Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Question - Should I be Happy or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I feel slighted by Tesla that perhaps this vehicle was misrepresented?
Should I demand this so called CPO process the vehicle went thru when purchased?
Should I demand a new car?

1) yes but unfortunately nothing you can do, if you want a car as unique as a Tesla you just have to suck it up and accept it. CPO is a gamble, you may get one that was already in very good condition with nothing wrong, or you might get one that was problematic to start with
2) their so-called CPO process is in my opinion a complete joke, they only fix the visually obvious things that are wrong, they do nothing to fix internal issues until/unless you complain about them. I was able to obtain my CPO checklist and supposedly everything was checked off, but it was obviously rubber-stamped because within hours of driving off the lot I found 5-6 things that didn't work that the checklist supposedly had passed.
3) no, I know it's annoying but certainly not to this degree

I think purchasing a Tesla CPO is still buying a used car. Lots of issues on the forum, but my two year old CPO has only been at the service center twice. The past fifteen months only put in electricity, washer fluid and two new tires. Least maintenance (and most fun) car I have ever owned. By a huge measure!

From my understanding, almost every preowned Model S that Tesla sell is a CPO. That basically means Tesla "certified" is pretty much meaningless since every preowned car is certified... The major benefit you get of course is the extra warranty so you can fix problems.

I assume Tesla does this so it can sell all the cars at CPO prices instead of having non-CPO cars for thousands cheaper. Look at a major BMW or MB dealer site, and see that they have both CPO and non-CPO cars. CPO is supposed to be meaningful so that you can reasonable trust that a CPO car is in at least above average condition and doesn't have any obvious mechanical/electrical problems that ll require major fixes in the near future. A car that hasn't had annual services done and/or has had lots of repairs due to either build quality or aggressive use, etc. shouldn't be CPO.

I have called BMW dealers before asking why certain car wasn't certified and they said that they only certify cars in great condition. Or they say up front either the car is still really new and certification just adds too much cost/price or that it's just not worth certifying the car given the added cost/price. Therefore, they are clear why that car is several thousand dollars cheaper than an equiv certified car.

A CPO Tesla should be in great condition. Otherwise the car should be sold as a non-CPO for thousands cheaper.

Tesla takes in a lot of trades that do not end up being sold as CPOs. They just wholesale those out, and that is where the private dealers get most of their stock. Too much mileage, lack of commonly desired options, etc. will often keep a car from being sold as CPO. You just don't see those because Tesla gets rid of them.

The last CPO we bought had a large list of repairs (and upgrades, since it was an early VIN) before we took delivery. Still, there are five minor issues waiting to be addressed. As other posters have said, what you mostly get is the warranty -- assurance that problems will be fixed at no cost to you.

Reactions: xanatos
So the saga continues.......so amazing enough, the original CPO paperwork can’t be found. In my opinion it never happen.

Tesla after some beaten from yours truly, is now performing a CPO process. I purchased a car under the assumption CPO happen. Was this car misrepresented? And if so, should I ask Tesla for a partial r find for my time? Car has been in the shop a great deal during the short time I have owned it.

THoughts.....

Reactions: xanatos
I purchased a CPO p85 from Tesla in October of 2017. As this car was over $100,000 when it was new, I expected it to be fairly problem free. In the 3 1/2 months I have driven this car, I have had 2 issues solved by rangers at my work, and two issues that needed to be addressed at the service center. While these problems have been somewhat annoying, they have been handled quickly and courteously. AND, at no cost:) I am very happy with my CPO purchase.