Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Higher and higher energy prices is incentive enough. For low energy users, there is no reason to get solar at all (I have wealthy neighbors with like ~$100/month bills).

Look at gas prices now hitting $110+/barrel. It was ~$66 3 months ago. If Russia cuts off supply, expect $150+? EV owners saving probably $100/fill up (assuming someone still has a fairly long commute). Nothing like saving $$ as an incentive to go green.

Higher and higher energy prices is incentive enough. For low energy users, there is no reason to get solar at all (I have wealthy neighbors with like ~$100/month bills).

Look at gas prices now hitting $110+/barrel. It was ~$66 3 months ago. If Russia cuts off supply, expect $150+? EV owners saving probably $100/fill up (assuming someone still has a fairly long commute). Nothing like saving $$ as an incentive to go green.
Yep, depends on how much you drive. EV's are NOT cheap, and most are just tiny cars

i don't have experience with "most" ev's but my model 3 fits freaks well over 6' as well as the uhm horizontally challenged 😝

My neighbor is 6' 5" and he drives a Chevy Volt just fine while also being a bit on the horizontal side. I think H2ofun has some wacky bias that EVs are all Leafs and Bolts. Once he installs all those EV chargers and gets penalized under NEM 3.0 to export energy, we can all drive our big well-leg-roomed EVs to his house for charging.

My neighbor is 6' 5" and he drives a Chevy Volt just fine while also being a bit on the horizontal side. I think H2ofun has some wacky bias that EVs are all Leafs and Bolts. Once he installs all those EV chargers and gets penalized under NEM 3.0 to export energy, we can all drive our big well-leg-roomed EVs to his house for charging.
I drive a mini van, and nothing else. A leaf and bolt are for tiny people. :)

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I drive a mini van, and nothing else. A leaf and bolt are for tiny people. :)

Hey ya'll, I found a picture of his minivan.

1646261883868.png

Did you call those numbers to get an update about NEM 3.0?

• Funny
Reactions: sunwarriors

Well, didn't we have higher oil prices some years ago? We are here, we survived and flourished.

Dunno if you all saw this, but there's a proceeding with the CPUC to address the high energy prices in general.

It's just brainstorming now; but it's still interesting they aren't throwing solar-fat-cats under the bus (yet).

Also, an interesting set of possible solutions from the NRDC (yes, the same ones that were accused of being pro-utility):
  • Lowering utility profit rates on capital projects (ROE) to 7% could result in a 5% reduction in electricity rates.
  • Making taxpayers pay for low-income assistance programs (Public Purpose Programs) could result in a 7% electricity rate reduction. (SDG&E estimates a 6% reduction in its area).
  • Public ownership of transmission lines results in an estimated 4% rate reduction.
  • Charging all utility customers a fixed, $20-per-month charge results in an estimated 13% reduction in electric rates.

Dunno if you all saw this, but there's a proceeding with the CPUC to address the high energy prices in general.

It's just brainstorming now; but it's still interesting they aren't throwing solar-fat-cats under the bus (yet).

Also, an interesting set of possible solutions from the NRDC (yes, the same ones that were accused of being pro-utility):
  • Lowering utility profit rates on capital projects (ROE) to 7% could result in a 5% reduction in electricity rates.
  • Making taxpayers pay for low-income assistance programs (Public Purpose Programs) could result in a 7% electricity rate reduction. (SDG&E estimates a 6% reduction in its area).
  • Public ownership of transmission lines results in an estimated 4% rate reduction.
  • Charging all utility customers a fixed, $20-per-month charge results in an estimated 13% reduction in electric rates.
Other than the first one, these would still have the public be carrying the bag. NRDC even during the solar fight, have always held a middling position in terms of actual policy recommendations, something they use to say they are not utility shills (while being the only major environmental group defending/presenting the core points of the utility position, namely the fixed fee, much lower NEM payments and the point about solar users impacting poorer families).
The last point sticks out to me, given that type of thing was what solar advocates has argued would be the thing to do if CPUC really was concerned about cost shift (not just target solar users only).

I just wish policymakers would take on these IOUs like normal businesses. Every person that works for the utilities knows how inefficient they are. They joke about how they're just there for a pension and job security.

How they have processes and procedures meant to ensure the least amount of progress for the most amount of money they can spend. So instead of actually delivering a well functioning machine, they deliver business plans to demand higher approved rates This broken mentality makes the IOU itself a huge grift instead of a company that is interested in efficient operations for a modern age.

Normal companies would have bankrupted themselves 10 times over and went through restructuring if they behaved like PG&E. But all PG&E needs to do is raise rates and they keep on killing and grifting.