Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any paper or contract that references that new date and 20 years (or equivalently an expiration date)? What does your interconnection agreement say (presumably you got a new one when you upgraded to NEM2)? For myself, unfortunately I don't have a copy of one, given I bought my house with the system installed already (it was installed in 2015), and previous owner didn't provide me with a copy of their original agreement with PG&E. I was automatically put back on NEM1 when I signed up for PG&E, and I bought the house after NEM2 was already in effect, so presumably PG&E has in their system saved somewhere the effective NEM1 start date (which may be what they use to bite you in the future).
I reviewed my interconnection emails from PG&E (both from the solar PTO update and the Powerwall update) and there is no NEM expiration date nor mention of 20 years.

That's great. If it's less than 1.0 kW CEC-AC then I can stay on NEM 1. Doing anything larger would push me to NEM 2 and if it resets the clock for another 15-20 years, then it's worth doing.
What does NEM 2 even mean without an agreement in writing from PG&E to not discontinue your rate plan and replace it with something that has even worse peak hours for solar customers? I wouldn't install solar without such an agreement from PG&E. I'd accept an agreement that says they can raise the rates within my existing plan but the ratio of peak rate to off-peak rate must remain constant. If 1 kWh sold during mid day is equivalent to 0.7 kWh consumed during peak hours for example, then this should not change for the entire duration of the contract.

I called PG&E back. They have a field in their system where it says my NEM2 will expire. They told me it says 2040 however they can't send me anything in writing (frustrating). What concerns me about this is that is I got PTO for my Powerwalls in 2020 and PTO for my solar upgrade in 2019 but I thought adding paired storage doesn't impact your NEM status. What is apparent is that everyone there (she talked to other representatives and her manager) thinks the NEM status gets reset when you upgrade your solar system. She referred me to page 4 of this document to substantiate it but it still isn't clear to me:

"Provides that customer-generators may continue to take service under the NEM successor tariff established by this decision for 20 years from the year of interconnection of the customer’s system;"
That's interesting. Regardless of what the website says for official policy, from my dealings with PG&E in projects, sometimes their people make mistakes when entering data into the system after project completion. So it's entirely possible whoever did it for either of your projects had the same interpretation: that what that line meant for "the year of interconnection" is the year of the given interconnection agreement they are entering data for (which would be 2020 it seems) and thus they just add 20 years to that, resulting in 2040 for the expiration year. That line does not make it clear it's talking about the original interconnection year under NEM1 or the predecessor tariff. If there was no internal guideline to their workers on this, it's possible those people are all under that impression.

If the billing software goes off the expiration year field in their system (and is not something smarter that queries previous agreement dates), then automatically you will be able to continue on NEM2. But that's just speculation. The whole change to 15 years might throw a monkey wrench on this however. If all PG&E does is take 5 years off the expiration year, then you might be safe. If they start digging back to look for agreement dates, then things might be different.

It would be great if there is somewhere on the bill or on their website where customers can get an official reference for the NEM expiration date, but I guess that is asking for too much.

That's interesting. Regardless of what the website says for official policy, from my dealings with PG&E in projects, sometimes their people make mistakes when entering data into the system after project completion. So it's entirely possible whoever did it for either of your projects had the same interpretation: that what that line meant for "the year of interconnection" is the the year of the given interconnection agreement they are entering data for (which would be 2020 it seems) and thus they just add 20 years to that, resulting in 2040 for the expiration year. That line does not make it clear it's talking about the original interconnection year under NEM1 or the predecessor tariff. If there was no internal guideline to their workers on this, it's possible those people are all under that impression.

If the billing software goes off the expiration year field in their system (and is not something smarter that queries previous agreement dates), then automatically you will be able to continue on NEM2. But that's just speculation.

It would be great if there is somewhere on the bill or on their website where customers can get an official reference for the NEM expiration date, but I guess that is asking for too much.
If someone installed solar under NEM 1 in 2002 and then installed more solar in 2021 then that would mean they would have 1 year of grandfathering before being transitioned to NEM 3 in 2022 (assuming the 20 years goes off the original interconnection date). If true, some people are going to be very unhappy.

Last edited:
If someone installed solar under NEM 1 in 2002 and then installed more solar in 2021 then that would mean they would 1 year of grandfathering before being transitioned to NEM 3 in 2022 (assuming the 20 years goes off the original interconnection date). If true, some people are going to be very unhappy.
Yep. But many people may be blissfully unaware of this however. Personally myself, I was only alerted because Tesla sent me an email about it.
By the time they find out after the fact, it would be too late already. I'm not holding out too much hope that if NEM3 passes, that there is a decent chance of reversing it, so I did my part in submitting my public comments and messages to hopefully stop it from passing in the first place (at minimum not in its current form).
From the latest news it seems to be delayed, but it seems like CPUC may be trying to get it passed quietly when some of the attention has died down (or perhaps waiting for some of the class warfare ads to start taking effect).

I guess Florida's utility is trying to do exactly the same as NEM 3.0 in their state, cut credits for power sent to the grid as well as charge additional monthly fees, using the same arguments that solar owners are wealthy and not paying their "fair share" of maintenance of the grid:

Could Florida turn off the sun? Advocates say a utility-backed bill imperils rooftop solar in the Sunshine State

Though interestingly and different from California, solar installed base is tiny, it says 90,000 households presently. And half of new installs are to households with <$100K income now, so hardly wealthy.

Article also warns of the lessons from Nevada's 2015-2017 period when they killed NEM.

As usual this title is a bit over the top ...

I wouldn't say "off the table", I think it is just going through the normal "Comment period", "Reply comment period", "Edit Proposed Decision document with changes", and then "Vote out Final Document". The CPUC has voting meetings every two weeks, so as soon as they get done editing the PD and turn it into a FD, it will be released and voted out...My educated guess? Late February's meeting...

When was this bill? My most recent bill to 31 Oct
tier 1 $1.88139 per therm
tier 2 $2.36363 per therm
and from 1 Nov to 16 Nov I had tier 1 at $2.01237
with total of 21 therms.
Radiant heat is on right now and have lots of Tylenol on hand for next bill. :eek: :D

Tier 2 Therms are now $2.56 per. My gas bill was over $400 last month. Ughhhhh.

Lol nice. So do you feel like you're paying the fair share of that grid even though you have solar under NEM 1.0 or NEM 2.0? Some people (person?) here think you should have been paying way more last month heh.
I’m happy to pay a consistent system-wide flat access fee and have my rate structure and true up period reflect my true grid impact.

Hoping for a bigger change in the proposal but preparing for the worse outcome.

Reactions: RKCRLR
I’m happy to pay a consistent system-wide flat access fee and have my rate structure and true up period reflect my true grid impact.

Hoping for a bigger change in the proposal but preparing for the worse outcome.

I don't expect much change... the CPUC and the IOUs are masters of talking out both sides of their mouth. So ultimately they can blame rate payers for failing to behave property.

Like here's the CPUC website showing some people cooking on an electric cooktop.
1643050689020.png

But the same CPUC has encouraged PG&E, SCE, etc to tell homeowners one of the reasons their energy bills are so high is because they are cooking hot meals for dinner. To the extent that if you ask PG&E for an explanation of your high energy costs, they'll advise you to:
1643050777669.png

So which is it? You should cook your meals or not?

I am very disappointed that people think the "problem" is people with solar on their roofs. The problem is the utilities and their regulator are garbage. They encourage wasteful sky high costs that ultimately need to be paid for by everybody. Well, unless they choose not to cook hot meals and choose to turn off their televisions.

1643050969656.png

I'm all heat pump and my electric bill was over $400 last month. When you can't win, you lose.

I've started the process to add solar and two more PWs to my installation.
My electric bill was 450 net. I have no gas. But since I had 3000 worth of credits, I still have 2500 worth of credits. True up in April. Love the house at 74 degrees upstairs. Guess I will be getting back the .03kw. :) I LOVE have my house super warm in the winter, and super cool in the summer, and ZERO PGE bill. Now, if I can just get EV charging in, I can give my friends FREE charging.

Reactions: ohmman and dailo