Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Pickup and Road Trip Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening Ladies and Gents,

I will be picking up a 2016 S 75 next week and wanted your thoughts on what I should check and confirm before I sign off. The pictures I received looked great and the only issues (exterior/interior) were rock chips on the front bumper. Also the tesla emblem is missing from the trunk (you think the shop will put one on for free???).
15c43e68-81e8-458d-9953-71d0c92d86e6.jpg

4eaf7655-7afc-432b-a1be-af10c8f08ce6.jpg

I will be flying into Chicago from Atlanta and making the drive back myself (the mission is to get home the same night). Any advice on which route to take or superchargers to avoid would be greatly appreciated. Below is the route from A Better Route Planner:

upload_2018-10-18_19-3-38.png

Any apps or options that would help make my trip smoother or more entertaining?

Thanks.

I would insist on a Due Bill for the rear emblem.

Make sure the car comes with a second remote, floor mats, parcel shelf, charging cable and adapters (J1772, NEMA 5-15 (for standard US outlets) and NEMA 14-50). If any of those are missing, put them on the Due Bill too.

Bring a USB drive with your favorite music, flac or MP3. Other types may work, but I haven't tried them yet.

Install the Tesla app and login the night before. Your car should show up prior to your delivery.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ghosty

Make sure the car comes with a second remote, floor mats, parcel shelf, charging cable and adapters (J1772, NEMA 5-15 (for standard US outlets) and NEMA 14-50). If any of those are missing, put them on the Due Bill too.

Bring a USB drive with your favorite music, flac or MP3. Other types may work, but I haven't tried them yet.

Install the Tesla app and login the night before. Your car should show up prior to your delivery.
Will it show up on the app before delivery? I read other threads that made it seem like it can be weeks. I asked my advisor and she told me around 24 hours after delivery. I pick mine up Saturday. Being in the app at the start would be awesome. Why the USB drive and not streaming?

Reactions: AtlantaRED
Will it show up on the app before delivery? I read other threads that made it seem like it can be weeks. I asked my advisor and she told me around 24 hours after delivery. I pick mine up Saturday. Being in the app at the start would be awesome. Why the USB drive and not streaming?
Mine did a few days before but it was disabled until about 30 minutes before I showed up, Understandable because they are usually prepping your car.

I picked mine up at that location great guys, took less than thirty minutes, make sure to bring change for toll roads :) no way you are getting home without paying them. Most don't make change. I let the the car navigate me home as it will route you around superchargers. I had to make an extra stop in Normal, IL to recharge from my fun I had when I got it.

I heard there is some lag with the streaming but I don't know how it affects the music as far as skipping or pausing during play.

Great advice Russell. Who would you suggest talking to? Customer service has been extremely lacking. My SA is awesome but communication is slow and they keep stressing what you buy is AS-IS. Their used car manager for the region was a total piece of work. Should I reach out to the service center where its located or the SA? Thanks

Inspect all four door handles, trunk, frunk, charger port door (tap to open and make sure it closes on its own), check out screen for any discoloration, check lane changing blinkers.

I'd suggest you have an initial setup for controls - set up your Blue tooth before you leave, adjust options for autopilot and settings for driving options, etc.

Congratulations again! Beautiful ride!

I heard there is some lag with the streaming but I don't know how it affects the music as far as skipping or pausing during play.
No lag, yours like mine has LTE, the 3G usually has a little lag. Streaming is a bit more compressed than a regular MP3, but its not too bad. Sometimes I notice the extreme low end missing. Still sounds good and I use it daily. Canceled my Spotify for it. Since Tesla will give you the login so you can use slacker on your phone too for free.

Great advice Russell. Who would you suggest talking to? Customer service has been extremely lacking. My SA is awesome but communication is slow and they keep stressing what you buy is AS-IS. Their used car manager for the region was a total piece of work. Should I reach out to the service center where its located or the SA? Thanks
I would start with you SA to see if they can help. Worst case talk to the service center and see how much it is, tell them its missing and see if they will do it for free for customer satisfaction. My service center has been extremely helpful and been able to give me things after the sale for free. I was missing all of the mat anchors and they gave me an entire bag of them no charge. Same with the license plate screws when I went to put plates on the screws were missing from the car. They just gave me some and even put the plates on while I waited.

I've done several long (1500+ mile) road trips, including picking my S up in PHX and driving straight back to StL. I've hit a few of the superchargers along your route as well. I would say for your first trip, definitely listen to the Tesla navigation and stop when it tells you - you definitely save more time by stopping more frequently and charging to 75-80% than trying to push and charge to 90%+.

If you end up stopping in Nashville (Brentwood), that is nice and at their showroom, but those chargers are sometimes full during the day. If you are there during business hours they are very friendly to chat with, there are restrooms and wifi for guests.

Chattanooga is a little unusual that it is at the airport, in a gated lot. You do get an hour or two free, so you should not have to pay to charge there. I was there about 2am, so not sure what amenities are available there during the day.

Also keep in mind, the two biggest things that affect your range are temperature and elevation change. Anything below 40ish will really reduce your range, and big inclines will zap you as well (thinking through East Tennessee) - so just keep an eye on things and reducing speed will definitely save energy.

Good luck with your delivery and with your first road trip, and most of all enjoy the ride!!

Also, don't forget to ask for a copy of signed delivery papers (contracts, financing, ...) from the delivery guy. When I picked up mine from Tempe Arizona, he did not give me anything. I had to end up calling the delivery center a few times to get the papers emailed to me.

FYI titling paperwork is done at corporate, they fedex everything you need to take to DMV within a few weeks. When I was there I gave them the check, signed two bill of sales to be submitted to the state of IL as my car was from there. The tech guy helped me setup the car to my profile and walked me around all the features. They then took a few pictures of me with the car staged and off I went. (Since Tesla loves word of mouth sales, they will help you get that perfect social media picture)

The car should come with a 30 day drive away tag, since you are an out of state resident.

The one thing i would say - Patience. Your day is going to be full of excitement, have fun and welcome to the family :)

- Don't expect the Service Center to deliver the car fully charged, it would be probably around 50%, plan accordingly.
- Don't expect the Super Chargers to be working at full capacity (i.e, reduce charge rate, stall paring.., etc...).
- if you don't have 240v charging already at home: Plan for at least additional stop after your final destination during trip planning (to a SC or a high speed charger)
- Plan your day along the Superchargers you visit.

Last edited: