has people scared, myself included. I feel I could throw $5k in repairs into this car and still have a hell of a deal, and it shouldn’t be anywhere close to that.
Exactly. And i like said, i’m Sure we’re all here to just help each other. There was just a theme of most peoples “considering buying” threads that the user kept essentially saying, there’s better deals, or that deal isn’t good, or you could get more, wait, etc... As most have noticed, dope Tesla’s for great deals are SOLD, within days/hours.

Yikes I was just trying to help someone looking to buy a car. It is best that a damaged car be bought by someone who is familiar with bodywork and this happened to be the case with @asmills. I still think it is a bad idea to pay around $60K for a used car needing a bunch of body work by most people who would not know the cost or effort of body work and will be at the mercy of a body shop on their own dime.

I would not touch a car with damage that required body work and repainting multiple body panels at these prices but that is me and someone else might find the risk and effort palatable.

As for your request of P85Ds in the late 50s that are sold without body damage and does not require body panels to be repainted after purchase, here you go... Just note that these are "asking prices" so there could be room for further negotiation. This is what I found with just a minute or two of searching. Finding a P85D to purchase for the late $50Ks with less than 50K miles and in pristine condition is not a big deal.

Model S / 2014 / Midnight Silver - 7baee | Only Used Tesla
Model S / 2014 / White - 602da | Only Used Tesla
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/746212143/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/749762155/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/747831224/overview/

When for around the same cost, you can buy a car that is undamaged that does not require work at a body shop/repainting, I tend to think it is better to buy the car that is not damaged.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Looks great, especially if you're familiar with the work necessary to fix the blemishes. Build date is 12/14 so you're looking at one of the ~300 P85D's produced with the + suspension - not to mention it also has the Ludicrous upgrade.

Delivery in Mt. Kisco? We might bump into each other picking up our CPO's.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I picked it up today. The paint was worse than I expected. I did decide it was still worth it. It did come with additional extras I didn’t expect. I was presently surprised to have a matching matte obeche center console rather than just the yacht floor as advertised. It has brand new super sports all around. It also has twin charging. Overall I’m pretty happy with my purchase. I’ll get the cosmetic damage repaired and get it wrapped and it’ll look great.