Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Pricing variances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So,

I am hopefully just a few hours away from putting a deposit on a CPO car. Just waiting for final proposal from the leasing company...
I have been pouring over the nice consolidated CPO spreadsheet for 4 days and know just which car I want...
However, I can't help but notice that cars with identical specs, mileage and options seem to vary in price by a wide amount....even within the same model year?

What gives?

In my analysis based on data from I think late last week, I saw something like a standard deviation of $6000 for S85 and P85... I have two hypotheses:
1. Testing: Tesla is testing the correct pricing... for example, the cheaper cars, like mid to upper 60's P85s were all sold within like 0-3 days of being on the site. Generally a dealership can accept used car sitting for 30 days or so, so the huge variation now is really them trying to find the optimal pricing for <30 day move while making the most amt of money. If this is true, then the people who bought the lower end pricing cars are lucky.
2. Condition differences: only Tesla knows who crazily someone drove the car, the battery's condition, etc; and also seats may be dirty, there may be more chips or dings on one vs the other. In that case, the cheapest cars are in the poorest condition.