Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO vs. Non CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading story after story on this site of issues with CPO's, why not buy from a third party, especially if the most expensive part of the car is the battery pack, which has an 8 year, unlimited mile warranty?

I searched to see if this question was answered and could not find an answer, so I apologize if I missed it.

I bought a CPO and considered going thru a third party.

The 4 year Bumper to Bumper warranty was what sold me on a CPO.

You can’t purchase the Tesla extended warranty if you buy from a 3rd party.

The MCU is very expensive, door handles are another expensive part to replace (if you go thru Tesla). Having that peace of mind was worth the hassle of going thru the CPO process.

3rd party pricing was also higher than the CPO pricing when I was looking (Aug 2018)

The CPO process is a pain but in the end I was happy with my car.

I bought a CPO and considered going thru a third party.

The 4 year Bumper to Bumper warranty was what sold me on a CPO.

The MCU is very expensive, door handles are another expensive part to replace (if you go thru Tesla). Having that peace of mind was worth the hassle of going thru the CPO process.

3rd party pricing was also higher than the CPO pricing when I was looking (Aug 2018)

The CPO process is a pain but in the end I was happy with my car.

Gracias!

Not correct. You CAN buy the ESA from Tesla if you buy a used Tesla from any private party. The only time you can not buy the ESA from Tesla is if you buy a used car from a actual (used) car dealer.

See: Extended Service Agreement

upload_2019-1-30_21-41-8.png

Not correct. You CAN buy the ESA from Tesla if you buy a used Tesla from any private party. The only time you can not buy the ESA from Tesla is if you buy a used car from a actual (used) car dealer.

View attachment 373318
I meant 3rd party as in dealership.
Yes if you purchase from an individual you can buy the ESA.

With the ESA there is a $200 deductible per visit. With my CPO warranty there is no deductible

View attachment 373318

So would this car be available for purchasing the ESA during the factory warranty period? According to the text as it is, it seems you can purchase the ESA as long as YOU purchased the car from a private party...

Original Tesla Owner > Dealer Trade > Private party > Private party

I just bought one from a dealer which is still under factory warranty for 9 months. Hoping to get issues sorted out during that time (found a couple so far). I honestly probably wouldn't buy ESA anyway, it's a lot of money. Sure, if the MCU fails, then you'll spend $4k on replacing it, but I am hoping (betting) it won't. $4k is a lot of repairs and if I can't trust my car enough to be confident it won't need so many repairs in the next few years, why did I even buy it? Plus you have that $200 deductible per visit. I don't know, if the car starts acting up too much and cost me too much money, I'll sell it and buy a Toyota.

Reactions: Denila
I'd say it really depends on what year car you plan on buying. My older 2014 that I bought in 2016 (cpo) had a lot of issues for the first year and a half and then no more. My newer 2016 (still Cpo) that I just bought on wednesday seems like a much better built and will most likely have a lot less issues. But then again this is only based on my first impressions.

I live in Montreal so the used market is probably different from the US but in my case the CPO cars where the same price as the best private party deals.

Reading all the responses from people purchasing a Tesla whether it be a CPO car or new is pretty scary. You find nightmares in new or used purchases and on the other hand, some people have had great experiences. It's very concerning to someone like me contemplating buying a Tesla. I've looked around and I'm not positive what the 4 year CPO warranty covers. Is it a bumper to bumper? Does anyone know what is excluded?