Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cpo p85d vs new 75d

What Tesla Should I Get?

• Total voters

Daniel.me___

Sep 3, 2017
New York City
Hello everyone,

So I’m ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla. However, I can’t decide over a p85d or a new 75d please help. My ideal 75d costs $84,000 but I also found the perfect p85d for $72,000: Inventory Search | Tesla
Please help me decide.

P.S. I also love the refresh look, should I wait for cpo P90D refresh models to drop into the low $70,000s. If so how much longer will I have to wait?

-All the best, Daniel

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
New for all the reasons listed. Only a performance model might depreciate enough to buy used. Not to mention the tax credit for new.

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
Wait for a DU01 performance model then - one made after June 2017. I think these will be found to have much better reliability and performance headroom.

Might have to wait for a P100D. Tesla might have made made a few inventory 90Ds after that date but probably not P90Ds.

Last edited:

Litigate28

Feb 18, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I'm obviously biased but I love my CPO P85D. Get a brand new warranty, already has taken a huge depreciation hit (over 40% from new sticker price), and launching the thing in Insane Mode is a thing of beauty. So is watching your passenger's reactions. The specific P85D you linked above also likely has the + suspension, if that matters to you. Mine did and although it wasn't a huge priority for me I'm happy I have it now.

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
P85D. The performance blows the 75D out of the water, it's just not close (2.8s 0-60 vs. 4.1s).

If you are someone that likes to "look pretty" then get the 75D. If you want to floor it at a stoplight, get the P85D.

Some P85D's have the + suspension as well. Many around here would say a P85D+ is the best car Tesla ever made.

Daniel.me___

Sep 3, 2017
New York City
I'm obviously biased but I love my CPO P85D. Get a brand new warranty, already has taken a huge depreciation hit (over 40% from new sticker price), and launching the thing in Insane Mode is a thing of beauty. So is watching your passenger's reactions. The specific P85D you linked above also likely has the + suspension, if that matters to you. Mine did and although it wasn't a huge priority for me I'm happy I have it now.
How soon do you think P90D cars will reach the $70,000 price point

jlewisthe3rd

Oct 15, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Tough decision depending on what your priorities are...

Get a new 75D if:
  • You like the facelift
  • You want AP2
  • You prefer a smaller and lighter Model S (yes the new 75D feels noticeable smaller than older non-facelift models)
  • You want newer faster MCU
  • You want the exact color and interior combo you prefer

Get the used P85D if:
  • You want Ludacris Acceleration
  • You want Performance suspension
  • You don't mind AP1
  • You prefer Next Gen Seats over the standard Tesla Premium Seats (I Prefer the tight hug the Next Gen has over Premium)
  • You don't mind standard Audio instead of Ultra High Fidelity Audio (Standard is horrible in comparison)
  • You are ok with the color and interior combo

bkp_duke

May 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
Tough decision depending on what your priorities are...

Get a new 75D if:
  • You like the facelift
  • You want AP2
  • You prefer a smaller and lighter Model S (yes the new 75D feels noticeable smaller than older non-facelift models)
  • You want newer faster MCU
  • You want the exact color and interior combo you prefer

Get the used P85D if:
  • You want Performance suspension
  • You don't mind AP1
  • You prefer Next Gen Seats over the standard Tesla Premium Seats (I Prefer the tight hug the Next Gen has over Premium)
  • You don't mind standard Audio instead of Ultra High Fidelity Audio (Standard is horrible in comparison)
  • You are ok with the color and interior combo

Couple corrections here:
1) you can get the refresh look with an aftermarket bumper (about $3k)
2) I believe that the next gen seats were available for the P85D cars
3) You can DEFINITELY get the high-end audio on the P85D, and I believe it was standard as part of the tech package (I don't recall seeing a P85D without the tech package)
4) Colors haven't changed much on the Model S.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
Get the used P85D if:

Very few P85Ds have Ludicrous mode as it was only available as an $5k upgrade .. but all P85Ds have Insane mode.

You want Performance suspension

Most (but not all) P85Ds made before May, 2015 have the Performance + suspension. After May, 2015 I've only seen one outlier case of the + suspension on a P85D.

3) You can DEFINITELY get the high-end audio on the P85D, and I believe it was standard as part of the tech package (I don't recall seeing a P85D without the tech package)

They were separate options at the time. It's possible to have either one, or both on a P85D.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC