Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning a large company showing to the upcoming June 2 Rally at the CPUC headquarters. I hope to see lots of people there supporting the renewable power industry.
Don't Tax The Sun Rally!

Here is a blog post about it: CALSSA Blog

It is super clear that an IOU works for nobody other than the IOU executives. I mentioned to my neighbor that the PGE IOU was taking advantage of the rate payers and he went on a huge rant about how much has PG&E stock value has dropped since the fires. It is worth like 20% of what it once was a few years ago.

PGE has some of the highest retail power rates in the nation, the stock is crap, the service is crap, but the executive compensation in 2021 was over $60 million!

The powers that buy labor studies from Universities, blame those rate increases on Solar PV customers. This is just misdirection until you look at your neighbors in SMUD, Palo Alto and Santa Clara. Their power is less than half the cost of yours.

Why else is PGE pumping millions into senate and representative coffers? If they already have a monopoly, what more to gain? They still get to raise your rates rather than pay out of pocket for the wildfire damage. They know that this millions per year keeps the laws and commission like the CPUC well bought.

We are planning a large company showing to the upcoming June 2 Rally at the CPUC headquarters. I hope to see lots of people there supporting the renewable power industry.
Don't Tax The Sun Rally!

It is super clear that an IOU works for nobody other than the IOU executives. I mentioned to my neighbor that the PGE IOU was taking advantage of the rate payers and he went on a huge rant about how much has PG&E stock value has dropped since the fires. It is worth like 20% of what it once was a few years ago.

PGE has some of the highest retail power rates in the nation, the stock is crap, the service is crap, but the executive compensation in 2021 was over $60 million!

The powers that buy labor studies from Universities, blame those rate increases on Solar PV customers. This is just misdirection until you look at your neighbors in SMUD, Palo Alto and Santa Clara. Their power is less than half the cost of yours.

Why else is PGE pumping millions into senate and representative coffers? If they already have a monopoly, what more to gain? They still get to raise your rates rather than pay out of pocket for the wildfire damage. They know that this millions per year keeps the laws and commission like the CPUC well bought.
the CEO herself made $50M last year.

@ohmman & @aesculus Brand & model number? Just looking for recommendations...

Thanks!

BG
I have a Mitsubishi 48k BTU unit outdoors with a SVZ air handler and a MLZ flush-mount ceiling cassette in my living/kitchen. I still have ports available to add a ceiling cassette in our master bedroom, but the kids haven't left home yet and if we're cooling/heating our bedroom, we're heating theirs too. I'll maybe add later.

I've been very happy with the system and the MHK2 thermostats that are internet-connected. I have them tied into my home automation software (Home Assistant) and I'm able to do occupancy heating/cooling, etc.

@ohmman & @aesculus Brand & model number? Just looking for recommendations...

Thanks!

BG
I went with Lennox because I like to pay 2x retail. 🙂

My 4 ton: XP25-048-230 with CBA38MV-048 air handler and a bunch of zoning controllers and thermostats
My 2 ton: SLV25XPV-024-230 with CBA38MV-030 air handler and a single thermostat

The 2 ton is 6 months newer and 0.5 SEER more efficient so I had to have it.

BTW these both took over 6 months to get after order. Typical chip shortage/supply chain issues.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
One tiny addendum above: It appears the latest craze in Lennoxland is to have the air handler 1/2 ton more than the outside unit. You can see that in the 2 ton unit above (24 outside unit and 30 air handler).
Not just Lennoxland. Making the evaporator inside of a larger capacity than the outside unit improves the overall efficiency (HSPF/SEER) of the heat pump and AC. Getting the evaporator too large impairs the airconditioning system from condensing as much water from the air, so the humidity control isn't as good. Not a big issue in most of California, but rather more of an issue in the Midwest and Southeast. Some (many?) companies go a ton or two larger, but of course, it is really about the relative oversize. (0.5/2. is 25%, but 0.5/4 is only 12.5%)

All the best,

BG

Not just Lennoxland. Making the evaporator inside of a larger capacity than the outside unit improves the overall efficiency (HSPF/SEER) of the heat pump and AC. Getting the evaporator too large impairs the airconditioning system from condensing as much water from the air, so the humidity control isn't as good. Not a big issue in most of California, but rather more of an issue in the Midwest and Southeast. Some (many?) companies go a ton or two larger, but of course, it is really about the relative oversize. (0.5/2. is 25%, but 0.5/4 is only 12.5%)

All the best,

BG

Yep, this is an often overlooked element of sizing a system.

If you want to get your real-SEER, you personally need to go to the AHRI website and find the certificate that matches the combination of external condenser/pump, interior air handler, and evaporator coil.

Personally I feel like it should be illegal for HVAC sellers to say "your system is UP TO 20 SEER" but then they sell you a 15 SEER combo to juice their own margins.

Don't Tax The Sun Rally!

Rally is tomorrow… good luck 🍀!

Lol is this @h2ofun wearing one of his minisplits??

1654202601894.png

1654202580488.png

I did the math for heat pump heating at my house and estimate I would need an additional 7-9 MWH of energy to produce the 50 MMBTU that I would need during heating season with a COP of 2-2.5. With PG&E rates it would be almost the same cost as propane, not counting the significant cost to switch from propane furnaces to heat pumps. If I had a bunch of extra solar like H20 it would make sense but I don't.

Reactions: h2ofun