Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO purchase from out of state California tax liability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have put down a deposit on on a certified pre-owned vehicle that is located in California. I live in Orlando Florida and I will be trading in my car at 2015 model S at the local service center here in Orlando. When I got the preliminary purchase agreement, it indicates a tax rate equivalent to my county in Florida. I have purchased other vehicles from out of state from dealers. I usually arrange payment for the vehicle and have the vehicle shipped to me where I will register title and pay taxes in my county here in Florida.
When I spoke to my sales advisor he indicated that I would be paying a $500 fee to handle the title registration for the vehicle I'm purchasing that is located in California and I would also be paying California sales tax?
He does not seem to be very knowledgeable about the transaction process and has forwarded me on to somebody in Tesla finance.
My question is when buying a vehicle from out of state isn't it normal to do the registration title and sales tax in the in City County and state which you live?
I have not bought a vehicle that was located in California but in other states dealers did not charge registration fees or taxes for the state in which the vehicle is located in?
Finally why charge $500 for registration title fee when I will ultimately have to do that here in this state?
Thank you
Sam

California is messed up. They will tax you at the point of sale at 9+% depending on location of pickup.

You will be taxed again when you go to register in FL. You *may* be able to roll over a portion of what you paid to FL but you will not receive any sort of refund of the tax rate is lower.

TL:DR is don’t take delivery of a Tesla in CA if you don’t live there.

So you pay taxes on the vehicle in California even if the vehicle is purchased through the local Tesla center (Orlando,FL) shipped registered and licensed in Florida?
I would most likely just fly out to pick up the vehicle and road trip home.

Thanks
Sam

would most likely just fly out to pick up the vehicle and road trip hom

No that is what u don’t want to do ..that is delivery in CA ...if your car is shipped to FL you are taking delivery there and not paying CA taxes ...unless Tesla changed something and u take delivery before they ship ?

No that is what u don’t want to do ..that is delivery in CA ...if your car is shipped to FL you are taking delivery there and not paying CA taxes ...unless Tesla changed something and u take delivery before they ship ?

Tesla has specified even if you have the vehicle shipped you have to have someone local pick up the vehicle and then the vehicle is transferred to the shipper. They will not release the vehicle to the shipper directly. Is this intended for purposes of paying taxes in California?

Thanks
Sam

Tesla has specified even if you have the vehicle shipped you have to have someone local pick up the vehicle and then the vehicle is transferred to the shipper. They will not release the vehicle to the shipper directly. Is this intended for purposes of paying taxes in California?

Thanks
Sam

Ahhh they changed policy than..,ie ur screwed only way is pay the CA taxes ;)

My understanding of how sales tax is calculated in California is its based on your home address. If indeed you do get charged sales tax in California, how do they calculate that if you have no address in the state?

I looked up the policy in Florida: "If the vehicle is acquired from out of state, 6% Sales Tax is due on the purchase price of the vehicle. If the vehicle was titled in the applicant's name less than 6 months prior to being titled in the state of Florida proof of the purchase price and the amount of sales tax that was paid must be submitted. If the amount paid was less than 6% Florida will collect the difference."

I am waiting for an answer from Tesla financial. I just dont want to get stuck with double taxes. The tax liability is about $400 more if I have to pay tax in California.

and the trade is not counted, I

I didn’t even realize other states did this on trade in lol ...the transaction price to CA is used car sales price ...also ur tax would be calculated on jurisdiction vehicle is picked up ..I guess Tesla changed this before u could ship a car across country and reject at delivery point and just lose the ship fee ..now they want you to take delivery before ships ..sux if vehicle is in CA

In my case. The deal looked dead about 3 times. Finally the experienced Tesla pre-owned sales associate handed me over to another sales person because of personal issues he had to attend to. I finally then got a green light to trade my car here pay the difference and fly out to pick up the car however on the day prior to departure my sales person told me had managed to get tesla to agree to ship the car to me where I would do the deal in Orlando.
The car arrived last week and I inspected and traded my P90D for the P100D. The only way you can make the deal is if Tesla or the person at Tesla decides they want to ship the car to you. That is how my issue was resolved and it almost didnt happen. I'm happy in the end paying my local sales tax and saved tens of thousands over new.

Give me a break. These guys are so bad at the used car business. I don't know how they are going to make it. I just retired from 32 years in the business. The last 10 as a used car dealer. I want to trade in my 2013 P85+. I go into the Tesla store and they take pictures of my car on Sept. 15 They don't give me a value. This value comes from headquarters or the moon. I don't know . I'm primarily interested in a used one but since there was an end of the quarter push I also expressed interest in a new one. There were two reasons for my interest. They were discounting models in stock, according to the websites, and the free supercharging had been extended. My rep at Tesla was oblivious about any discounting.
Three weeks later I get an email informing me that the used car I was interested in was sold. Still no trade in value. Note that in spite of their need to show a profit in the 3rd quarter no one attempted to contact me for 3 weeks. And then it was only an email telling me the car had sold and outlining their new policies regarding CPO purchases. These new policies include a nonrefundable $2500.00 deposit and it also states that they will not ship the vehicle to you. Are they trying to discourage buyers?
Now I'm learning that they don't even know how to apply the sales tax rules if you buy in different state. My goodness these guys are lame. Now they have over 600 CPO's plus several hundred new listed for sale. The number is growing daily. What are they going to do? Start a Tesla museum?
In this business you can only go so far if you don't try to help someone make a buying decision. And I know they'll fight this to the end but they need professional retail car people. I have been in several times and I can tell you from experience that they are clueless. I'm still in the market for a used 2016.

Give me a break. These guys are so bad at the used car business. I don't know how they are going to make it. I just retired from 32 years in the business. The last 10 as a used car dealer. I want to trade in my 2013 P85+. I go into the Tesla store and they take pictures of my car on Sept. 15 They don't give me a value. This value comes from headquarters or the moon. I don't know . I'm primarily interested in a used one but since there was an end of the quarter push I also expressed interest in a new one. There were two reasons for my interest. They were discounting models in stock, according to the websites, and the free supercharging had been extended. My rep at Tesla was oblivious about any discounting.
Three weeks later I get an email informing me that the used car I was interested in was sold. Still no trade in value. Note that in spite of their need to show a profit in the 3rd quarter no one attempted to contact me for 3 weeks. And then it was only an email telling me the car had sold and outlining their new policies regarding CPO purchases. These new policies include a nonrefundable $2500.00 deposit and it also states that they will not ship the vehicle to you. Are they trying to discourage buyers?
Now I'm learning that they don't even know how to apply the sales tax rules if you buy in different state. My goodness these guys are lame. Now they have over 600 CPO's plus several hundred new listed for sale. The number is growing daily. What are they going to do? Start a Tesla museum?
In this business you can only go so far if you don't try to help someone make a buying decision. And I know they'll fight this to the end but they need professional retail car people. I have been in several times and I can tell you from experience that they are clueless. I'm still in the market for a used 2016.

You are absolutely right. They could not treat customers who buy CPO cars any worse but then again they seem to keep coming up with ways to treat their customers even worse than they already do.

The whole sales tax mess and not transporting cars so you can take delivery in the state you live in is their latest attempt to mistreat CPO customers and make an awful purchase experience ever worse.

I love Tesla but this is a company that desperately needs some competition so they can learn to treat their customers fairly. They would not be engaging in this horrible treatment of CPO customers if Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes also sold used EVs. The good news is that in a few years they will have to compete with other premium car dealers selling CPO cars but that is no consolation to anyone looking to buy a car now.

Funny how we need to wait until car dealers start selling CPO EVs for Tesla to treat their customers in a reasonable way. I thought car dealers are supposed to be bad and Tesla with their direct sales approach is supposed to treat customers more fairly than a car dealer. :confused:

After my experience I sat down and took a long look about how I felt and why I felt that way. Yes I was angry the way they handled my initial inquiry and trade valuation. The valuation of my 2015 P90D came in low but fairly quickly through my local Tesla center. They showed me a dual motor performance model 3 but I didnt feel it had seat of the pants low end torque that my P90D had even though acceleration times are similar. More importantly the model 3 is a major step down in interior luxury by my perception. The steering wheel is skinny and generic compared to the feeling on the model S. The central screen I just couldn't warm to. I still had my mind on a P100D but didnt want to spend big $$ on a new one. I also didnt want to work out the bugs on a new model 3. I have seen the improvements between my P90D and P100D with about 60,000 difference in serial number. I think that was a prudent call on my part.
While I paused in this paralysis by analysis. The tesla sales guy sent me an updated valuation of my trade up to 63,000 for a 2015 P90D with 40,000 miles on it. I started looking at the tax savings utilizing the trade and my trade was valued with tax savings almost 67,000. At the same time I put my vehicle online cars.com and through the forums. I could hardly even get a nibble at 67-68K. So at the time the trade was the best I could manage. I was watching the psychology of p100D owners wanting to move to the dual motor performance Model 3. I dont track my car and value brutal accleration crushing low consciousness savage Orlando drivers every day over a lighter, potentially better handling car. I can floor it all the time but where to push it in corners where I live? I observed the same experience with my GTR. I've never taken any of my performance vehicles to a track so supply in demand was in my favor.
I started looking at third party P100Ds from dealerships and individuals. None could offer the warranty and seamless trade process Tesla could. My first pre-owned sales associate was apparently very experienced vetted by the second sales associate I worked with. The first guy killed the deal a couple of times over issues that I sorted out myself. I patiently explained I was not buying the vehicle in california only picking it up there. I eventually got the answer that sales tax and my trade would be processed in Orlando, FL and Tesla would not ship the vehicle so I would have to make arrangements to pick it up. I had three days in my schedule and I used frequent flyer miles to buy a one way ticket. The day before I was scheduled to travel, my pre owned Tesla sales person told me good news and bad news. Bad news dont fly to California. Good news Tesla would ship the vehicle to Orlando and I could hold on to my P90D till it had arrived. I had not asked, demanded for Tesla to do this; Tesla resolved this on their own. Furthermore, I could look at the vehicle and decide before any transaction took place. I think that back and forth of no deal, deal, no deal, and finally deal was irritating BUT I decided to take my ego out of the equation. Yes I thought these guys are clueless and they simply do not know the car business. However I still had a nice car in my hand with no loss if they deal didn't happen. I realized that the majority of people working at Tesla are VERY young and they are working hard increasing sales and volume. Try to get a nice high end level of service at a local dealership on a busy saturday and multiply by inexperience and young sales people and that's the overall big picture. I imagined being patient with them since they were really just "kids" Dont forget historically Honda had geisha's working on the assembly line to help build their cars in the beginning. Why kick a company that is giving me something so fantastic so quickly?
When the car finally came, they still got some of the details incorrect but I made an appointment brought a standard check and looked at the car. I purchased, completed the paperwork and was out of there in under an hour.
Tesla was disorganized in the sales process but ULTIMATELY did make it happen. Tesla sold me a fairly nice low miles (15,000) P100D with a full 4 yr/50 k warranty and did give me a fair price on my trade. No one was even interested in my car on this forum or via online listing. Tesla shipped the car to me and didn't charge me a penny to ship it despite the rules; that's at least 1000$ savings. The preowned warranty +$4000. The cars options including FSD greatly enhanced my decision. The car was nicely prepped on delivery. The price was fantastic $90,900 for a car that was 2 years old versus 1250-160 K?
I have bought many nice expensive high end cars as well as cheap cars. Sometimes things went perfect and they handled me white glove conceirge and sometimes they treated me like *sugar* and ****ed up the deal. All I can say is I didn't blow up and took a lets see what will happend approach and they ultimately did me right in the end with some patience and lowering of my expectations.
You should read a little history on how Ferrari used to treat their wealthy, high end, even royalty customers. I'm not suggesting this is justified but with a new model and paradigm there will be mistakes and successes. While Tesla could take some lessons from established sales teams at Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc, I have been bounced around sometimes at those mainstream dealerships. Furthermore what the **** is wrong with those high end brands not offering equally competitive products. I emailed Porsche on the mission E to see when I could get my hands on one and heard nothing. Maybe their reply was lost in span. In the mean time I am enjoying crushing the competition and the people who read all the car magazines and know everything except what is the best $$ investment for the best car. Maybe that's my ego talking.