Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO wait times in SF Bay Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if any others recently purchased a CPO in the bay area (and are picking it up locally) and what your wait times were?

In my case it seems to be quite a long time. I placed my deposit on 7-14 (a week ago), and today was informed will have to wait for an additional 4-6 weeks. So that means a total of 5-7 weeks to get the car! Seems a bit long especially since I am not even having the car shipped. Anyone who ordered recently experienced similar wait times?

Wow that's fast. How recent was this? Do you recall if they had to fix or replace a bunch of things or just light conditioning?
This was in June, deposit on the 6th, picked up 17th
There was a slight damage on the bumper that a detailer was able to get off
I did however ask them to rush the delivery as I had planned to use it in a wedding

Why rent a limo when you have access to a model s!

I am curious if any others recently purchased a CPO in the bay area (and are picking it up locally) and what your wait times were?

In my case it seems to be quite a long time. I placed my deposit on 7-14 (a week ago), and today was informed will have to wait for an additional 4-6 weeks. So that means a total of 5-7 weeks to get the car! Seems a bit long especially since I am not even having the car shipped. Anyone who ordered recently experienced similar wait times?

hey i'm in the bay area as well. and i'm deciding on getting a CPO. can you just not goto the tesla dealership and pick one up and drive it home the same day like you would any other dealership? cause thats what i was gonna do.

are you only limited to what you see on the CPO website and choose 1 and pay the $1000 deposit? what if I want to browse through a few of the cars in person to compare the condition of the car etc.?

hey i'm in the bay area as well. and i'm deciding on getting a CPO. can you just not goto the tesla dealership and pick one up and drive it home the same day like you would any other dealership? cause thats what i was gonna do.
are you only limited to what you see on the CPO website and choose 1 and pay the $1000 deposit? what if I want to browse through a few of the cars in person to compare the condition of the car etc.?
Tesla's CPO cars are distributed across the US. Tesla does not maintain large parking lots with masses of used cars. So you will never be able to physically see, in person, more than a few at a time (on the West Coast I think the Buena Park showroom has the largest number in one place).

Tesla also has CPO cars and "inventory" cars (showroom cars that are demos and have never been titled) available that are not yet on the CPO website and that you won't know about unless you ask for assistance from someone at a showroom to search for.

My advice is to first try to narrow down what battery size and options you are most interested in, then go in to a showroom and ask for assistance in finding cars like that. Then determine which of the resulting cars that fit your needs are close enough to go see in person. It will only be a small number.

Note: Tesla has no "dealerships". That word means an independent franchised company that sells new cars from a specific manufacturer(s) and also used cars of course. All Tesla showrooms are owned by Tesla, and as such do not have the agenda of doing whatever it takes to sell new cars so they can then service those cars. That is how "dealerships" make money. That is not how Tesla makes money.

This concern over wording and definitions may seem trivial to some, but it matters. Tesla is not a traditional car company, and having no dealerships is part of that.

i completely get it. i use the term "dealership" loosely here for lack of a better term. i guess wharehours, lot or showroom will probably be more suitable but anyways. i narrowed down to 2 cars that i liked on the CPO website, its located in san diego and was just planning to make a trip down there and pick it up and drive it back. that is if i do decide to buy it, but it doesnt look like thats how it works?

i narrowed down to 2 cars that i liked on the CPO website, its located in san diego and was just planning to make a trip down there and pick it up and drive it back. that is if i do decide to buy it, but it doesnt look like thats how it works?

Correct.

I'm waiting on a CPO, and was told that prep takes about 2-4 weeks, and then up to about a week for delivery (which I assume would be no additional wait if you go to the location where the car is to pick it up).

I believe Tesla lists the car before doing any necessary work on it. That also may explain why they do not show actual pictures of the CPO cars.

I believe Tesla lists the car before doing any necessary work on it. That also may explain why they do not show actual pictures of the CPO cars.

Another interesting tidbit. My CPO is listed as "Used - Previous service/demo vehicle". And the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement shows 170 more miles than the original CPO listing. So it looks like Tesla decided to sell the car, listed it, but kept using it as a demo vehicle until a sale went through.

Majority of the CPO right now are being used as loaners at service centers. There are no CPO just sitting in a parking lot waiting to be purchased. So you won't be able to drive up to a Tesla store/service center, pick out the CPO car you want and drive it home.

Like many have said, once you put down the deposit, the waiting game begins. Depending where you are located and where your CPO is located, it can take a couple weeks or more than a month to have your car delivered. Basically, everyone will have different delivery timeline. There's no set timeline on when Tesla is supposed to deliver customer's car once deposit has been made. I rather have the service center take their time and do their due diligence in making sure the car is 100% working properly and replace all wore down parts.

Don't expect your CPO to be 100% perfect, even when the sales person/adviser said so. The car is certified, not fully refurbished to reflect as a brand new car. There will be rattles, creaks, imperfections, etc. You can either reject the car on delivery day or accept the car with a due bill. I am 100% sure you will bringing your car back to the service center to get things fixed/repaired.

• Informative
Reactions: dehydratedH2O