Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what's the over under on NEM3 being revamped seriously? Slapping the $8/KW with the solar tax moniker should kill that proposal. I wished that the CPUC would use the NEM3 as a way to revamp how electricity is priced. Give everyone a monthly grid fixed fee (say $30 a month) and lower the volumetric price to equalize things out. That would be a great start.

Lol the IOU’s must love articles like this. Now here’s a fellow paying their fair share.

I’m sure when he called to ask about his bill, they told him to eat cold cuts for dinner. They probably also told him it’s the fault of solar households. But it’s not like his bill is going down after NEM 3.0.

I don’t know why you all don’t get more upset about how the utilities screw everybody. Telling people to not heat their homes or stop watching TV is straight up trash. But I feel like most people in California don’t give AF.

Lol the IOU’s must love articles like this. Now here’s a fellow paying their fair share.

I’m sure when he called to ask about his bill, they told him to eat cold cuts for dinner. They probably also told him it’s the fault of solar households. But it’s not like his bill is going down after NEM 3.0.

I don’t know why you all don’t get more upset about how the utilities screw everybody. Telling people to not heat their homes or stop watching TV is straight up trash. But I feel like most people in California don’t give AF.
The funniest part of that article is the last sentence.
utility has also spent a lot of money on programs like a $3 billion wildlife mitigation effort.
99% sure that should be wildfire mitigation.

The second funniest part is where the guy saying SDG&E in small claims court and has 5 years of bills in a spreadsheet says
I have both gas and electric — mostly, I guess, I use electric —
I can understand his frustration, but he really should have had someone at least walk him through his billing history so he at least had some facts to present first before it gets dismissed

Does anyone know if there is a comment period for the new proposal? I just see that there is a vote in February now, but what are they voting on? Can they just barely change anything and vote it through?
If you want to do a spoken comment, the instructions are here. But you are limited to only 1 minute so you must practice (and time yourself), and it must be done on that day and at the specified time.
Instructions for Speaking at the CPUC Public Meeting - Engage Tesla
Or on top of the page currently for Tesla's article dedicated to this (you can see the previous actions also):
California — Stop the Solar Tax

If you wanted to submit a written comment on the order itself, you can do it here, but it seems Tesla is no longer asking people to do that (perhaps they assume enough had done that already):
Proceeding Details

The funniest part of that article is the last sentence.

99% sure that should be wildfire mitigation.

The second funniest part is where the guy saying SDG&E in small claims court and has 5 years of bills in a spreadsheet says

I can understand his frustration, but he really should have had someone at least walk him through his billing history so he at least had some facts to present first before it gets dismissed

Yeah I empathize with this guy though. For fun you should call PG&E and ask how your energy and NG bills are so high.

The first thing they’ll blame is commodity prices.

The next thing they blame is the energy user. Like they’ll tell folks heating and cooling are luxuries. They will say that you should set your thermostat to the lowest or highest point you could tolerate. So in the winter that’s the high 50’s for heat and in the summer it’s 80F or more in the summer.

Then they’ll blame folks for watching TV with the lights on, leaving your cable modem on overnight, or letting kids play video games too much.

No joke, there was an article I posted in the past about some woman who was told to use a lantern to light her bathroom when she went weee.

The poor people the IOU’s claim they care about never get a straight answer when they have issues about energy bills. These folks are on fixed income and don’t have fancy energy monitors or API’s to access like @bmah . They are in the most need for help and answers… and the IOU’s want them to hate solar customers instead of providing real aid. This guy is so hung up he wants to sue because he can’t get any good info.

And now I’m sure this guy things some home with solar is to blame. If the NEM 3.0 PD also resulted in this guys’d energy bill going down by 25%, then maybe I’d believe in this BS cost shift argument. Or maybe they’ll use some of those solar fixed costs to send an energy consultant to peoples homes and help them identify possible energy consumption patterns.

But you know this guys bill will only go up. He’ll get no help.

the ads are sickening. Seniors, Poor people, paying for rich Solar
The funny thing if this proposal passes, I bet the electricity bills for "poor people" won't be lowered a single penny as a result, even ignoring the fact that it'll make a lot of people give up home solar interconnections (and thus they never collect the fix fees they planned to). The utilities will just directly pocket the fixed fee from the ones they can collect from, and continue on charging high electricity rates for the rest of the rate payers.

Unless in the proposal it explicitly offers a $200 direct bill discount (or an equivalent a guaranteed per kWh credit) for every non-solar rate payer as part of it, that argument is complete BS.

I also have little optimism things would be different if CPUC passes a fixed fee overall for all rate payers. Most likely what happens is the fee will be added on top, and there would be practically no discount on the usage based portion.

What percent of utility customers are currently on NEM? I thought NEM2 came about because the original NEM had reached its maximum of 5%.
It just seems strange that what I'm assuming is a relatively small percentage of customers can cause so much of an issue that reducing the 20 year grandfathering to 15 years will have a large reduction rates for non NEM customers. However, for the individual, a 5 year reduction is a big deal.

I got some more evidence that if you upgrade a system that the 20 year grandfathering goes off the first install date and not the upgrade date.
I did my original install in 2009 and then upgraded in 2019. This means my 20 year period will end in 2029. I'll about break even on my upgrade ROI then.
If NEM3 goes through as written then my grandfathering will expire in 2024. I would be better off if I didn't upgrade my 4kW system to an ~10kW system under the proposed changes.

Holy cow, I'm behind the latest increase. Peak is now $.598/kWh. They are paying me a lot of $$

Since I’m on MCE I get $0.10 per kWh at peak for the exported energy. The remaining $0.49 is PG&E’s grid. o_O

I wonder if in the future PG&E will charge Tesla VPP participants like @bmah a $8 per kW per month for exporting ESS energy to the grid and grid charging for storm watch. And drop their VPP export compensation to the ACC rate.

ESS is Putting stress on the grid sometimes. Better pay a fair share.

Last edited:
I guess I should have said a smaller increase in rates for non NEM customers.

The general rate cases never break up the payers between NEM and non-NEM. They only split up non/CARE.

Everybody’s rates will go up the same even if they collect monster fixed cost fees since the IOU’s won’t intelligently use the collected fixed costs to improve operational efficiency. They’ll just waste the money on more stupid stuff and collect their 10.25% ROE.

Everybody’s rates are going up a ton no matter what happens.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
The general rate cases never break up the payers between NEM and non-NEM. They only split up non/CARE.

Everybody’s rates will go up the same even if they collect monster fixed cost fees since the IOU’s won’t intelligently use the collected fixed costs to improve operational efficiency. They’ll just waste the money on more stupid stuff and collect their 10.25% ROE.

Everybody’s rates are going up a ton no matter what happens.
I understand, I was just using the term non NEM because those are the customers that the utilities are saying are being impacted by NEM customers.