TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CPO P85D or New 75D

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by alsarsur, May 14, 2018.

1. alsarsur

alsarsur Member

what are your thoughts here in getting a 2015 CPO P85D or a new 75D?
    Trying to see other than new front end and EAP what is better to look at.

Or possibly wait for P3D as I think my reservation should be called up soon.

Thanks

2. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Changes:
    Seats: new ones have adjustable headrests and are synthetic leather
    New, faster MCU
    Graphite trim on new orders
    Space for HEPA filter, can be added aftermarket
    Better interior lighting
    Power liftgate standard
    Glass roof standard
    Support for 5GHz wifi

3. alsarsur

alsarsur Member

Thanks for info...I think based on reading forums looks like best to wait to see what happens this week with pricing and timing of a P3D and then go from there.

4. pkodali

pkodali Banned

BTW sent you a PM. If you do go with the Model S and need a referral code, let me know

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

75D for sure.
    better built
    nearly same 0-60 after the uncork
    AP 2.5 has more potential
    MCU new noted
    newer fascia and modern look

wait one week to be able to compare to M3PD

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

No choice, a new anything, start with new car and warranty.

• Like x 1
  7. 75Shappyt

75Shappyt Member

do new 75D, need a referral code?

8. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

A 75D does NOT have the same 0-60 after uncork as a P85D. Even the old P85 is still a tad faster than an uncorked 75D (I had the joy of racing someone 2 weeks ago in a 75D uncorked).

75D UC - 4.1s (listed by Tesla as 4.2)
    P85 - 3.9s (listed by Tesla as 4.1)
    P85D - 3.1s (2.8s if Ludicrous)

The 75D looks better with that refresh front, and has goodies like AP2, but if you are going for just pure performance, the P85D is the best of the group in this discussion.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

I think center console comes standard now.

10. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

If you can find a fully loaded pre-April 2015 P85D Ludicrous in good condition, I'd recommend that over a new 75D. AP1 is still "better" than AP2. Pre-April 2015 P85Ds have the Performance Plus suspension. Some P85Ds have the NextGen rear seats which look nicer and have better side bolstering than the current seats. Other P85Ds have the executive rear seats. MCU1 running software 2018.16 or newer is almost as fast as MCU2. LTE can be retrofitted. Premium center console can be retrofitted so the interior looks the same as or better (Alcantara on the dash which has since been discontinued) than the current Model S.

• Like x 2
  11. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

The only thing going for AP1 vs AP2 at this point is less nags. Older MCU almost being as fast is like saying the 75D uncorked is almost as fast a P100D. Not going to happen. Why would you want an older MCU that has been sitting out in the sun for 3yrs and who knows if it is going to delaminate at any moment? One thing going for the P85 is a real windshield wiper sensor rather than using cameras to detect rain.

• Like x 1
  12. Markk993

Markk993 Member

early P85D with + suspension = best Tesla ever made...followed by my P85+ of course LOL

• Like x 1
  13. kev1n

kev1n Member

i was in the same situation and i personally went with the P85D

my reasons:
    1. + suspension
    2. faster car
    3. front/rear nex gen seats
    4. AP1 works just fine and does what i need, i dont care about AP2/FSD at this time
    5. new MCU wasnt out yet but that isnt a deal breaker either, the old MCU functions just fine.
    6. either exterior look would of been fine but i slightly like the older look more

i think it all comes down to whether you want the newer tech and exterior look(75D) or if you want the sportier car, performance/+ suspension(P85D)

14. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

MCU1 with the latest software is definitely almost as fast as MCU2. I know because I had all 3 (MCU1 on old software, MCU1 on new software, and MCU2). There are youtube videos showing the improvement. In fact, the improvement is so significant that I'm probably going to pass on the MCU2 retrofit.

15. alsarsur

alsarsur Member

Thank you all for the wealth of information.

So I m will see what CPOs are available and production dates etc.
    Also will hope to see the P3D actually released for orders with details this week to see where that lands.

16. stoneskid

stoneskid Member

I am on the fence about selling my Dec 14 P85D with plus suspension. If you are interested PM me and we can talk.

17. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Don't buy any Tesla unless it has at least 2 years of warranty or a car you can buy an ESA for.

18. mrneef

mrneef Member

I was in that dilemma last week.

Picked up the 2014 CPO P85D MS instead. Only thing I envy is the front end refreshed.

AP1 is more than enough for what I need. The Next gen seats are awesome.

Fortunately mine came mint, wheels and all and came with new tires.

The 75D is nice and uncorked is even nicer. But with similar mileage range I went with the P85D. I recently brought it in for service and got a P85+ as a loaner and I immediately felt the difference, and that’s owning the P85D for mere 3 days.

If I could do it all over again, I think I may go with the 75D if it really is 4.2 0-60 and based off the front end and new car. Couldn’t stomach the deprivation tho.

19. Iluvpcs

Iluvpcs Member

Good point about depreciation - P85d already taking 40-55% hit. Where will a new 75d be in 36 months as well as a used P85d aged at ~6 years old. I’m betting the P85d will be slightly higher in 2021 if current 2012/2013 85s is any reference/indicator after 5-6 years.
    (Sorry for typos on cell phone)

20. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

New. New is always better. the range for a 75D and an older P85 is roughly the same anyways. Sure 1 second faster acceleration would be nice, but don't let that be the primary reason u pick one car over another.