Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cpo p85d vs new 75d

What Tesla Should I Get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

So I’m ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla. However, I can’t decide over a p85d or a new 75d please help. My ideal 75d costs $84,000 but I also found the perfect p85d for $72,000: Inventory Search | Tesla
Please help me decide.

P.S. I also love the refresh look, should I wait for cpo P90D refresh models to drop into the low $70,000s. If so how much longer will I have to wait?

-All the best, Daniel

Wait for a DU01 performance model then - one made after June 2017. I think these will be found to have much better reliability and performance headroom.

Might have to wait for a P100D. Tesla might have made made a few inventory 90Ds after that date but probably not P90Ds.

Last edited:
I'm obviously biased but I love my CPO P85D. Get a brand new warranty, already has taken a huge depreciation hit (over 40% from new sticker price), and launching the thing in Insane Mode is a thing of beauty. So is watching your passenger's reactions. The specific P85D you linked above also likely has the + suspension, if that matters to you. Mine did and although it wasn't a huge priority for me I'm happy I have it now.

P85D. The performance blows the 75D out of the water, it's just not close (2.8s 0-60 vs. 4.1s).

If you are someone that likes to "look pretty" then get the 75D. If you want to floor it at a stoplight, get the P85D.

Some P85D's have the + suspension as well. Many around here would say a P85D+ is the best car Tesla ever made.

I'm obviously biased but I love my CPO P85D. Get a brand new warranty, already has taken a huge depreciation hit (over 40% from new sticker price), and launching the thing in Insane Mode is a thing of beauty. So is watching your passenger's reactions. The specific P85D you linked above also likely has the + suspension, if that matters to you. Mine did and although it wasn't a huge priority for me I'm happy I have it now.
How soon do you think P90D cars will reach the $70,000 price point

Tough decision depending on what your priorities are...

Get a new 75D if:
  • You like the facelift
  • You want AP2
  • You prefer a smaller and lighter Model S (yes the new 75D feels noticeable smaller than older non-facelift models)
  • You want newer faster MCU
  • You want the exact color and interior combo you prefer

Get the used P85D if:
  • You want Ludacris Acceleration
  • You want Performance suspension
  • You don't mind AP1
  • You prefer Next Gen Seats over the standard Tesla Premium Seats (I Prefer the tight hug the Next Gen has over Premium)
  • You don't mind standard Audio instead of Ultra High Fidelity Audio (Standard is horrible in comparison)
  • You are ok with the color and interior combo

Tough decision depending on what your priorities are...

Get a new 75D if:
  • You like the facelift
  • You want AP2
  • You prefer a smaller and lighter Model S (yes the new 75D feels noticeable smaller than older non-facelift models)
  • You want newer faster MCU
  • You want the exact color and interior combo you prefer

Get the used P85D if:
  • You want Performance suspension
  • You don't mind AP1
  • You prefer Next Gen Seats over the standard Tesla Premium Seats (I Prefer the tight hug the Next Gen has over Premium)
  • You don't mind standard Audio instead of Ultra High Fidelity Audio (Standard is horrible in comparison)
  • You are ok with the color and interior combo

Couple corrections here:
1) you can get the refresh look with an aftermarket bumper (about $3k)
2) I believe that the next gen seats were available for the P85D cars
3) You can DEFINITELY get the high-end audio on the P85D, and I believe it was standard as part of the tech package (I don't recall seeing a P85D without the tech package)
4) Colors haven't changed much on the Model S.

Get the used P85D if:

Very few P85Ds have Ludicrous mode as it was only available as an $5k upgrade .. but all P85Ds have Insane mode.

You want Performance suspension

Most (but not all) P85Ds made before May, 2015 have the Performance + suspension. After May, 2015 I've only seen one outlier case of the + suspension on a P85D.

3) You can DEFINITELY get the high-end audio on the P85D, and I believe it was standard as part of the tech package (I don't recall seeing a P85D without the tech package)

They were separate options at the time. It's possible to have either one, or both on a P85D.

Last edited: