Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPOs will keep unlimited supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this will help sell some "classic" cpo's (like mine), so it expands the number of electric vehicles on the road (which is Musk's goal all along, right?).
All classic CPOs will be sold, of course, it just depends on the price. It will do nothing for the number of EVs on the road. However many Teslas were built from 2012-2016 will be on the road for many years, minus the totaled ones.

I don't understand the logic here. Of course cars sold privately would still keep supercharging for life, but for cars traded in to Tesla, the promise no longer applies. Tesla could sell the used car with whatever supercharging policy it wanted, as long as it was disclosed to the buyer. Why sell these with unlimited supercharging when new cars will only have 400 kWh/yr? The CPOs will be purchased by price-sensitive buyers who live near superchargers and will contribute to supercharger overcrowding. This seems to be an unforced error.

Tesla would have to eat the market value of unlimited supercharging on every car they turn over.

I still see McNeill's tweet as only applicable to cars purchased while the "supercharging for life" text is/was part of the sale. The fact it is for the car's life seems only to apply to the owner who bought when "supercharging for life" was stated.

I still see McNeill's tweet as only applicable to cars purchased while the "supercharging for life" text is/was part of the sale. The fact it is for the car's life seems only to apply to the owner who bought when "supercharging for life" was stated.

Here is the full exchange on twitter. I think Electrek is interpreting it correctly, especially when you consider the extension hadn't been announced when the first response happened that CPOs carry lifetime supercharging.

IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg

Here is the full exchange on twitter. I think Electrek is interpreting it correctly, especially when you consider the extension hadn't been announced when the first response happened that CPOs carry lifetime supercharging.

View attachment 210191 View attachment 210192

This may drive CPO price support. It also may allow importation of CPOs into "hotter" EV countries like Norway as they get traded in around other parts of Europe. Making CPOs more attractive is not always a good thing if the intention is to sell new units.

As Nick H. says above - the showroom teams are begin told one thing different than Jon Mc. is stating.

We will see in a few days, but I still hold that I think we all are overcomplicating this and Tesla will simply have all 2012-2016 + a few 2017s have unlimited Supercharging access. These cars become an ever decreasing of the network and with moves to address the eventual majority, it's a problem (cost of support, congestion, etc.) that just naturally will go away. Removing Supercharging from the listing was simply simplification.

Now, I could be wrong, but hopefully not. It wouldn't make sense (though how many things do?!? :) ) for Tesla to focus on a "non-problem".

Keep in mind Supercharging and it's "free fuel for life" was an economic lever that people choose to recognize when buying. Removal may or may not have a general sweeping value shift - depending on the price per kWh at the superchargers above 400kWh/qtr and/or if you can/cannot roll forward unused kWh per quarter. if the price per kWH is prohibitive, it can be a slight headwind but also make "newswires" about the potential "rising costs of owning an EV" - including state by state increase of fees for EV ownership over ICE. Many consumers are price-reactive and implications of ongoing TCO are part of the supercharger paradigm. Having a price per kWh also kind of reduces the need to install in-city supercharging sites and only have them on highways for long-range driving. Would have been nice to have it be free for "everyone" including Model 3 owners and just see more and more SC's popping up everywhere. But it is costly to do that.