Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Price vs Blue Book

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at the following

Tesla CPO
2013 Model S85
32,000 miles

EXTERIOR
Brown Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Aerodynamic Wheels

INTERIOR
Tan Performance Leather Seats
Piano Black Décor
Standard Headliner

OPTIONS
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
Extended Nappa Leather Trim
Premium Interior Lighting

$63,000

KBB on this car comes up at $58K and NADA is about $48K. These aren't taking into account CPO at all, but the NADA value just surprised me. Comparing the other CPO cars, the values is pretty spot on but Tesla is setting all those prices.

I searched for threads on this and didn't really see anything directly related.

It seems more like NADA is just wrong. The 3rd party market for Tesla's is tiny so there won't be much data for them to draw from, and its possible that things like salvages are pulling down their estimate.

As for KBB vs CPO, I would absolutely say that the CPO adds $5k to the value of the car. You get an extra ~3 years and 30k miles of warranty, which is very likely to be worth a few grand. Add in the piece of mind of buying from Tesla, and its a better idea to go with the CPO.

As for KBB vs CPO, I would absolutely say that the CPO adds $5k to the value of the car. You get an extra ~3 years and 30k miles of warranty, which is very likely to be worth a few grand. Add in the piece of mind of buying from Tesla, and its a better idea to go with the CPO.
Its actually 4yr/50k miles for CPO from Tesla, but I agree with you that it adds about $5k in value compared to cars out of warranty (or darn close to it).

Right, but the car has a year and 20k of miles worth of the original warranty left on it, thus you get an extra ~3 years and 30k miles.

CPO warranty resets when the new owner takes delivery. If his CPO currently has 32k on it now, it'll be covered (up to) 82k or 4 years from the date its delivered to the new owner, under the CPO limited warranty.

Also if OP is seriously considering a CPO, $63k for a '13 S85 with 32k miles seems high, I paid less for a '13 P85+ just last month with similar options. Check out the Tesla CPO consolidator sites like EV-CPO.com to get an idea of pricing, and contact your local CPO adviser for cars that may have not been listed.

Last edited:
CPO warranty resets when the new owner takes delivery. If his CPO currently has 32k on it now, it'll be covered (up to) 82k or 4 years from the date its delivered to the new owner, under the CPO limited warranty.

Also if OP is seriously considering a CPO, $63k for a '13 S85 with 32k miles seems high, I paid less for a '13 P85+ just last month with similar options. Check out the Tesla CPO consolidator sites like EV-CPO.com to get an idea of pricing, and contact your local CPO adviser for cars that may have not been listed.

It would seem buying from another owner that has purchased the extended warranty is a better deal.
I purchased from an owner when the car had 18k miles. The extended warranty is good to 100k miles or 4 years. It adds to the end of the original warranty.

I asked about buying an extended warranty on a CPO car and was told no. I pointed out this discrepancy also - you can get more warranty by buying a used one from a private party and paying the first owner to extend the warranty before the transfer. Just got blank stares. Oh well...

It would seem buying from another owner that has purchased the extended warranty is a better deal.
I purchased from an owner when the car had 18k miles. The extended warranty is good to 100k miles or 4 years. It adds to the end of the original warranty.

Is extended warranty coverage different from the CPO 4 year/50K bumper to bumper limited warranty? I have read that repairs performed under the extended warranty still carry a deductible where the CPO warranty does not, so the amount you're saving would diminish if repairs were calculated in. The best deal you can find IMO, is a private party that's selling a CPO car after a short time of ownership, as the CPO warranty is transferable.

Is extended warranty coverage different from the CPO 4 year/50K bumper to bumper limited warranty? I have read that repairs performed under the extended warranty still carry a deductible where the CPO warranty does not, so the amount you're saving would diminish if repairs were calculated in. The best deal you can find IMO, is a private party that's selling a CPO car after a short time of ownership, as the CPO warranty is transferable.

The extended warranty has $200 deductibles for repairs and REQUIRES you hit every maintenance within 1000 miles or 30 days. So it is actually quite a bit more expensive than the CPO warranty once you add in the maintenance costs.

• Informative
Reactions: Randaddy
I just checked and KBB has the CPO I am in the process of buying at $77576 at Fair Purchase Price and Retail Price is $79k, I paid $72,500 for my CPO , so I really feel like I got a good deal. This one stuck out at me and luckily I grabbed it when another buyer fell through (I had the link bookmarked and on a whim decided to check it on New Years Day).

2015 85D Midnight Silver Mettalic
10,500 miles
Tech Package
Pano Roof
AP 1.0
19" wheels
Subzero Package
Black Nappa Leather Seats
Obeche Matte Wood Trim
Textile Headliner