Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO P85D with or without ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm well now that the new 75D's are 0-60 in 4.2 seconds the gap between the low end current Tesla Model S and the ~2 years ago top of the line P85D has narrowed even further. Perhaps I'll lose a little bit of the acceleration but gain AP2 and go with a new 75D.

Anyone else considering the same thing that's look at P85D's?

If you want "boat" suspension go for a new 75D :D. No way you can pull 1500 A from a 75D, which is important at higher/overtaking speeds

Attachments

• 2017-06-30 21.36.27.png
    2017-06-30 21.36.27.png
    850.6 KB · Views: 84
You think buying a CPO performance vehicle is alright because it's different than a gas powered one perhaps?

No, it's just an old tired stereotype that every owner of a performance vehicle hammers on it 24x7 and launches it every single opportunity.

If what he says is true, it holds true for every single P85, P85+, P85D, P90D, P100D owner/driver. So nobody should ever buy one of those used because the previous owner most assuredly drove it like a 17 year old who's out joyriding in his daddy's car.

My other car is a 2002 BMW M5, and yeah, I might kick on it once in awhile, but that car, just like the Pxx Teslas, are designed and built for that. And for the Tesla P cars, they are still just a few moving parts, and they don't suffer the same stress that ICE vehicles do under load.

Case in point, my first Tesla was a P85+ Inventory Demo/Loaner car with 8k miles on it. When I took delivery, it was in "like new" condition, and I had no problems with it. I sold it earlier this year with 45k miles on it, and the new owner is just as happy. I then turned around and bought a USED P85D (gasp!) with 20k miles on it. The car was in great condition, and so far, I've also had no problems with it. There's no reason to ASSUME that I, as the previous owner of the P85+, or the guy I bought the P85D from were uncontrolled maniacs launching the cars and slamming the pedal down at every single opportunity. But it's nice to have that power and handling there when needed.

So let me ask you this -- Tesla has sold nearly 2,400 CPO Performance cars in their CPO program that we know about, likely hundreds more on top of that which are unreported. How many of those buyers have posted on TMC (or elsewhere) how abused their car was because the previous owner hammered on it too much?

And it's not just "P" cars -- regular non-P Teslas also have pretty amazing acceleration performance just due to the electric motor.. so now people should stay away from those cars to because those owners might have been doing the same thing?

So basically nobody should ever buy a used Tesla. Got it.

Most of those P85D's on CPO listing have been sitting there forever. No one wants a CPO P85D because everyone knows that people who have P models will launch them off every stop light and on every freeway on-ramp and so unless you're getting a crazy discount you want to avoid a car that the previous owner beat up that badly every day.

Well, with a 4 year 50k mile warranty, I don't really care what the prior owner did in the 40k miles they owned my P85. I drive mine like a grandma the majority of the time, and the only issues I have had with it in 10k miles is a leaky pano roof.
I feel the opposite as you. P models are priced essentially the same as non-P models, so why not get the P? We just bought a 2nd CPO and chose a P85D.

I never have people in my backseat..until last night had some out of town friends who had never been in a Tesla before (and did several Insane launches -- they were impressed).

Several times they mentioned how fitting and comfortable and sporty the rear next gen seats were. I wonder why Tesla discontinued them?
Because nether fat friends nor car seats can fit in the rear NG seats. And they don't fold quite flat.

I know about the fold flat part, but really it's not much different than my P85+ was. Folded down, I can pretty much load up the car the same as before.

I didn't know about the car seat problem, that makes sense. But since it's really just a formed piece of leather covered foam, why not let people order it as an option, or even as a service-center installable accessory after delivery?

They really are nice seats!

No, there is no good way to tell on the CPOs that I am aware of. If you want the "plus" suspension for sure, buy a 2014 P85D. Once you get into the 2015s, you need the build date to guess and access to the actual car to verify. I ordered VIN 65979 as a CPO and it does have the plus suspension. ....

I just ordered a CPO 2014 P85D, VIN# 651xx. So it should also have the "plus" suspension, correct? My wife has a P85+ and I'm used to its suspension now. I'd hate to downgrade in my car.