Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, agree there is a payoff on Batteries on NEM2, but it is pretty long which is why I said "no real ROI". If you are thinking of adding batteries for an ROI reason there are better places to put your money. To me the PWs are for backup and any savings I get from arbitrage is gravy. It also depends on your system design. I added PWs to existing solar. My solar was designed to get me close to zero NEM. So although I could theoretically save ~900/year using rate arbitrage, I don't have that "room" on my annual NEM. I was ~$200 before PWs and now I can set PW reserves so I get to zero NEM. Even at $900/year, the ROI for my 3 PWs would be aa long time

BTW, I'm on EVA-1, so my peak is $.60/kWh

Yea, at my current rate of additional savings with powerwalls, it's going to take me 12 years to fully pay back.

IMO, no matter how one spins it, I tell folks batteries are a waste of money, unless one has money to burn.

You mean like the "it's not worth it no matter what spin"? ;)

Even if there wasn't a payback period, it would still not be throwing away money because it's worth it to me have backup power. We have frequent power outages where I live which borders on rural and suburban.

Even if there wasn't a payback period, it would still not be throwing away money because it's worth it to me have backup power. We have frequent power outages where I live which borders on rural and suburban.
I agree. Its not wasted money. I want more than just my food saved. We had a 3 day PSPS before I got PWs which triggered me to buy the PWs. Not good experience especially in the heat of summer

When folks are a 1% er, its easy to buy stuff. My comment is directed at the 99% of folks in society that live pay check to pay check.

Wrong forum. Most people in this forum aren't living paycheck to paycheck. By your reasoning, my X Plaid is also a complete waste of money. I could have bought a 20 year old SUV with a far lower total cost of ownership. That said, I keep my cars for 7 to 10 years. My oldest Prius is 13 years old with 320K miles on it.

Wrong forum. Most people in this forum aren't living paycheck to paycheck. By your reasoning, my X Plaid is also a complete waste of money. I could have bought a 20 year old SUV with a far lower total cost of ownership. That said, I keep my cars for 7 to 10 years. My oldest Prius is 13 years old with 320K miles on it.
My car is a 1990 with 120K miles on it

Yeah, my thinking has always been we all waste money of stuff. Just different stuff.

If you get power outages regularly, batteries make a ton of sense to me since it's such a major pain/hassle that for folks who can afford it, you won't miss that $20k or what not for the batteries. I'm sure people spend more on the Model S/X/Plaid, etc...or just live in a more expensive neighborhood in the millions difference. Batteries are pricey when you look at what a movie cost, but once you bring cars, houses, trips in it, not so much.

I don't have outages (still waiting to really test it) and still so glad to have them.

what is considered a "waste" of money is highly subjective ... i can say buy 10 starbucks drinks a day everyday and it would not affect my lifestyle / retirement etc ..(I actually only go to coffee houses few times a year just not my thing) but if someone wants to spend their earnings on that who am I to criticize their choice ..
My point is if people want to spend money on something they can afford,is legal, is taxed / directly or indirectly employees people then who cares? why are people bothered by that ? Does it directly negatively hurt any of us? 🤷🏻‍♂️