Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how that is any different than what is given under 2.0
I'm confused as this was just updated pricing effective 1/1/24, what were you expecting?

Tariffs are tariffs regardless of NEM 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0. Well except for NEM 3.0 that allows only specific new tariffs. For PG&E this is E-ELEC, I don't recall what the equivalent tariff names are for SDGE and SCE.

Updated FAQ from reddit.

Interesting that on NEM3.0, your NEM3.0 on sale of the home is locked for 9 years (on NEM3.0). I wonder if there will be more value placed on homes for sale under NEM2.0 after April 14th vs. NEM3.0. However, with how high home prices have been, I don't tend to see much increase purely on solar, but this may change since anyone could've put solar on a home purchase for said $15-$25k for a basic system after a buy, but that's not going to be the case moving forward after NEM3.0 (unless there is a NEM4.0 to fix NEM3.0 causing the collapse of tens of thousands of jobs).

In the grand scheme of a home purchase in CA, solar is a small price ($15k - $25k) that is peanuts when someone maybe paying $1 - $2+ mil on a home.

Another point mentioned in a comment is if you sign and get your paperwork all submited to grandfather NEM2.0 from one company, trying to switch to another is probably impossible (too complex, no policy to switch) so if said company went bankrupt or closed down/left CA market due to CA killing off solar, you're probably out of luck as well so maybe it's safer to get it done ASAP before companies leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV and GenSao
What do they mean by 75% lower? I ask because I see people word statistics incorrectly. Do they mean 75% of the current rate (meaning 75 cents to every dollar) or 75% off the current rate (meaning 25 cents to every dollar)?

Assuming it's $1/kWh,

NEM 3.0 will buy say, peak power at $0.25, but when you need it on a cloudy day, it's $1.00. Every region is different, but that's the general gist as I understand it.

In San Diego, it's more like you export at $0.13 and you buy at $1.00. You'll never make it up I think with solar since when I did my calcs, I used like 3x more power during peak periods.

Reactions: h2ofun
Assuming it's $1/kWh,

NEM 3.0 will buy say, peak power at $0.25, but when you need it on a cloudy day, it's $1.00. Every region is different, but that's the general gist as I understand it.

In San Diego, it's more like you export at $0.13 and you buy at $1.00. You'll never make it up I think with solar since when I did my calcs, I used like 3x more power during peak periods.
So it is more like the latter? Average of 25 cents to each dollar compared to NEM 2.0

So it is more like the latter? Average of 25 cents to each dollar compared to NEM 2.0

Yes. I seriously think after all the job losses in 2024 (some place predicted 40%, I'd guess more since people will hold out going solar to see if a better deal shows up or if the law is changed like NV), perhaps a more gradual path.

This would not be a good look for Newsom if he has presidential aspirations.

So NEM3 is locked for 9 years. What happens after 9 years?
The 9 year period is a lock on your compensation rate for exports, you can opt out early if you want to, and then the rate is adjusted on a yearly basis IIRC.

The rate is a time-of-day and season/monthly/daily(?) based, so I'm really interested in seeing how this is communicated plus how this handled between the IOU (transmission+distribution) and CCA (generation) components.

• Helpful
Reactions: getakey
I fully expect that the unbundled rates you will see for CCA customers will show PG&E charging you to take your solar during high noon and the CCA paying you for your generation, for a small net compensation. Earlier in the morning and later in the afternoon, compensation will be higher.

Question for you guys: I first installed a 20 panel system 4.5 years ago and then added 10 more panels 1 year later. At the time, the installer did not file any paperwork with PG&E for the upgrade (long story). I have a dedicated meter for my solar production so PG&E knows exactly what I produce and have not raised any questions. If I sell my house, what do you think the risk is that PG&E might find out and convert new owner to NEM3?

Question for you guys: I first installed a 20 panel system 4.5 years ago and then added 10 more panels 1 year later. At the time, the installer did not file any paperwork with PG&E for the upgrade (long story). I have a dedicated meter for my solar production so PG&E knows exactly what I produce and have not raised any questions. If I sell my house, what do you think the risk is that PG&E might find out and convert new owner to NEM3?
Real estate disclosure in California is very strict now. Given that you know that PG&E has wrong data about your solar, you should disclose that to a potential buyer. Do you want to be in that situation? I would not. Therefore, you should file your own interconnection application with the original contract and building inspection as proof of timeline and get everything corrected in PG&E’s records before the Net Billing Tariff takes effect.

Real estate disclosure in California is very strict now. Given that you know that PG&E has wrong data about your solar, you should disclose that to a potential buyer. Do you want to be in that situation? I would not. Therefore, you should file your own interconnection application with the original contract and building inspection as proof of timeline and get everything corrected in PG&E’s records before the Net Billing Tariff takes effect.
thanks
good input

Also if you have not filed, your max export is limited to only what they have approved. You have never gone over? I know I did one month HUGE until I got it resolved