Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO tires and wear question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are going all electric. My wife took my model 3 so I ordered a CPO Model X 75D. I am hoping to take delivery this week.

I had a question regarding tires. The car has 22in rims with 16K miles on her. Do you think Tesla will have replaced the tires before the car is delivered to me. You can bet I will be checking on that for sure. Any Model X owners here with the 22 inch wheels? What kind of tread wear do these have and what kind of mileage can I expect out of the tires. Thanks

Yes I have 22” wheels and love the look...

I have 20,000 miles on mine, however just this week I have noticed a shudder at high (+70 mph). For details see my post on ”acceleration shudder”. Page 22.

Anyway look at the inboard side of the tires, if the MX was set at “low” ride height then I would suspect the tires are worn out and should be replaced. I would think that Tesla would not sell a pre owned car without new tires. Almost all dealers sell used cars with new tires. Safety issue...

After you have had lots of fun showing your friends how quick the car is without shudder off the line the ride height will need to be set at “low”. When you are just driving around I would suggest setting the ride height to “standard”. The low ride height makes the tires wear on the inside very quickly. You may not think the tires are wearing because what you see looks great. However if you lay down on the ground and use a flashlight and look at the inside tread you will see a lot of wear. Anyway thats what i have on my MX 100d.

You will love the car. My wife also has the m3...
Tony

We are going all electric. My wife took my model 3 so I ordered a CPO Model X 75D. I am hoping to take delivery this week.

I had a question regarding tires. The car has 22in rims with 16K miles on her. Do you think Tesla will have replaced the tires before the car is delivered to me. You can bet I will be checking on that for sure. Any Model X owners here with the 22 inch wheels? What kind of tread wear do these have and what kind of mileage can I expect out of the tires. Thanks

My advice and 2 cents, check the tires and the car really well. I purchased a CPO X last year with 20” wheels and the tires were at 4/32nds at 20k mileage. I brought my measuring tool to delivery. I complained about purchasing a used vehicle that needed the tires replaced immediately and asked who inspected the vehicle. CPOs are a great deal but lots that the pics don’t show. Tesla was great and gave me new tires eventually and fixed all my issues. At the end of it all my wife and I were happy but it was frustrating getting there. Took over 3 months to resolve my issues. You really have to be on top of them if you want things fixed.

It depends on what kind of a used car the CPO is. If it was a personal trade-in, it could have worn tires. If it was a loaner or lease return, it’s likely the tires are fairly new as there are condition requirements for leases upon return.
Our used X was a lease return and my 22” tires were practically brand new; measured at just about 9/32”.

You can tell what kind of used car it is when you run Carfax on the VIN.