Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO verse private sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. I emailed them again and this time I was told what you stated, that only the original owner can purchase the warranty. I emailed them saying I was told when I first purchased my car that anyone can buy it and I got this response "Thank you again for your response. It is my understanding that the terms I reviewed with you are policy, however I have created a concern and escalated this request to your local service for review."

Personally, I'm looking at buying a CPO but not from a 3rd party private.

Possible advantages to CPO (though some may not be applicable, depending on the situation and personal preferences):

1) CPO purchase gets reconditioning by Tesla.
2) CPO gets it's own warranty.
3) CPO purchase presumably comes with Tesla financing and trade-in services, if so desired.
4) CPO purchase more directly benefits Tesla. This matters to me as I want to contribute to the success of the company as directly as possible.

Except that CPO warranty is only good for 4 years and you have no way to extend that. Even if it is a 2016 CPO you have no way to extend the warranty beyond 4 years so IMHO a private party car with the Extended warranty for 8 full years is a lot more desirable for those who plan on driving the car for more than 4 years with warranty coverage. Even if you plan to keep the car for just 4 years it will be a lot easier to sell with a warranty than not.

Your desire to support Tesla is quite admirable but I suppose you can always buy private party and then send a separate donation check to Tesla :)

There are those of us with CPOs hoping they do before our warranty runs out!

Would you still keep your CPO if they don't offer an Extended Warranty option for CPO cars? Stories of $1,300 bills for out of warranty door handles are a bit disconcerting.

Anyone selling a private party Tesla should really highlight the fact that you can offer the car with an Extended Warranty as that could be really beneficial for some buyers and it is not something you can get with a CPO car for whatever reason.

Would you still keep your CPO if they don't offer an Extended Warranty option for CPO cars? Stories of $1,300 bills for out of warranty door handles are a bit disconcerting.

Anyone selling a private party Tesla should really highlight the fact that you can offer the car with an Extended Warranty as that could be really beneficial for some buyers and it is not something you can get with a CPO car for whatever reason.

Unlikely. And the S was more than I would normally spend, even accounting that I previously kept cars around 10 years. The next one would force me to downgrade to a 3 or a competitor.

This is so weird about Tesla not offering extended warranty on a CPO car. IMHO They need to change their policy.
Tesla may feel they need to work hard at differentiating from their own cars, which may hold up quite well. The new ones get better, but functionally the old ones hold value.

Sfteinway's biggest competition, so they say, "is a used Steinway". So, drop the warranty and play up the "who done it", of independent care. ....better get a new one, people will think.

Last edited:

This was one of the biggest reasons I bought my Model S as a private party sale. It was offered with the 8yr extended warranty, and the 8yr pre-paid maintenance. Made the decision easy!