Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Roadster process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am waiting for Roadster #115 to be delivered. I have found out the destination charge is not being waived even if you pick the car up and do not have it shipped. Also there appears to be an issue with warranty info being transcribed into purchase paperwork. Has anyone here been able to negotiate for a hard top or did your Roadster just happen to have one already? curious about any other issue or problems anyone currently buying CPO has come across? thank you

No doubt, the CPO process isn't as smooth as it should be. Tesla are focussed on sales of new Model S, so the CPO Roadster program does not get much attention. While every single employee I dealt with was very good and willing to help, the lack of communications makes the whole delivery process take MUCH longer than it should.

That said, I am still glad I bought a CPO Roadster, and I feel it's the best deal you can get anywhere.

My Roadster had a Hard Top with it, so it was just a part of the purchase.

If you care to read my blog post about the CPO experience, you can find it here: http://www.uswet.com/blog/2013/06/22/is-it-time-for-my-mid-life-crisis-already/

Last edited:
I had to do some negotiating for my CPO Roadster; persistence and also some insistence was needed, but I got the hardtop installed on my Roadster, and they put that, and all the PEM and front fan upgrades, the warranty, and even what UMC adapter I wanted (6-50 in my case), under "outstanding work to be completed" in the contract. I did not pay a delivery fee, and my Roadster travelled from California to Virginia. Though it took some time, I got everything I asked for. Do be sure you inspect everything carefully on delivery before you sign; I got sent the wrong plug adapter and simply put the problem on the delivery receipt. I too, am now very happy I got my Roadster. Best of luck to you!

We're also working our way slowly through the CPO process for #889. I have found that sending SMS to Dan and Ryan gets a much quicker response than emailing them... I don't think we will run into all the shipping problems that Curt did, since everything is in California, including us. We didn't have the warranty info on the first try at paperwork, but the latest version (today) does have it. We're waiting for the service to be completed, but it is in process as they found a few things like the iPod connector wasn't working.

Congrats everybody in this thread on the new/used Roadster! I'm in the middle of buying Roadster #501. This process is indeed quite slow and confusing, but the fact that it's certified pre-owned, with a warranty, and reconditioned by Tesla makes it worth it. What other used car has that kind of backing?

Curt, I found your blog very helpful. Thanks for posting that and your replies in the other thread.

Adrian, it's good to know the warranty info is in the latest paperwork. I'm waiting on that language myself.

NapaValleyMike, in my initial inquiry I was told the destination and doc fees are non-negotiable, but I've also never heard of destination fees on used car. I am happy to see others, including out of state buyers, do not seem to have been charged the destination fee and the destination fee was not present in my purchase paperwork. I also highly doubt the hardtop is included with all CPO's. I think it's car specific and depending on what was traded in and if the previous owner had one.

I do have a few other questions for other CPO buyers:

1. My original purchase paperwork included a Delivery Declaration form. I told them I didn't want to sign it yet because I obviously had not received the car yet. You signed this after delivery, right, and not before?

2. The also send me an application for California Clean Air Vehicle Decals. Since I'm in Arizona, I asked if I had to fill that out, but still haven't heard a response yet. Did any other out of state buyers have to fill out that form?

I put my deposit down on 6/28/2013 and told them I'd definitely buy the car on 7/6/2013. The said they put my car on a truck to Phoenix, AZ on Monday, 7/8/2013 for reconditioning at the local service center here. I'm not sure how long that will take, but was originally told the car would be ready for final delivery the 2nd or 3rd week of July. I found it curious they shipped the car before finalizing my paperwork - and before I sent them full payment for the car. Regardless, I'm not backing out at this point and I'm just waiting for them to put the CPO warranty and hardtop in writing before I sign and send them the money.

Good luck and congrats to everyone else. I know I'm very excited. I have a Volt and LEAF already, but I'm looking forward to adding the best of 'em all.

A few answers and info on my experience...

- Ryan was recently out of town. I suggest sending emails to [email protected] and if you aren't getting prompt replies, say so. They will reply. They're very busy with all the sales to process, but I found it was WELL worth it to work with them.

- I didn't want the hard top since I have the glass top for my other Roadster so I dunno about negotiating for one. But generally I found that they weren't negotiating much. Just pricing well. But as some cars don't move, I suppose anything is possible.

- my (wife's) CPO is having stereo issues and the guys are exhibiting great responsiveness. Superb.

- people outside Calif don't need to get the Calif HOV stickers. Ignore the form.

- my delivery guy was very flaky, but that's the world of shippers. I felt like I was on an episode of Shipping Wars. But the CPO guys were doing everything they could to get the car delivered.

- the car is in excellent condition. 5,000 miles and just got 186 ideal miles on a 220 charge. Tires have lots of tread. Happy they were AD07s, even with a Sport.

If anyone has a question, PM me. From deposit to delivery was 13 days, even with 2 extra days because they had been asked to rush a car so I agreed to have the other car get serviced before mine. I think maybe I went faster bc my car was already in Menlo Park.

My wife now also understands what Tesla time is and people are constantly giving her nods and thumbs up - way more than when she drove that boring 911!

I am picking up CPO roadster #532 this Sunday, just one day ahead of schedule.

My purchase process has taken about a month, but I am glad that it is over. I did NOT get charged for delivery, its not even a line item on the paperwork I have. I was able to negotiate for a free J1772 adapter, which was important to me, because my company has free chargers in the garage, and I would not be able to use them without this adapter. I was unlucky with negotiating for a free hardtop, so kudos to SETHR on that one.

Now I have to find out about the PEM and front fan upgrades.

I didn't sign the delivery declaration form, will only do that once I pick it up. I am glad that they took care of the California Clean Air Sticker for me.

Shrink,

You are correct - not all CPO Roadsters include a Hard Top. Each Roadster on the CPO page lists what is included. For instance, #281 (Racing Green) does have a Hard Top. It all depends on what the previous owner had.

I had no Destination Fee in my purchase. Wasn't ever mentioned, and wasn't in any of the paperwork.

1. I didn't see the Delivery Declaration form until delivery, then it was the first thing I was handed to sign. I refused to sign, listing several things, (Hard Top, Tags/Title/Registration, Front License Plate hardware) that were required. That's when my delivery guy produced the "Outstanding Work to be Completed" form. We filled that out, then I signed the Delivery Declaration.

2. As has already been stated, there is no need to fill out the California Clean Air forms if you're not driving in California. My Roadster already had them from the first owner, and I haven't yet removed them. Who knows? Maybe I'll do a cross-country drive just to get some use out of them!

One more thing that could be useful for Non-Californians - ask your Delivery guy for a copy of the "To State Law Enforcement" letter they include with the Model S. I got it in pdf form, so I did a quick edit (in PDFPen) to change "Model S" to "Roadster". I have been stopped several times by Police in Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware because I don't have either a permanent or temporary tag displayed (Califonia doesn't issue temp tags, just a slip of paper taped to your back window). The letter has helped in these cases.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any other info from me.

One more thing that could be useful for Non-Californians - ask your Delivery guy for a copy of the "To State Law Enforcement" letter they include with the Model S.

That's a great suggestion. Thanks. I'm going to request that as well.

I guess I'm lucky. My CPO is coming with with the matching color hardtop. The hardtop is very helpful during the desert summer in Phoenix. It's too hot to take the top off until October.

One more thing I wanted to add - as the other original owners with much more experience and knowledge about the car have already suggested in other threads, get the CAC value from Tesla to get a sense of the battery health/remaining capacity.

Two more things about a CPO Roadster and I'm sure this will vary by car.

I asked about remaining tire tread and was told:

"There will be at least 60% tread remaining on the tires for CPO spec."

I had also asked about a J1772 adapter because I already have two Blink EVSE's in my garage. They said they would throw one in for free instead of the UMC, but since the UMC is $1500 and the J1772 adapter is $750, I kept the UMC and bought a used J1772 adapter from another owner on these boards.

I was told by Kevin that my battery would be reconditioned to 220mi (i understand that's not real miles). I am not getting a hard top with my car but Ryan threw in a J1772 charger for free (although they are out of them and he has had to request more so I may get this later). I was told the same thing about the tires. Was also told that the reconditioning would happen at the Dublin, OH service center because CA is a little backed up right now.

Unfortunately I have not heard from the CPO team since Monday and Ryan's VM is full when you call it. No response to texts or email either. Frustrating......:cursing:

Same story on my end, but I'm trying to be patient. Maybe they're busy at TESLIVE?

Have you seen the CPO website? They had 8 listings about 10 days ago, 5 over the weekend, and only 3 now. That 2.5 Very Orange Sport with CF and black forged wheels looks amazing. I imagine they have even more trade ins to list in the coming weeks. I'm still kind of surprised used cars at this price point seem to be moving so well. However, we are all here for a reason, huh?

Good luck, everybody, and thanks for sharing your experiences. It's been very helpful. This slow and sometimes frustrating process will hopefully end sooner than later with us all enjoying our Roadsters!

Last edited:
I think they're moving through them pretty quickly, mine never even made it to the web or ebay! Word is spreading about the warranty I imagine, such a huge value vs. other pre-owned. I wouldn't be surprised for private parties to have to dip below $50k to move their 1.5s, a little higher for others.

I finally heard from Ryan tonight in the early evening. The word is my car is next in line for reconditioning and should be delivered next weekend. I put my deposit down on 6/12/13. I agree worth the wait especially with the warranty and reconditioning. My garage space is ready and waiting!

I am happy to report that I picked up CPO Roadster #532 over the weekend. I have been using it as my daily commuter for just 2 days, and love it. The car was immaculate when I picked it up, hard to tell that it was 3 years old. Very happy to be joining the Tesla family. Ryan was my point person for the pick up at Menlo Park and he did a thorough walkthrough.

NapaValleyMike, make sure you ask for whatever you can before you sign the delivery acceptance. We were able to get some small things like the Tesla license plate covers, a bunch of Tesla keychains, and a promise to fix the front bottom piece, had some minor chips and scratches. I do cringe whenever I pull in and out of my driveway, since the car definitely touches pavement and makes a scratching sound. This car really sits low. I have to drive diagonally over all speed bumps. Your car is sitting in the Menlo Park showroom, looking very nice!!

Now I will start saving up for a Model X, which will take me 5-7 years.

tesla 532.JPG