TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CPO Prices

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hpartsch, Aug 31, 2016.

1. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Does anyone feel like the CPO prices are a bit too high?

A new base S60 costs 57.5k (after tax credit and referral credit).

The lowest priced model S60 is 47k and 4 years old. Some of the ones in the 47-49k range don't even have many or any upgrades.

For a used car, with a lessor build quality, and less features/improvements -- it seems to me the pricing is a bit high for these 60's. Yes I am aware I'd get the 4 year warranty -- but still.

I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on one around 40 or less. But for the prices they are at currently, I couldn't justify buying used. Nor could I justify (for me personally) buying new at current price.

Obviously supply and demand will determine the prices -- I'm mostly just ranting and want a Tesla haha.

2. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

If you can, I would wait one or two quarters. The first cars bought with Resale Value Guarantee are coming up to their buy-back terms. I suppose some of those owners will take advantage to upgrade to a new vehicle with autopilot etc. That would bring a large selection of CPOs to the market.

3. Rahul

Rahul Member

Yes. If you're not set on getting a P85/+ and can live with the range of a S60 it makes no sense to get a CPO. Adding pano, leather, premium, and AP you're at $68.7K after the tax credit/referral and doc fee. For that ~$20K you're getting 0 miles, 0 battery degradation, no risk of a bad CPO, AP, NextGen seats, 75kWh battery, and all the build improvements that have been made in the past ~3 years.

4. henderrj

henderrj Member

Be aware that the best deals never get online. Get to know your local CPO sales rep.

• Like x 1
  5. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

The best CPO deal we've seen is at the end of Dec 2015.

• Like x 1
  6. Mike K

Mike K Member

Not to mention more range. Since you can fully charge the new 60s they are close in range to the 85's at an 80% daily charge.

• Like x 1
  7. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner

Has this been confirmed by Tesla though? I've heard conflicting reports about charging to the max with the software limited 60s.

8. Mike K

Mike K Member

I believe anecdotally it has been proven. For it not to be able to be "fully" charged all the time Tesla would need to be disabling cells which they wouldn't do because that would effectively ruin them. So if they're just charging them to a lower state then there's no harm, at least none that I can see. And I think pretty much anyone with a basic understanding of how the system works believes that.

If that's not the case I'd be really interested in hearing why.

9. CapeOne

CapeOne Member

Some deals are better than others including, as has been mentioned, ones that aren't posted online. However, while you can get a new MS 60 for around $58.7K after federal tax credit and referral cash that three or so year old $47K MS 60 you referenced as equipped would price out to around $68.5K new with credit and referral. In the end, it all depends on what you want/need. Are certain options more important, the newness of the car, or is it somewhere in between?

10. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I crunched the #'s and CPO just made more sense by $20-25k (38-47% increase in price). Sure I'd love a new car with the new features but the finance/accountant in me just doesn't justify it.

My CPO S85 has the following and cost me around $49k including shipping + sales tax ($53k OTD)
    • Pano
    • Tan Leather
    • Air Suspension
    • Tech Package (Includes Power Liftgate, LED Fog Lights, Lighted Door handels, Ambient lighting)
    • Obeche Gloss Trim
    • ~260 mile range at 100% and 234 at 90%
    A new 60 that I'd order would be $80,200 (factoring referral savings) and $72,700 after tax credit + Sales tax ($78k OTD). Sure I can skip some options like the paint color, subzero, next gen seats and get it down to $75,700 (69,200 after tax credit or $73k OTD).
    • Pano - must have for me though would I need a new whispbar for the newer pano setup?
    • 218 mile range at 100% and no real need to charge to 90 which is sufficient for my use and history of trips I'd be OK with it
    What I'd skip:
    • Air Suspension (love it but wouldn't pay $2,500 for it)
    • Upgraded Trim - Dark Ash seems fine
    • Premium upgrade - will lose out on stuff I have now but can't justify $3k
    What I'd add because I couldn't get the new car without these options ($12.5k)
    • Dual Motor ($5k)
    • Autopilot ($3k)
    • Next Gen Seats ($2,500)
    • Subzero ($1k)
    • Blue Paint ($1k)
    I'd also get:
    • Parking sensors - have had them on loaners and I find them useless and annoying.
    • Auto folding mirrors - do like this would enjoy having it
    • Slipstream wheels - i do like them
    • TPMS visible readings at the wheels - nice to have

• Like x 1
  11. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

CPO prices are really high at the moment it seems

12. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

#12 hpartsch, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Even more so now considering the discounts on the new S75 inventory. I wonder if they are maintaining them high (as many have been increased - though now some are showing gradual decreases) to encourage new buys and if we will have a nice decrease after the Q3 sales push. Any thoughts?

13. No2DinosaurFuel

I am 100% sure the high CPO prices are to push people to buy new. No doubts about that. They want to look good for the next rounds of funding.

• Like x 1
  14. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Any thoughts as to when the biggest hit would be to CPO prices, post Q3 or December 2016/January 2017?

15. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Just noticed this post. Will be an interesting new few weeks/months as I bet they get a lot of trade in also from the flash sales of S75s.

16. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

Checking TeslaInventory.com - great site, by the way - there are currently 393 CPO and 559 Inventory cars. That's a lot - I don't recall seeing that many cars before, CPO or otherwise.

17. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Which if true, IMO, is a pretty big negative for the showroom model. Not enough to offset the benefits, I don't think, but you wouldn't be able to coordinate a wholesale propping up of used CPO prices like this across all dealerships for other auto manufacturers. And if you tried to, there'd probably be price-fixing liabilities.

If that is what's happening I get why they're doing it, but I don't think it's right.

18. No2DinosaurFuel

It is hard to say. If anything I say it will be AFTER their rounds of fund raising via additional stock offerings. This might be after Q3 or maybe after Q4 who knows.

Keep in mind the inventory S60s right now though.

They have 210 miles range and can charge 100% all the time. There is some discount right now and maybe you can snag one for pretty cheap. Sure they are barebone but keep in mind what you are getting:

1) new car
    2) better build quality
    3) driver assist or autopilot if they have them
    4) new stuff like center console and parcel shelf and what not.
    5) faster supercharging and what not because almost no tapering at the supercharging stations.

And some can be found at relatively low price if you factor in the tax credit.

One example is $69K for the S60. Factor in $1000 referral credit:
    http://ts.la/minh1163

Then ask to waive the doc fee.

Then factor in the $7500 federal tax credit

And if you live in some states that give EV purchase rebate, then you can get more off.
    In CA you get $2500. In Colorado you get $6000.

69k - 1k - 1.2k - 7.5k - 2.5k = 56.8K
    If you are in CA.

Or
    69k -1k - 1.2k - 7.5K - 6K = 53.3K
    If you are in CO.

This is very comparable or lower than a CPO car.

Also I started at 69K but I know people have contacted their Owner Advisors or contacts at the tesla galleries and have found slightly cheaper cars. So it might be a bit less.

Point is the CPO prices are not really anything to look at right now.

• Like x 2
  19. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

I was looking at a Kia Optima, 2016 CPO with 10k miles. Unfortunately, the dealership was doing the same thing -- essentially saying they were getting new one's for cheaper then they could sell the used. Wouldn't even give me a better quote on the CPO vehicle I came to see/drive.... I think this happens pretty often nationwide, it's just not as easily noticed due to shady dealership practices. Needless to say, this was frustrating for me then and also now with Tesla (although not quite as much for some reason, probably because I realize the product is way better and worth waiting a bit for a drop if needed).

20. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Good info, that is exactly my thinking. Only negative for me is I live in WA state, no state incentive and the tax on a new vehicle essentially wipes out the federal tax credit :(.