TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CPO Roadsters on teslamotors.com

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by djp, Mar 13, 2013.

1. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

2. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Is there some sort of CPO warranty on these bad boys?

3. hvb

hvb Member

Is it me or are those prices incredibly high for a used vehicle?

4. bart513

bart513 Member

I would say ridiculously high priced!

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Yikes! Lots of these cars have less than like 1-3k miles. These cars are basically BRAND NEW. Do you people actually DRIVE cars after you buy them? LOL I put more miles than that on my cars PER MONTH. I've only had mine for 7 days now and I already have about 650 miles on it. Any car that has less than 15k is brand new to me IMO. I can't fathom spending $100k for an object that just sits in a garage and is never used.

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Yes, the CPO Roadsters will have a CPO warranty. I've talked with them previously and that's part of them being in the program - they do some repair work and cosmetic work on the cars to bring them back up to a high standard (surely there's a link somewhere about what they do).

And as 'bart points out above, they're more expensive than the private market.

That Orange is awfully purty. I figure it would go especially well in the Pacific Northwest, or any other clime that sees a high percentage of gray / cloudy days. A color that will stand out, even when the lighting isn't perfect.

7. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

I like Lightning Green VIN1031, the carbon fiber accents against the green body look very sharp. I'm surprised it's priced lower than Thunder Grey VIN994 which is a similar model but has more miles.

8. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

I did some poking around the website and I have not found anything out on the warranty. If anyone has info please let us all know.

9. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The only reference I could find was this Wired article:

A Used Tesla Roadster Isnd Think | Autopia | Wired.com

10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I received this from someone at Tesla when I asked about CPO warranties. They still have not decided on an extended warranty for existing Roadster owners.

$3,000 – 1 year/12,000 miles

$4,000 – 2 year/24,000 miles

$5,000 – 3 year/36,000 miles

11. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I don't find them so high. A quick look at those prices feels like they are 30% (or so) below the new price for each car. With only 1-3 years of age and so few miles, with the fact that they are CPO and Tesla will give you some sort of a warranty (probably a pretty good one), and especially with so few of those cars out in the world, I'm entirely unsurprised to see this pricing. This is not a Civic, folks... this is a collectible, or surely will be in a few years.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Seems weird.

Maybe the prices are based on what Tesla has into them.

13. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

14. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

15. MAPC

MAPC #158

Personally, I was shocked at how little Tesla offered me for my trade. Further, I was even MORE shocked when they told me (in the same written document) what they would sell it for. The number they said that they would sell it was less than I had seen any Roadster EVER sell for in a private party sale (which you would expect to be less than a Tesla CPO price).

I was able to sell (with multiple offers) for 15% more than they said they would sell it for and 35% more than they offered me.....and I did it all within a week.

16. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Especially since the Green has a bunch of interior CF that the Grey doesn't. The Green doesn't have the paint armour, but that's not a big deal with cars having these low miles.

Maybe Grey is a more popular color?

17. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I consigned my Roadster to an exotic car dealer who failed to sell it over the span of three months; an early offer failed to meet the reserve price and nothing else came close. So I ended up trading it in on my S and, except for the price Tesla gave me, found the experience quite painless. In the end, Tesla turned around and sold it to its new owner for a price that was well above anything I expected to get from a private sale.

So the moral of this story is, I guess, that used Roadsters represent a small, volatile market. And YMMV.

18. bart513

bart513 Member

I still think that the prices are high. Rodolfo, you may have a different perspective as one that just turned in a newer low mileage model.

19. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

The prices definitely are high compared to the private seller market without warranty and without Tesla putting on new tires and whatever else is needed to make the cars like new. But buying that from Tesla is very different from an out of warranty private seller transaction - at least in perception.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The CPO page has nothing about a warranty included. It's probably an extra up-charge.