Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPU upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic.

Do we have option to upgrade Tesla Model 3 CPU from intel to AMD?

I found noticeable difference in UI response when I took test drive of Model Y over the weekend?

Thanks

Won’t be possible during the parts shortage. I’d expect it to be difficult to order the part.

I’ve seen it said that it ties in to the Lithium battery, so if that really is a requirement it could be problematic to retrofit.

They offered it to my coworker on his 40 series S in a recall(he had the mcu2 upgrade before) for 1500
A Razyen CPU from the MCU3?

MCU1 was always too slow to start with where as MCU2 is absolutely fine. Tesla also designed the MCU2 to be swappable with the MCU1 as at the time the S/X made up most of car sales.

What's far more interesting is if the AP4 FSD cpu (which is 100% coming, and almost certainly will be needed for FSD) will be swappable for current AP3 or even original AP2 CPU cars like our X that were built as long ago as 2016.

Currently there are no signs of a harness /wiring change to the AP systems even in the latest structural pack Ys, so that may be an possible CPU swap if needed.

When AP4 debuts and it is swappable for AP2/3 FSD hardware, that would be mind blowing interms of legacy support from Tesla for cars made almost a decade ago!

A Razyen CPU from the MCU3?

MCU1 was always too slow to start with where as MCU2 is absolutely fine. Tesla also designed the MCU2 to be swappable with the MCU1 as at the time the S/X made up most of car sales.

What's far more interesting is if the AP4 FSD cpu (which is 100% coming, and almost certainly will be needed for FSD) will be swappable for current AP3 or even original AP2 CPU cars like our X that were built as long ago as 2016.

Currently there are no signs of a harness /wiring change to the AP systems even in the latest structural pack Ys, so that may be an possible CPU swap if needed.

When AP4 debuts and it is swappable for AP2/3 FSD hardware, that would be mind blowing interms of legacy support from Tesla for cars made almost a decade ago!
He said Ryzen

This is one of those things where things for model S / X are not applicable at all to model 3 / Y. Even if they did offer that (and I would want to see the actual part numbers etc from the service invoice), it would not apply to model 3 / Y.

We are not sure whether it is a requirement or not, but what we are sure of currently is that ALL tesla model 3 / Ys that come with the ryzen chipset also come with the lithium ion battery. We also know that a source that has been pretty good about leaking tesla information says "no this wont be offered".

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 8.44.37 PM.png

So, I would not expect it in the near term, and maybe not at all, regardless of what is said about S / X.

He said Ryzen

That would be 'odd' good for us consumers but from a business sense, non sense to support such an old car with latest cpu. It's not even as simple as a cpu swap, as the software needs to a rewrite as the new S/X has a landscape screen, and the new CPU as I understand it is running totally different architecture to the Intel Atom.

Was this an internal Tesla 'test' case?

That would be 'odd' good for us consumers but from a business sense, non sense to support such an old car with latest cpu. It's not even as simple as a cpu swap, as the software needs to a rewrite as the new S/X has a landscape screen, and the new CPU as I understand it is running totally different architecture to the Intel Atom.

Was this an internal Tesla 'test' case?
no idea, was a warranty recall issue

We seem to be getting side tracked with a Model S story,

The OP is asking if the M3 with Intel processor can be upgraded to the latest version in the M3 and MY which uses a Ryzen processor. The only aspect that’s analogous to the Model S is the pre 2021 MS and MX cars have both MCU1 and MCU2 and you can upgrade the one to the other.

That said, I agree with others that a bunch of stuff seemed to get changed, most notably the low voltage battery which seems to run at a higher voltage (other components were changed which referenced the voltage change). If there is a higher LV in the car and the Ryzen based MCU needs it, then an upgrade would require the whole LV side in the car to be addressed which is the basis for the argument that upgrades are unlikely.

Just to add to this, the MCU3 is amazing! I’ve had my Ryzen car for a month now, and I actually use Youtube an Netflix on it because they open so fast, also the browser is crazy fast, using it for Tesla web apps for iPlayer etc in full screen is sublime!

That said, I agree with others that a bunch of stuff seemed to get changed, most notably the low voltage battery which seems to run at a higher voltage (other components were changed which referenced the voltage change). If there is a higher LV in the car and the Ryzen based MCU needs it, then an upgrade would require the whole LV side in the car to be addressed which is the basis for the argument that upgrades are unlikely.
If the higher LV comes into play then I'd speculate that the Ryzen based MCU can operate at both older 14.4v and newer 16.5v, as it's going to internally operate at 5v and 3.3v anyway, but possibly the older Intel based MCU cannot handle the higher input voltage as it was never designed to.

I believe Tesla has stated that the lithium LV battery won't be available as a retrofit for vehicles with the lead-acid battery because of as you say other components that cannot handle the higher voltage, e.g. the washer fluid pump is uprated on the latest vehicles.

If the higher LV comes into play then I'd speculate that the Ryzen based MCU can operate at both older 14.4v and newer 16.5v, as it's going to internally operate at 5v and 3.3v anyway, but possibly the older Intel based MCU cannot handle the higher input voltage as it was never designed to.

I believe Tesla has stated that the lithium LV battery won't be available as a retrofit for vehicles with the lead-acid battery because of as you say other components that cannot handle the higher voltage, e.g. the washer fluid pump is uprated on the latest vehicles.
I would think it is not beyond the wit of man to be able to retrofit MCU3. If input voltage is the only practical issue, the boards can be reworked, or other stuff added in the electrical pathway to step up the voltage.

If there is sufficient interest I'd assume Tesla would investigate it. But Tesla being Tesla there is every chance they would simply say that people need to upgrade their whole car to get it, which is a departure from previous attitudes (i.e. MCU1 cars can upgrade to MCU2, etc).

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the promise when we paid for the FSD option was that all hardware necessary to achieve FSD was included. Whilst it is a long way off, when (if) it ever makes it to the UK I will expect that they live up to that promise. I am not holding my breath ....

The MCU isn't relevant to FSD, though. That's a separate computer. I would agree that for FSD owners Tesla would need to honour future hardware upgrades in that department. I don't suppose there is any requirement to do it in any particular timeframe, though.

From doing some searching I've seen threads where people (in the States) got lithium 12v and Intel Atom MCU, so clearly it is possible to have at least one "wrong" part in the equation.