Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard today that as long as you get your COMPLETE and accurate interconnection application in before the drop dead date (june 9 assumed) that you will be under NEM 2.0
If I do that by adding more solar and convert my NEM 1 system to NEM 2, does the clock reset and I get 15 years of NEM 2 starting from the new PTO? I would hate to do that and have them still use my NEM 1 PTO date to kick me to NEM 3.

If you add more than 10% or 1 kw of PV then your new installation and new PTO date determine the 15 or 20 year timeframe.
This PG&E FAQ says differently (click on WHAT IF I MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO MY NEM1 SYSTEM?)

It says at the end "if the entire system takes service under the NEM2 program, it will be grandfathered under the NEM2 program beginning from the date of the issuance of the NEM1 PTO."

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder and Vines
This PG&E FAQ says differently (click on WHAT IF I MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO MY NEM1 SYSTEM?)

It says at the end "if the entire system takes service under the NEM2 program, it will be grandfathered under the NEM2 program beginning from the date of the issuance of the NEM1 PTO."

Cheers, Wayne
<sarc> That sounds more like the PG&E we all know and love. </sarc>

from the ad:

“A flaw in state law is forcing Californians who can’t afford rooftop solar to subsidize wealthier homeowners who can,” said a Facebook ad. “Seniors and families struggling pay hundreds more each year in higher energy bills. Fix this unfair cost shift.”

That ad is from Fix The Cost Shift - I'll give you three guesses where their money comes from

from the ad:

“A flaw in state law is forcing Californians who can’t afford rooftop solar to subsidize wealthier homeowners who can,” said a Facebook ad. “Seniors and families struggling pay hundreds more each year in higher energy bills. Fix this unfair cost shift.”

Haha, do these seniors actually expect their bills to go down once the "cost shift" is addressed? Idiots.

• Funny
Reactions: sunwarriors

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for pointing that out, this was what I was told but I may have misunderstood or my source may be incorrect.

Haha, do these seniors actually expect their bills to go down once the "cost shift" is addressed? Idiots.
The funny thing is that as per the cost shift analysis posted upthread, the current "cost shift" is actually largely from the (presumably poorer) people that have smaller homes to the (presumably richer) people that have larger homes and higher energy demand. Then add in CARE/FERA which also shifts costs to the rich. If CPUC removes all cost shifts, poor people will actually pay more, but that obviously isn't going to be mentioned, as it doesn't aid in the class warfare argument they are trying to make.

There is a way to address this without increasing bills, which is by having a fixed monthly charge, and removing the fixed portion from the consumption based portion. But the way the utilities do things, most likely they would just tack on a fixed monthly charge, without an equivalent decrease on the portion that varies on consumption, which means higher bills (just like they are trying to do with solar owners right now).

Cheers, Wayne
I was under NEM1 (system installed in 2009) and upgraded my system to NEM2. I called the PG&E solar department. The representative said that my system is under NEM2 for 20 years starting 11-27-20 (the date I got PTO for my upgraded system). I explained to her that I had upgraded my system but she said I got reset when I got the new PTO. I wonder how we get to the bottom of this.

I explained to her that I had upgraded my system but she said I got reset when I got the new PTO. I wonder how we get to the bottom of this.

If that PG&E doc above is legit, I'd be wary of what customer service reps answer since their answer could be wrong...I always thought it did reset your time period myself. Maybe it's because most people have 2 systems normally?

Last edited:
I can't really do that because I took the ITC on my Powerwalls which requires that I charge from on-site solar for at least the first 5 years.

I meant by "take your solar off grid" to just mean you pull the solar breakers out of your generation panel or something. Tell PG&E that you're sick of being a rich solar person and not paying your fair share. You really want PG&E's pension to be well funded since they work so hard. So you're going to undo your NEM 1.0 because you want to pay your fair share of fixed costs.

But you don't have enough money to actually remove your solar panels so you just pulled the breaker and your Powerwalls will just sit there all sad-like only to be used for stormwatches.

Of course there's nothing to say you won't change your mind in a few months and sign back up under NEM 2.0...

I was under NEM1 (system installed in 2009) and upgraded my system to NEM2. I called the PG&E solar department. The representative said that my system is under NEM2 for 20 years starting 11-27-20 (the date I got PTO for my upgraded system). I explained to her that I had upgraded my system but she said I got reset when I got the new PTO. I wonder how we get to the bottom of this.
Is there any paper or contract that references that new date and 20 years (or equivalently an expiration date)? What does your interconnection agreement say (presumably you got a new one when you upgraded to NEM2)? For myself, unfortunately I don't have a copy of one, given I bought my house with the system installed already (it was installed in 2015), and previous owner didn't provide me with a copy of their original agreement with PG&E. I was automatically put back on NEM1 when I signed up for PG&E, and I bought the house after NEM2 was already in effect, so presumably PG&E has in their system saved somewhere the effective NEM1 start date (which may be what they use to bite you in the future).

Yeah, being microinverters, figured two wires are just 240VAC. So the proprietary 4-wire cable just junctions into regular AC wiring somewhere near the panels, I guess? But practically speaking, the old installer is not willing to make a hybrid system, rather than running new conduit all the way. And new installer likely won't touch the old system, let alone what that might do to the original warranties to modify the system that way. So I guess DIY is the way.
I'll do the install and it will just be another system.

If that PG&E doc above is legit, I'd be wary of what customer service reps answer since their answer could be wrong...I always thought it did reset your time period myself. Maybe it's because most people have 2 systems normally?
I called PG&E back. They have a field in their system where it says my NEM2 will expire. They told me it says 2040 however they can't send me anything in writing (frustrating). What concerns me about this is that is I got PTO for my Powerwalls in 2020 and PTO for my solar upgrade in 2019 but I thought adding paired storage doesn't impact your NEM status. What is apparent is that everyone there (she talked to other representatives and her manager) thinks the NEM status gets reset when you upgrade your solar system. She referred me to page 4 of this document to substantiate it but it still isn't clear to me:

"Provides that customer-generators may continue to take service under the NEM successor tariff established by this decision for 20 years from the year of interconnection of the customer’s system;"