Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO with low mileage and accident or high mileage no accident?

CPO with low mileage and accident or high mileage no accident?

• Low mileage with accident history

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • High mileage with no accident history

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a CPO X and the two cars (priced exactly the same) that I'm having trouble deciding between is one with 20k miles but have been in two accidents that are listed on Carfax or one with 58k miles with a clean history. Spec-wise, the higher mileage one has a subzero and 22" wheels. Higher mileage one has 2-year warranty while lower mileage one has 4-year warranty. What would you guys pick if those are the only options?

Neither, i just purchased a cpo 2016 X that had 45k which qualified for the 4 year warranty and it gives me a great peace of mind. I was in a similar dilemma and went through a few sleepless nights debating between my 2016 X with 45k or a 2018 X with 57k that only had a 2 year warranty. Even though I can only assume that it was all highway miles, the peace of mind of the additional 2 years of warranty won out.

Also, good luck trying to get a decent value if you ever decide to sell with accidents on a carfax, especially one that has been in two accidents.

Although mileage isn't irrelevant, it's much less relevant for an EV than for an ICE car. So I'd say "no accident" wins, hands down.

mileage matters every bit as much on an EV as it does on ICE. It’s called a warranty. If I had to choose I’d take the low mileage one. Be nice to know how serious the accidents were though. Most likely fender benders, it’s a great way to save money when some dope put a $1200 claim in for a scratched up bumper.

Check how many miles driven after last accident (did they dump it immediately after last accident)
CarFax might classify accident as major or minor.
CarFax might list body shop, try to find out how severe.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
mileage matters every bit as much on an EV as it does on ICE. It’s called a warranty. If I had to choose I’d take the low mileage one. Be nice to know how serious the accidents were though. Most likely fender benders, it’s a great way to save money when some dope put a $1200 claim in for a scratched up bumper.
Both passenger side doors were replaced and front bumper was replaced as well

Wow. That was some sort of major accident with too few parts replaced, or maybe multiple accidents. Either way I would pass on the damaged and repaired vehicle.

I'm sure it cost plenty but could be scraped up versus bashed in. I agree was it the passenger front door twice. Or was it FWD and front passenger door once.

I'd be on the fence. Like I said, how long did owner drive it after the last accident? If it happened in say first 5000 miles and they drove for 20K it was probably fine. If it happened in the last 1000 miles maybe that's why they dumped it.

I had $12K damage on a $32K car, really bashed in. Thought for sure it would be a lemon. Best car I ever owned and kept it longer and drove further than any car (12 years and 230K miles, accident was at 60K miles).

His high mileage one has no warranty and I don't think he can add it. Except for battery and drive units. Verus the accident one is fully covered and I think cound be extended.

I just purchased extended warranty on my X, I will never own a Tesla without a warranty.

Also just because a car does not show an accident on CarFax is not proof any used car was not in an accident. That's why I never buy used in the first place. You have no idea on the history and the high mileage one could be a lemon and the accident one be perfect.

Last edited:
Although mileage isn't irrelevant, it's much less relevant for an EV than for an ICE car. So I'd say "no accident" wins, hands down.
Carfax says both were "minor accidents", but I would trust Tesla's part history more.

His high mileage one has no warranty and I don't think he can add it. Except for battery and drive units. Verus the accident one is fully covered and I think cound be extended.
High mileage (56k to be exact) one does have warranty, but 2 years instead of 4 years on that accident one. Both are in addition to the battery and drive unit warranty.
I'd be on the fence. Like I said, how long did owner drive it after the last accident? If it happened in say first 5000 miles and they drove for 20K it was probably fine. If it happened in the last 1000 miles maybe that's why they dumped it.
Both accidents happened in 2017 and lease was returned in late 2019.
Also just because a car does not show an accident on CarFax is not proof any used car was not in an accident. That's why I never buy used in the first place. You have no idea on the history and the high mileage one could be a lemon and the accident one be perfect.
Tesla was able to provide the parts that were replaced on the car. Let's say a car doesn't show an accident on CarFax, Tesla would still be able to tell you that which panels were replaced. Slightly more information I guess.

Last edited:
Low mileage means less wear on the battery, and less wear and tear on the interior

If the accident was professionally repaired by a repair shop with proper Tesla knowledge, sounds like you have a good deal. Take it.

Additional factor is you really can't rely too much on the accident history.

If you plan to keep the car for 4+ years, the effect on future resale price of the repairs will fade away, but the starting lower mileage will always be to your benefit.

Last edited:
Just an update. I ended up getting the one with higher mileage. The vote is pretty much 50:50 here, so that just shows how hard this is for me. Haha...
My rationale ended up being that I don’t actively plan to keep the car for a long time, meaning if I see something better specs (HW2, or even HW2.5/3 when those X100D leases come up this year), I don’t mind trading it up. So no accident will probably make it easier to sell in the future. Also, for the same price, I got a couple more options (subzero, 22” wheels) on the higher mileage car.
What’s funny was after I had cancelled on the car with accidents, it showed up on a used dealer site a couple of weeks later with almost $10k more than what Tesla sold it to me for.
Thank you all for weighing in.

Depends entirely on the 'accident'..

My model S was keyed , and insurance paid for repainting. The repainting looks fabulous, can't tell anything ever happened. Yet its there on CarFax.

The key issue is whether the accident was more than cosmetic , if it was a minor scrape take the low mileage car.

If it involved anything more than sheet metal, take the clean history.

My 2 bits.

Depends entirely on the 'accident'..

My model S was keyed , and insurance paid for repainting. The repainting looks fabulous, can't tell anything ever happened. Yet its there on CarFax.

The key issue is whether the accident was more than cosmetic , if it was a minor scrape take the low mileage car.

If it involved anything more than sheet metal, take the clean history.

My 2 bits.
Agreed. Tesla sent me the CARFAX and told me that the parts that were replaced on the cars were the front bumper and the two passenger side doors. So to me that's way more than just cosmetic.

Agreed. Tesla sent me the CARFAX and told me that the parts that were replaced on the cars were the front bumper and the two passenger side doors. So to me that's way more than just cosmetic.

If there was no "frame" damage, it shouldn't affect the viability of the vehicle going forwards.

I think CarFax are running a scare campaign against mildly damaged, well-repaired vehicles to promote their business, whereas the real concern is the low-ish volume of seriously damaged cars, submerged cars, and, finally, moderately damaged, cheaply repaired cars .

I dunno, Tesla's seem to develop rattles and other noises at the drop of a hat. I wouldn't want to take a chance on an accident car, even a minor one, because of the possibility of exacerbating what is already a common issue even on pristine cars.

IMO, OP made the right choice going with the clean history option.

• Disagree
I dunno, Tesla's seem to develop rattles and other noises at the drop of a hat. I wouldn't want to take a chance on an accident car, even a minor one, because of the possibility of exacerbating what is already a common issue even on pristine cars.

IMO, OP made the right choice going with the clean history option.
Honestly, the only that made me less comfortable about the clean history car was that the mileage is over 50k miles and the warranty is cut from 4 to 2 years.