TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CPO/Used Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Model S' started by drummerboy7816, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Sfluegge

Sfluegge Member

I get it. Just sad. We all know how cars lose value the moment they leave the lot, but DAMN that is a lot of value lost...

2. drummerboy7816

True, that does seem a lot more than usual cars. Guess that’s the downside of Tesla being half a tech company and half a car company.. that tech part evolves fast...

• Like x 1
  3. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

Let's stop with the fanboyism.

There is no other retail space, online or in person, where anyone here would tolerate such a purchase policy. None. All of you would be all over your social media denouncing the company, its policy and advise everyone you know and those you don't know to stay away. Yelp would be flush with negative ratings. Tesla has not "lost its way." It is "The Way", and they know you, the Apple-trained enthusiasts, will put up with it because Elon, like Jobs before him, understands fanboyism. These poor policies and poor business models are fixed by taking your business elsewhere, not by taking it in the behind. Tesla cannot/will not survive as a car company treating high-paying customers like afterthoughts. Yes, I like my car, it rides great. But in the end, it is a car, not an artificial heart and you won't die without it. Will I ever put up with a such nonsense CPO purchase experience again? No. If you really want your stock value to rise, delay your gratification and wait it out. Come back when they value you as a customer, not a bank account.

4. drummerboy7816

#64 drummerboy7816, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Fair points, and that would be the just and righteous thing to do., but the problem for the average Tesla used consumer such as myself, is that we have limited funds and we want the best we can get for those dollars. I had to replace my old car, and there really is nothing else that comes remotely close to a MS85D for my criteria within a $45K budget (SUV-esque cargo space, exciting driving dynamics, excellent fuel efficiently/cost, lower cost of maintenance, sleek tasteful looks, and a certain level of class and elegance). There is no direct competition at this point for anyone that specific wants a MS, let alone at the price of a used MS. Now the Porsche Taycan may be able to fiercely compete, but too soon to tell how it actually will be, and there won’t be a decently priced used market for many years.

I didn’t get a Tesla to join the “fan base”. I didn’t know such a great active community even exists until my purchasing process, and none of my friends or family have Teslas. Simply put, I got it because it’s a sick ass car haha.

• Like x 3
  5. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

I hear ya. I'm not spendy and thought I'd get a better value going CPO. But I got that little voice in my head a few times asking "Is this really happening?" and all the flags went up. Yes, I like my car, though for a CPO it was hardly a "CPO". I mean, bubbles in the screen? Sunroof rattling because the weatherstrip fell off? Get someone on the phone? Then I tried to get a service appointment via the website and I'd need a day off from work 3 months from now to get the screen redone and all the other rattles addressed. My wife drives the MB and she is treated like a queen. That contrast is so severe that it puts Tesla, the car company, in peril. The (very helpful) fanbase, at this point, is limited to those willing to excuse Tesla for these glaring shortcomings. Once options become available, Musk will sell his albatross and concentrate on more profitable rockets, leaving many Tesla owners shocked that they were promised the moon. BTW, Tesla lost $700 million this quarter.

6. drummerboy7816

Yeah, as a Finance/Accounting professional, that $700M loss did make me worry a bit as to the future of the company.. It's an odd feeling that the future sustainability of my vehicle may hinge on start-up-esque ambitions (like robo-taxi fleet to generate revenue). That is the dice I'm rolling and I guess the slight fanboyism due to my belief in the Company.

As crappy as it is, I think it was right decision for Tesla to change their CPO program to simply "used". Tesla has too many strategic priorities and missions as a company. Focusing on a solid CPO program is definitely not high on that list. I think they need to be very transparent about what their "used program" is, which starts with 1) allowing customers to go see the sold-as-is car in person.. it is ridiculous to not allow that. It is zero cost to them and gives us the customers 100x confidence and the peace of mind before we actually put the "down payment", 2) for those that can't see the car in person, take 10x better quality pictures, and 3) the $2,500 "down payment" must be easily transferable to any other Tesla vehicle without question. It can be non-refundable, but can't be non-transferable with their current process of blind ordering..

As to the service shortfalls, I'm not sure where you live, but 3 month out appointment is pretty ridiculous indeed. For me, I live in Orange County and there were appointments I could make within a week or 2, depending on time of day. They also told me to just stop in for a quick inspection prior to my actual appointment so that they can make sure they have the necessary parts to fix it during the time of appointment, which is nice. I'm not sure how they handle emergency type situations where a car is inoperable , but hopefully they'll take it in right away and give a loaner?

Every successful company has their "edge" that attracts their base. Tesla will never be able to compete with MB's level of service or interior comforts, but MB and other traditional car manufacturers will also never come close to Tesla on the technology innovation front. They pour their money into different buckets to serve different wants and needs.

• Like x 1
  7. SouthBayShine

SouthBayShine Member

Thanks for sharing. If Tesla gave a damn about customer experience and did post sales surveys, I’d give that salesperson an F.

8. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Found this guy's CPO buying analysis interesting:

9. AlexP

AlexP Member

Not my experience at all buying used Teslas directly from Tesla. I bought a Model S in November 2018, no issues what so ever with the purchase or the deliver. I even so the video before I purchased my second, I was concerned. I bough a Model X at the beginning for April. I even had to travel from Miami to Orlando. No issues with the second purchase either.

Regards,
    Alex

10. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

That’s great to hear. Truly hope everyone gets that kind of customer service.

11. mjmiron

mjmiron Member

I sold my 2013 S 85 pp and put money down on CPO first part of May. Was told car was in Vegas and would be ready by 17th. Got text yesterday stating car ended up in NY and would be shipped to Mn at no cost to me and it would take 2-3 weeks potentially. The CPO or used process is horrible in regards to lack of responsiveness by sale staff. The main reason I bought from Tesla is for the warranty. My prior 2013 S had a lot of bugs to work out like
    Failed mirrors, worn out sun roof cables, fan went out, rusted rear hatch bolts. I also has water condensation on both tail lights, as well as a few front and lower control arms on drivers side. If I bought pp I know I would have sunk money into the car. Even if the buying experience is crappy on the front end you still most of the time get excellent service. I bought 2015 85D dark blue black interior and look forward to getting it some day. I am driving an ice and hating it till my S arrives.

12. kermit_xc

kermit_xc Member

how was sales tax handled in San Diego - and what did you have to do back home in Texas? I'm about to go pickup my MS85 in LA, I live in Austin, TX. My understanding is that I'm paying full CA sales tax on delivery and than Texas DMV doesn't charge me anything since CA is higher than TX

• Like x 1
  13. Brian V.

Brian V. New Member

14. kermit_xc

kermit_xc Member

Good talk !

15. Brian V.

Brian V. New Member

I got my 7/2016 Model S in April, flew from Michigan to pick it up at the Paramus SC. After having a few other cars get sold right after getting the pictures I saw this one that had the right colors and options for me and didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger and buy it. I arrived an hour and a half before my appointment and was helped right away. The car was in excellent shape and the people helping me were great. I decided to buy from Tesla used inventory because of the warranty, selection and accurate description of the options. Had a lot of fun driving it home and getting to know more about the car. When I got home and was washing it I noticed that the 90D badge was missing. Checking the photos I saw that it was missing on them as well. Emailed my delivery advisor and he arranged to have that addressed. Mobile service came and installed the badge. Is the car perfect, no, it’s a 3 year old car but was well cared for. Expensive, yes, but so much better than anything else- kind of ruined my enthusiasm for my otherwise great 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Later noticed the rusted bolts on the top of the hatch struts and that will be taken care of as well. And the airbag recall will be taken care of by mobile service too. I really love the car -a blast to drive and fantastic sound system. I will never buy another ICE car, and really enjoy the AP 1 and the free supercharging.
    Silver/grey leather, Ultra High Fidelity, Subzero, and Smart Air Suspension.

• Like x 1