Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO (used) prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a frequent follower of Ev CPO website, I follow price trends pretty closely. Been looking for my next Tesla, a P85D,and prices had seemed very reasonable as of late. I don’t understand the rationale behind a green P85D with four year warranty selling for $53,300 late last week, and today it is listed at $67,600! Probably the answer is because they can, but there appears to be no consistent pricing structure.

Anyone have thoughts/insight that may explain the erratic pricing policy?

Definitely true. I saw mine move up and down half a dozen times before biting the bullet and hitting the BUY button. I got lucky and got it at its lowest. It's like gambling almost! There were a couple of other models I had my eye on and when the price got low enough they got snatched up!

It really is mind boggling. I bought a P90DL in Houston for $73,300 last week. It had 22,700 miles and was basically mint condition. The "Discount" column showed more than a $20,000 discount. There was one in Missouri that was closer to me that was exactly the same, with about 26,000 miles that was listed at $87,000. The discount was like $14,000. None of that math adds up.

I'm super happy that I got the one in Houston, even though it was a 2-day 900+ mile drive home.

Definitely true. I saw mine move up and down half a dozen times before biting the bullet and hitting the BUY button. I got lucky and got it at its lowest. It's like gambling almost! There were a couple of other models I had my eye on and when the price got low enough they got snatched up!
Lol, it is like gambling. I keep watching (clicking) one and the price vacillates ~$500/day. I need to ignore it for a few days to see some downside action!

I have NO idea how the price is set. I know end of October/early November the prices were going down consistently on anything on the site by $500 - $1500 / day. The suddenly it stopped last week and now the drops are fewer and often reversed. I've seen P100D's listed for less than 100D's and 100D's fully loaded selling for far less than a lower optioned 75D. It's very odd but maybe there's some algorithm that's picking up all kinds of data like clicks and current as well as expected inventory (from future lease turn in's that they should know are coming)? But honestly given what a mess the used sales are, i doubt it's that sophisticated.

I don't understand why Tesla wouldn't have a full 360 view in HD of inside and out of all used cars and present them better to buyers. Certainly with a better process they would get a higher price which would in turn allow them to offer a higher residual for new cars and sell more new cars.

Reactions: Donz_S
I’ve been watching pretty closely as well for the past few months and finally pulled the trigger on a P85d last month.

I know on the Tesla website (not Ev-CPO) the inventory adjusts a lot and one day there is a ton of cars then the next they are gone (if you use the ev-CPO website and link, you can still get to the cars page).

I’ve looked for patterns on the price drops but no luck and seems totally random.

I do know when cars get “claimed” via deposit, but later returned to the pool of available vehicles, they usually come back and the same price. But then drop steadily and significantly as if, it was rejected once or twice, so the value takes a hit.

All just theory, so don’t hold me to any of it!

it is supposed to be a Dutch auction-style Sales Model.

But there does also seem to be an algorithmic component that will either slightly raise the price, or if the vehicle sits for too long, resets the price near the “starting point”.

It doesn't take long to browse through the charts to find some interesting pricing schemes.

upload_2018-11-13_21-25-0.png

It really is mind boggling. I bought a P90DL in Houston for $73,300 last week. It had 22,700 miles and was basically mint condition. The "Discount" column showed more than a $20,000 discount. There was one in Missouri that was closer to me that was exactly the same, with about 26,000 miles that was listed at $87,000. The discount was like $14,000. None of that math adds up.

I'm super happy that I got the one in Houston, even though it was a 2-day 900+ mile drive home.

It's tough to make sense of the CPO pricing. They go up and they come down. Just pay attention to your budget, how much you want to pay, and focus on what's available within your price range because there are wild fluctuations with CPO pricing and the price is not necessarily indicative of the condition of the car.

A few months ago, a CPO car a forum member rejected due to damage was promptly put back on the market with an over $10K price increase and that price promptly came back down after no one bought it at the price listed.

The price fluctuations of the CPO inventory makes as much sense and is as customer friendly and straightforward as the rest of the CPO program :rolleyes:

The good news is if you are patient and look carefully, you can snag a CPO P85D now for the low 50s.

Reactions: MC408
I noticeable all the models I was bookmarking all went up significantly. Saw a S70 at $41 go to $44k and never went down again. Also when i checked EV-CPO their price is actually $500 HIGHER than tesla's own site, the only difference was "share" in the link. Refreshed both pages and they stayed at two different prices.