Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer to never use the grid for charging unless I need to. Since I don't drive much all this means is I charge tomorrow in addition to today.

I thought about this myself and as long as you're not charging on-peak, isn't it really the same as just charging from the grid off-peak and when the sun is out, instead of charging the EV, just EXPORT that energy instead?

Oh ok I see. You're like @jjrandorin where you try to be self-powered as much as possible to use the grid as little as possible.

Did you see that thread about software that can modulate your Tesla EV charge rate to exactly equal to the solar production less your normal home usage? That way after your PWs fill up.. the car soaks up solar instead of exporting back to the grid. This means you can charge without depleting your PWs, and you can save on NBCs since you won't have to export the solar than re-import it later to charge the car.

The software is called "ChargeHQ". It's in beta, but you may have a better experience with it than me since you have a single inverter instead of micros. ChargeHQ and my Model 3 are causing some weird behavior with my Enphase micros. I'm not sure why. But when it works; it's pretty cool.

I have not heard of ChargeHQ but is sounds interesting. However, am I correct in assume the Gen 3 means a Tesla Gen 3 charger/wall adapter with Wi-Fi support. If so, that is a problem since I have a Tesla Gen 2 signature charger. Never mind. I see it is a phone app.

Last edited:
I have not heard of ChargeHQ but is sounds interesting. However, am I correct in assume the Gen 3 means a Tesla Gen 3 charger/wall adapter with Wi-Fi support. If so, that is a problem since I have a Tesla Gen 2 signature charger.

Sorry the post I linked started initially about the Gen 3 charger; but Charge HQ does not need the Gen 3 wall charger. Edit: All you need is a Tesla Model 3 or model S (model Y and X support isn't ready yet).

The car determines the charge rate... so for ChargeHQ, it doesn't really matter what you have on the wall.

Last edited:
No reason you could not, but charging a car does consume 12 kW. House generates about 8 kW at noon so that means Powerwalls are always draining when a vehicle is charging. So, I terminated charging to ensure my Powerwalls were full, even after pre-cooling the house, prior to the 4 PM peak rate start.

That's why I adjust the charge rate from the Tesla app to match my solar excess once my PWs are full. When I need to charge, I'd rather have excess PV go to the vehicle instead of the grid!

Reactions: jboy210
Sorry the post I linked started initially about the Gen 3 charger; but Charge HQ does not need the Gen 3 wall charger. All you need is a Tesla Model 3 or model S (model Y and X support isn't ready yet).

The car determines the charge rate... so for ChargeHQ, it doesn't really matter what you have on the wall.
Thanks. It looks interesting. Unfortunately, we mostly charge our 2022 X not the 3. Also, any idea why the S and not X or 3 and not Y? They don't like SUVs ;)

Yeah I gotta fact check myself... Charge HQ says it works with most model X. I got it all mixed up in my previous post.

I have no clue what a MCU is, but your 2022 X should have the one that works with the ChargeHQ app.

Yeah I gotta fact check myself... Charge HQ says it works with most model X. I got it all mixed up in my previous post.

I have no clue what a MCU is, but your 2022 X should have the one that works with the ChargeHQ app.

Trying to find someone who wants free charging at my house now. :)

Thanks. And MCU is Media Control Unit. It is the Tesla's computer that controls the display and some other functions.

Last edited:

I believe the MCU switch was early 2018. My July 2018 Model X has MCU 2 and works fine with ChargeHQ.

I believe the MCU switch was early 2018. My July 2018 Model X has MCU 2 and works fine with ChargeHQ.
Pretty sure this is correct. IIRC mid-March 2018 was the cut over. In typical Tesla fashion cars coming one day had the MCU1 and the next day they had MCU2. After test driving a Jan 2018 X, I was very happy that my late May X had the much faster MCU 2.

Was thinking about this. I have my downstairs set at 66, upstairs 70. Big heat up today so they will probably ask folks to limit use of electricity.
But in my case, I have enough solar that I am not using any electricity from the grid to cool me house, PLUS, I am sending a whole bunch back to them to use for the grid. Seems them should be saying thank you to me, rather than charging me more since it seems I am helping them not either having blackouts, or spending more money to build plants?

Reactions: J0hn_
Was thinking about this. I have my downstairs set at 66, upstairs 70. Big heat up today so they will probably ask folks to limit use of electricity.
But in my case, I have enough solar that I am not using any electricity from the grid to cool me house, PLUS, I am sending a whole bunch back to them to use for the grid. Seems them should be saying thank you to me, rather than charging me more since it seems I am helping them not either having blackouts, or spending more money to build plants?
Either your thermostats are uncalibrated or our bodies are. We literally have our two story house at about the same location as you are at 10 degrees higher than what you have set. And during peak periods we step it up another two degrees.

My house was 75 this AM and my wife is wearing a sweater. 🙂

BTW last night was the first night for our 2 brand new variable speed heat pumps to run on AC mode overnight. At 11 I set the upstairs to 75, the core of downstairs to 72 and our bedroom/bath at 68. Coming from near 78 they together drew ~5 kW for an hour and then mostly limped along at about 2 kW for the entire night. And the best part was that I never heard a peep out of either of the compressors even thought they are just outside of my window.

Since Jan of this year, we have pushed 1,587 kWh to the grid (inland S Cal). Yesterday it was 88 degrees here. True Up with SCE is mid July, so by then we usually break even.

Electrical Usage Jan-May 2022.jpg

They are thanking you… they’re giving you the credit for exports at the retail rate.

It’s the potential future people who don’t have solar yet that are getting a swift kick in the 🥥 or 🍒

Btw CALSSA and the SEIA did propose a gradual transition and endpoint fees in NEM 3.0 that seemed much more fair to continue residential solar adoption including programs for poorer families. Of course the IOU’s pretend like the SEIA/CALSSA proposal was just to continue NEM 2

Either your thermostats are uncalibrated or our bodies are. We literally have our two story house at about the same location as you are at 10 degrees higher than what you have set. And during peak periods we step it up another two degrees.

My house was 75 this AM and my wife is wearing a sweater. 🙂

BTW last night was the first night for our 2 brand new variable speed heat pumps to run on AC mode overnight. At 11 I set the upstairs to 75, the core of downstairs to 72 and our bedroom/bath at 68. Coming from near 78 they together drew ~5 kW for an hour and then mostly limped along at about 2 kW for the entire night. And the best part was that I never heard a peep out of either of the compressors even thought they are just outside of my window.
Nah, wife does not like it hot. So much easier sleeping when it is 66 degrees. Going to love today at 70 when outside is pushing 100

I also ran my new heat pump in AC mode last night for the first time and had very similar power draw. Also, the new air handler is variable speed and it was a really nice change from my previous setup where I'd have ice cold air whistling through the vents and cycling regularly. We used to be cold/hot all night with our AC on but this was much more consistent.

Likewise with the quiet. Much louder in the winter.

Reactions: aesculus
I also ran my new heat pump in AC mode last night for the first time and had very similar power draw. Also, the new air handler is variable speed and it was a really nice change from my previous setup where I'd have ice cold air whistling through the vents and cycling regularly. We used to be cold/hot all night with our AC on but this was much more consistent.

Likewise with the quiet. Much louder in the winter.
These new units are like the Tesla's of heat pumps, and the price is about like we paid for Tesla's in the mid decade too.:)

I saw this posted on NextDoor. Apologize if it has been posted before

Just received this from the Solar Alliance Group: ======================= Despite clear public opposition to a Solar Tax and to making solar unaffordable, the CPUC announced last week that they are still considering a Solar Tax of between $300 to $600 per year for the average solar user, while also slashing the credit for the solar energy sent back to the grid.
Because we were so successful at stopping their first Solar Tax, the CPUC is now trying to hide the ball by calling the tax by a different name. Their latest idea is to tax the solar energy you produce and use at home. The less energy you buy from the utility because of your solar, the higher the tax. This is like taxing people who hang-dry their clothing instead of running the dryer. It's absurd, it's intrusive, and it violates every principle of conservation and responsible citizenship.
It contradicts everything the Newsom Administration says it is for: solving climate change, promoting clean energy, making solar more equitable, and keeping the lights on. We are also quite sure it is illegal. But, unless we speak out forcefully against this new Solar Tax proposal, it may very well become the new reality in California. Earlier this year, your voice helped to defeat the CPUC's first Solar Tax.
We need your voice again, as loud as ever:
1) Attend a Don't Tax the Sun Rally on June 2nd in Los Angeles or San Francisco. The events will be held in conjunction with the June 2 meeting of the CPUC. Our goal is create the largest ever submission of live and video-recorded public comments in CPUC history. We need thousands to show up. RSVP for Don't Tax the Sun - Los Angeles - Gather with thousands of solar supporters at Grand Park in LA to make sure the CPUC hears from SoCal! The day will kick off with powerful speakers followed by an opportunity for all attendees to record a short video and submit it to the CPUC and the Governor. We’ll also have food trucks, sign making stations, information booths, and other activities for everyone. RSVP for Don't Tax the Sun - San Francisco - Look the CPUC in the eye and tell them what you think in person on June 2nd! We will kick it off with a rally on the steps of the CPUC, and then help you sign up and speak directly to the CPUC. And, of course, we'll have refreshments! Bonus: All attendees will get a red “Don’t Tax the Sun” and “Stop the Solar Tax” t-shirt along with a sticker that reads, “I testified against the Solar Tax!”
2) Please call Governor Newsom right now at 916-445-2841. His office is open Monday - Friday 9-5. Say your name and where you live. Here's a suggested message: "The CPUC's latest rooftop solar plan is as bad as their first proposal. California should not tax the sun, period. We need more solar, not less. Gov. Newsom must show leadership, right now."
3) Spread the word, however it makes sense for you. Forward this email, make a flyer for your neighbors, post on NextDoor or other social media, whatever works. More detail about the CPUC's new Solar Tax and their plan to send rooftop solar off a cliff. While it totally stinks that we have to keep fighting to stop the CPUC from taxing the Sun, do not be discouraged. They are testing the public to see if they can be tricked or worn down. Let's show them that every time they try that, we fight back even harder.
Thank you for all you do, -- Dave Rosenfeld, Executive Director

P.S. If you are planning to vote in next month's state primary election, you may want to look up how your local candidates for State Legislature responded to our Rooftop Solar Candidate Questionnaire.
Link?