Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO P85D with or without ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at a CPO P85D but wasn't sure if I should try and find one with or without ludicrous. I know we're right at the time where AP1 is about as good as it will get and AP2 will continue to pull away but since I work from home and won't be driving a ton of miles I'm not as concerned about missing AP2.

When I look at the CPO listings on Tesla's website I don't see any difference in acceleration between the P85D and the P85D with ludicrous but I assume that's just their website not providing enough granular data.

I vaguely recall the initial non ludicrous P85D's weren't putting out the horsepower that Tesla claimed and as such there was a lawsuit in Europe where they paid some owners back some money.

Any owners of either variant care to comment?

Looks like $75k - $80k for a fairly well optioned CPO is the current price. Is that pretty good?

I have a P85D that was a P85D originally. I dithered over the upgrade. It makes a huge and obvious difference for acceleration between ~30mph and ~80mph so passing is quicker and responsiveness at highway speeds is much improved. I tracked before-after Wh/mi and found no discernible difference. Clearly if many more launches are made one way or the other that will have a big impact, but the upgrade itself has no measurable effect on efficiency AFAIK. The inconel fuse that permits Ludicrous to exist does in theory have a longer life expectancy than does the conventional fuse before it but the new one does also have a small battery that must eventually be replaced.

On balance I'd certainly opt for the Ludicrous rather than the Insane.

I presume that's probably about the going rate. I'm about to move to a new one myself and I expect to get somewhere in that range.

I have a P85D that was a P85D originally. I dithered over the upgrade. It makes a huge and obvious difference for acceleration between ~30mph and ~80mph so passing is quicker and responsiveness at highway speeds is much improved. I tracked before-after Wh/mi and found no discernible difference. Clearly if many more launches are made one way or the other that will have a big impact, but the upgrade itself has no measurable effect on efficiency AFAIK. The inconel fuse that permits Ludicrous to exist does in theory have a longer life expectancy than does the conventional fuse before it but the new one does also have a small battery that must eventually be replaced.

On balance I'd certainly opt for the Ludicrous rather than the Insane.

I presume that's probably about the going rate. I'm about to move to a new one myself and I expect to get somewhere in that range.

This is good info thanks.

general observation,
if it were a good deal, it would be sold already.
now if you're talking about that is how much they regularly go for, sure

So just pay for a subscription to one of the ev price tracking websites and compare what was shown there with what is live currently is a good strategy?

This is good info thanks.

So just pay for a subscription to one of the ev price tracking websites and compare what was shown there with what is live currently is a good strategy?

that would be a good start. you can see historical data of what previous p85d sold for but you really have to be quick. the really good deals dont last more than 20mins of posting. lowest p85d ive seen is $63k but i think it had like 90k miles on it

that would be a good start. you can see historical data of what previous p85d sold for but you really have to be quick. the really good deals dont last more than 20mins of posting. lowest p85d ive seen is $63k but i think it had like 90k miles on it

So should I just talk to a CPO adviser instead and give them the options I'd like to have and let them look as well so they can give me a call when the right car comes up?

(After checking historical sales prices I should have a good sense of if the deal they bring me is good or not type of thing)

So should I just talk to a CPO adviser instead and give them the options I'd like to have and let them look as well so they can give me a call when the right car comes up?

(After checking historical sales prices I should have a good sense of if the deal they bring me is good or not type of thing)

I've had mix reviews with that in california, i told them what i wanted and my price range and they just looked once and said there is nothing available and wasnt willing to help further, to top it off. the few cars they did show me were way over priced, 5-10k more than similar ones you would see just looking yourself.

I don't know if they sell THAT fast. I saw the 63k P85D for a couple of days. The lack of warranty (or shortness of it) kept me from jumping on it. The one I am currently looking at has been listed since they "opened the flood gates" and listed all the CPOs, so it has been about a month. Still trying to find out if the Ludicrous upgrade is tied to that car and available to purchase but I have had no response from my pre-owned sales advisor. The white P85D has been listed since March and has dropped from 84k down to 80k and is about to break 50k miles (was listed originally around 47k miles) so I am wondering if they will drop the 4/50 CPO warranty on it and give it the 2yr/100k. Interested if they do change the warranty to see if the price drops more.

Many/most "Day 1" P85Ds through April, 2015 had the Performance Plus suspension from the P85+. I would say that's a significant downgrade for the later P85Ds that don't have it.

Finding a P85D with plus-suspension and Ludicrous upgrade would be the perfect catch!

How do you even find something like this? Is there a way to see the date off just the vin number?

How do you even find something like this? Is there a way to see the date off just the vin number?

I recently just ordered a CPO P85D. I used EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings to find it. You can subscribe for a small fee and setup whatever alerts you wish including Ludicrous and + suspension. Currently there are only two P85Ds with Ludicrous and they are priced in the eighties. There are lots of good deals in the seventies and the occasional high mileage one even less.

I recently just ordered a CPO P85D. I used EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings to find it. You can subscribe for a small fee and setup whatever alerts you wish including Ludicrous and + suspension. Currently there are only two P85Ds with Ludicrous and they are priced in the eighties. There are lots of good deals in the seventies and the occasional high mileage one even less.

What price did you pay and what options? Just trying to get a sense of what is good

I would opt for an early P85D which has the plus suspension and next gen seats in both front and rear. Do not care that much about milage.

P85Ds have air suspension if produced before 30. april 2015. You can put the car on 'high' and look for this parnumber on the damper: 1030608-01-A

If you have the original invoice it should state SU02 and not SU01.

Last edited:
I would opt for an early P85D which has the plus suspension and next gen seats in both front and rear.

I never have people in my backseat..until last night had some out of town friends who had never been in a Tesla before (and did several Insane launches -- they were impressed).

Several times they mentioned how fitting and comfortable and sporty the rear next gen seats were. I wonder why Tesla discontinued them?

No, there is no good way to tell on the CPOs that I am aware of. If you want the "plus" suspension for sure, buy a 2014 P85D. Once you get into the 2015s, you need the build date to guess and access to the actual car to verify. I ordered VIN 65979 as a CPO and it does have the plus suspension. I was not able to tell that when we ordered it, but an advisor might be able to get you the build date. Anything before April 30 SHOULD have the plus suspension, however, nothing is ever garunteed in Tesla land.

I can say that the plus suspension is totally awesome. We ended up with a 2014 P85D loaner once with a staggered setup and it was amazing. Not too harsh, but still corners like it was on rails - I would say the definition of a sports/luxury suspension.