Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO / Used Model 3 Potential issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you on this forum, I'm interested in a used Model 3 (specially; LR RWD or AWD). I spoke with Bill Collins at Used Vehicle Sales a week or so ago and they are expecting more used inventory in the coming weeks (specifically lease returns). The Tesla site had a few listings for 2017's & 18's with higher mileage today (2K - 13K miles). Attached is a screen shot of one that caught my eye a couple of hours ago that has already gone. Like many have said, other than the few used M3's that hit the site in mid August (and sold out in 20 minutes) the prices just haven't been discounted enough to make it worth while vs buying a new one. I appreciate used inventory from Tesla go through their "70 point inspection", but unlike CPO vehicles from other auto manufactures, based on user experiences on forums like this, I'm concerned about the build quality and reliability of the older models. My local Tesla Sales rep also told me that the newer M3's are better made than earlier versions (it seems that even newly manufactured vehicles have QC issue). This does not exactly inspire confidence in purchasing used. At least if you purchase new you have 7 day 1K mile window to return the car. This will be my first Tesla and while I appreciate that it's not like buying a car from another manufacture as Tesla continues to refine/tweek it's manufacturing process and provide software updates to improve the car (which is a good thing) but no two cars are the same and that the car coming off the line today is likely to be more refined than the car that came off the line in the past (even for the same model year). I appreciate I'm being a bit extreme here and Tesla is delivering thousands of cars that have zero issues, but I think its fair to say the risk is greater you will find something amiss with a Tesla compared with other auto manufactures and when purchasing a used vehicle that risk is even greater. So, from how I see it today, I'm better off just buying a new Tesla and is not worth the potential risk going with a CPO (especially given the current prices for a CPO are not particularly compelling). Don’t get me wrong, I think Tesla is doing great things and this is all part of a better future for the auto industry (and the environment!), but if does require me to rethink how I would have gone about purchasing a vehicle in the past.
2018 M3 9.3.19. 12K miles.png

Reactions: Daniel_6
It seems like you have already talked yourself out of a CPO vehicle. I myself wouldn't go used in this stage of the game due to the fact that the prices are so close that you would be missing out on the tax incetives and rebates from the state. The $1850 Fed and what CA gives you would offset the difference between USED vs NEW.

With that being said I do check out the car sights looking for a screaming deal. Carvana has 19 listed and almost all of them are purchase pending with 3 or 4 as me looking coming in.

Yes, given current prices of used inventory, if you were to take into account tax credits and rebates that have likely already been claimed then they are making money on the deal. I'm trying to get into a CPO 2018 M3 LR for around $40K with low miles which will basically be the price of the car new less the original $7,500 Tax rebate. This seems like it should be possible and isn't unrealistic. If I can't find one in the next week or so then it will be a new Standard Range +. The CPO I shared in my original post (that is now gone) was in that range and thinking about it now I wish I had gone for it (if there was one then no doubt there will be more). I appreciate that at some point you have to pull the trigger and make a decision and go for it, but now that what could be considered a luxury (unlike the Bolt) 200+ range EV has hit the $35K price threshold, I think we are going to see a lot more depreciation over the next couple of years across the board as all manufactures compete and Tesla continues to bring prices down and range up. I hang on to my cars for a long time now (finally got out of the trade in and loose cycle every 2 or 3 years!), so I'm looking to hang on to the Tesla for at least 6 years. I'll keep looking (but your right, as you have stated, I have kind of talked myself out of it LOL!)