Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hand it over to the utilities for their genius play on the woke movement. I've read quite a few articles from various publications and they all repeat the same story that NEM2 is a hand out to the rich, and that NEM 3 will even out the inequity by taxing the crap of rich folks with solar to allow low income folks to get solar on their roof. Now, other utilities around the country are using the same playbook. We could see the end of residential solar in this country, at least for a while.

I fully expect NEM3 to go through as is. It'll be interesting to see what happens in a year or two when reports come out showing how tens of thousand of jobs and residential solar disappear.

I found this on a quick search about income levels of solar install owners:

It's certainly not as high as it used to be so playing the class warfare card has always been untrue and a mistake I feel. As I've mentioned before, I never felt the "rich" people were taking advantage of me when I never had solar for the past 10+ years we've been in our home. I missed out on NEM1.0 and just got installed late last year.

I've always felt it's the power companies and with inflation everywhere, it's not like having no solar would've made our power bills that much cheaper honestly. I think if solar didn't exist, it would have changed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with our power prices.

It almost seems like our whole world is setup to get people to be against everyone else in our society across all things so crooks/criminals/CPUC can swindle everyone blind. Lie long enough to a certain part of the population and people may/will start believing it.

We all know the solar terms maybe too generous, but NEM3.0 will kill solar in CA.

I think the good thing, if there was one is it'll kill the thousands of jobs tied to solar and once that happens, which is VERY visible like in HI, NV, politicians will be blamed and so with the CPUC.

Haha article is worth a read… although I feel like the editor/opinion piece could actually hate PG&E more.

He’s totally ignoring how PG&E wants to discourage people to convert to electric heating with solar under NEM 3.

He’s ignoring the recent NG rate proposal to increase billed costs around 11% for things not related to the market cost of dinosaur farts; and likely a total of 45% by 2026.

He’s ignoring how PG&E worked against proposals for a successor to the Energy Upgrade California program to help homeowners afford smart/efficient improvements.

Haha article is worth a read… although I feel like the editor/opinion piece could actually hate PG&E more.

He’s totally ignoring how PG&E wants to discourage people to convert to electric heating with solar under NEM 3.

He’s ignoring the recent NG rate proposal to increase billed costs around 11% for things not related to the market cost of dinosaur farts; and likely a total of 45% by 2026.

He’s ignoring how PG&E worked against proposals for a successor to the Energy Upgrade California program to help homeowners afford smart/efficient improvements.
agree. Not really that good of an article

The article says 70 therms a day is the PG&E average, that should be 70 therms a month. The baseline amount varies by region same by the month. My December baseline was 2.16 therms/day or 64.8 therms for my 30 day billing cycle. I luckily only used 41.

Why do people not insulate their house?

It’s expensive man. People say they can’t even afford to live in their house if they were to pay the same market rate for property insurance as a new home buyer. Who has the $$$ to pull out sheet rock and put in new insulation?

The energy upgrade California initiative that was around a few years ago to help people do this was killed off by the IOU’s.

Reactions: charlesj
It’s expensive man. People say they can’t even afford to live in their house if they were to pay the same market rate for property insurance as a new home buyer. Who has the $$$ to pull out sheet rock and put in new insulation?

The energy upgrade California initiative that was around a few years ago to help people do this was killed off by the IOU’s.
One can always blow some in walls and patch holes. I chose to pull the sheet rock and do it myself overtime. Makes a huge difference for both heating and cooling.

One can always blow some in walls and patch holes. I chose to pull the sheet rock and do it myself overtime. Makes a huge difference for both heating and cooling.

Easier said than done. I was quoted $10k to do my house in 2019 (pre covid) for R-19 in the walls… so that’s what. $20k now?

That Energy Upgrade California program was designed for this. IOU’s killed it (in a bad way).

Reactions: Zorg
What would you estimate the R rating to be when you opened up the walls and what did you replace it with?
When was your home built?

Mine was built around 2005 and I think they did the bare minimum to code at the time. My AC units are super inefficient but they still run.
The exterior doors seal poorly and I'm trying to get around to chasing leaks this year. I think if I did one of those pressure tests it would be horrible.
I have a few dual pane windows that have lost seal (condensation in between panes certain times of year.

I don't have room for any more panels so I have to do things to lower my usage. My 105% "estimated" system has produced below estimates both years.

What would you estimate the R rating to be when you opened up the walls and what did you replace it with?

Mine was built around 2005 and I think they did the bare minimum to code at the time. My AC units are super inefficient but they still run.
The exterior doors seal poorly and I'm trying to get around to chasing leaks this year. I think if I did one of those pressure tests it would be horrible.
I have a few dual pane windows that have lost seal (condensation in between panes certain times of year.

I don't have room for any more panels so I have to do things to lower my usage. My 105% "estimated" system has produced below estimates both years.

It’s too bad you couldn’t use that energy upgrade California (EUC) program I linked above. You’re basically the target for that program; but the IOU’s killed EUC because they thought it only benefited rich fat cats that owned their own homes and had an equity problem.

Back on the topic of NEM, the California Building Industries Association is concerned about now NEM 3 screws over new homes that by law need to have solar under the new Title 24 rules.

They want the CPUC to allow the new homes to participate in community solar programs instead of plopping the solar on the house behind the meter. So the builder would simply require the new development to invest in some community solar array and assign the NEM generation credit(s) to the new housing start. But of course they don’t want the community solar to pay the fixed costs fee.

I’m sure the IOU’s would welcome this if they become the implementers of the community solar project.

So while the house couldn’t use the energy behind the meter, it avoids the $100/month BS fee.

My house was built in 1972, without any insulation in the walls. We put R19 in the walls (2×4 studs). I upgraded the furnace to a 2 stage 90% efficiency 2 years ago. 2500' home in the bay area set at 70 degrees every day. Last 2 months my gas bill averaged $140 a month. All windows are dual pane.

I have a tesla solar roof install scheduled from 1/31/22-2/08/22. For some reason, I just became aware of this NEM 3.0 recently and trying to catch up and fully understand the impact to my situation. I think as long as I am grandfathered into NEM 2.0, I would continue with the purchase. If I had to be forced into NEM 3.0, I would likely just cancel my order. I talked with my Tesla account advisor today and he said as currently proposed, I would be grandfathered into NEM 2.0 as long as it is installed and inspected by the current proposed deadline date (1/27 plus 120 days). He didn't think it would be based on the PTO date, which Im not sure SCE would be able able to approve before the May 2022 deadline as proposed. Do you guys think my Tesla advisor is correct? Thanks for advice.

I have a tesla solar roof install scheduled from 1/31/22-2/08/22. For some reason, I just became aware of this NEM 3.0 recently and trying to catch up and fully understand the impact to my situation. I think as long as I am grandfathered into NEM 2.0, I would continue with the purchase. If I had to be forced into NEM 3.0, I would likely just cancel my order. I talked with my Tesla account advisor today and he said as currently proposed, I would be grandfathered into NEM 2.0 as long as it is installed and inspected by the current proposed deadline date (1/27 plus 120 days). He didn't think it would be based on the PTO date, which Im not sure SCE would be able able to approve before the May 2022 deadline as proposed. Do you guys think my Tesla advisor is correct? Thanks for advice.
I don't know the answer, but your reaction is exactly what's going to happen once this passes. Residential solar is going to stop completely in CA.

This all depends on how quickly Tesla files your interconnection paperwork. They have been notoriously late in the past. You are correct to be concerned.

This all depends on how quickly Tesla files your interconnection paperwork. They have been notoriously late in the past. You are correct to be concerned.
If it's time critical, and Tesla is slow, it is possible to file your own interconnection application with PG&E (I did it when I was one of the few homeowner-developers under the SGIP program 3 years ago). If you have the Tesla design documents or a copy of your permit design documents, I think that would have all the information required.

Cheers, Wayne

Some more back up Zabe's the IOU's position that that the solar market is "cratered"; blaming residential rooftop is total crap. There was some sentiment that California needed a curtailment of future residential rooftop solar and massive fees collected to offset the "destroyed" solar market.

The CPUC has mandated an additional 11,500 MW of renewables (which likely will be mostly solar) to be constructed over the next 4 years. This is meant to offset the decommissioning of Diablo Canyon and also replace some natural gas electricity generation. 11,500 MW is roughly equivalent to the amount of residential rooftop solar right now.

So to re-iterate the situation... the IOUs say solar is only worth $0.03 to $0.05 per kWh at noontime on the Avoided Cost Calculator because there is a monster surplus of solar already (mostly from utility grade sources that have really expensive PPAs from legacy contracts). So, more solar generation without storage is worthless. NEM 3.0 was written to dissuade homeowners from adding solar-only.

But the NEM 3.0 "disincentive" for residential solar-only persists even if the homeowner adds batteries. It's not like the fixed costs get reduced with ESS. So the NEM 3.0 rules effectively stop all residential solar and makes it so the CPUC and their cronies are the only ones to build future solar and ESS. The solar market isn't "cratered" at all.

On the one hand... the CPUC wants their cronies to submit proposals (RFP's) on creating 11,500 MW (with no massive fixed costs fees to be seen). This will result in billions of profits for those agencies and companies to profit off of the future PPAs and energy rights.

On the other hand... the CPUC tells California homeowners they robbed billions from the poor.

Hey, guess what. Who is going to pay for the 11,500 MW that the CPUC is asking for now? It's going to be the poor people that the IOUs said they were "protecting". The RFP's will all require more PPAs and guaranteed revenue to rationalize the investment. And, if there are more centralized solar/ESS generation sites, guess what PG&E needs? More massive rate increases to fund transmission infrastructure across the scorched California landscape.

Poor people's bills aren't going down if NEM 3.0 passes and collects billions from homeowners with solar on their roofs. Everything is going up; including PG&E's profit amount since they are guaranteed a profit % on all investment that goes through them and their cronies. The CPUC enables it because their rule-makers are all interconnected with this cronyism.

Rooftop residential with ESS means less transmission costs since it is distributed where people use the electricity. Those poor people the IOU's want to claim to "protect" are going to see higher bills as the poor, rich, everyone gets forced to pay for things they wouldn't need if we had more residential solar+ESS.

Here's R2005003 which describes the RFP process of the 11,500 MW

Some CCAs are already submitting their RFP's... basically putting their generation credits in play to lock in sources so they can in turn pass the buck over to the rate payers. The people winning are the big cronies. Jane Doe homeowners are going to be paying for all of this.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer, but your reaction is exactly what's going to happen once this passes. Residential solar is going to stop completely in CA.
Based on my limited understanding of NEM 3.0, Its really not what I signed up for In april of 2021. I have weathered through the questionable customer service, lack of communication, price increase, various price revisions, back to honoring original contract, and finally have an install date. This NEM 3.0 is nail in coffin(not blaming Tesla) that will kill my project. The numbers just don't make sense to me.

If it's time critical, and Tesla is slow, it is possible to file your own interconnection application with PG&E (I did it when I was one of the few homeowner-developers under the SGIP program 3 years ago). If you have the Tesla design documents or a copy of your permit design documents, I think that would have all the information required.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for suggestion. Is the interconnection application usually filed after installation and inspection?