Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR Engineers Show a Tesla Will Drive With No One in the Driver's Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you buy a Waymo car?
Many economists believe self driving cars will not be individually owned as it makes no financial sense. Ownership by an individual is not the interesting inflection point for self driving vehicles. In fact, being able to charge for a trip in something, turning the travel into a commercial transaction is generally a much higher bar than individual ownership. Hence the reason we regulate airlines, buses, and taxis, and have commercial drivers licenses. Why do you think Elon has focused on robotaxis so much?

Last edited:
Many economists believe self driving cars will not be individually owned as it makes no financial sense. Ownership by an individual is not the interesting inflection point for self driving vehicles. In fact, being able to charge for a trip in something, turning the travel into a commercial transaction is generally a much higher bar than individual ownership. Hence the reason we regulate airlines, buses, and taxis, and have commercial drivers licenses.
Interesting. You're talking positively about future possibilities. What are your thoughts on FSD?
Also, my question was very objective and wasn't answered. Hint: the answer is "No".

Reactions: mikes_fsd
What are your thoughts on FSD?
My thought is that, despite Tesla listing it as "FULL SELF DRIVING CAPABILITY" on people's apps and screens in their cars, they are nowhere near being able to do anything near an L4 system no matter the ownership structure. Meanwhile, Waymo is commercially selling rides in an L4 vehicle.

Meanwhile, you appear to be of the point that "Everyone paid $10K for FSD and knows exactly what it is, which is a very basic L2 system, and Tesla has zero liability because it's impossible for someone to think FULL SELF DRIVING AUTOPILOT could drive itself"

What's your thought on the fact that FSD has been sold for 54 months with very different descriptions, documentation, and prices over time, and that everything they do today was called ENHANCED AUTOPILOT in the past? What about the fact that the purchaser of a vehicle is not always the driver, and spouses, parents, friends, and renters on Turo may be the ones operating the vehicle?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
My thought is that, despite Tesla listing it as "FULL SELF DRIVING CAPABILITY" on people's apps and screens in their cars, they are nowhere near being able to do anything near an L4 system no matter the ownership structure. Meanwhile, Waymo is commercially selling rides in an L4 vehicle.

Meanwhile, you appear to be of the point that "Everyone paid $10K for FSD and knows exactly what it is, which is a very basic L2 system, and Tesla has zero liability because it's impossible for someone to think FULL SELF DRIVING AUTOPILOT could drive itself"

What's your thought on the fact that FSD has been sold for 54 months with very different descriptions, documentation, and prices over time, and that everything they do today was called ENHANCED AUTOPILOT in the past? What about the fact that the purchaser of a vehicle is not always the driver, and spouses, parents, friends, and renters on Turo may be the ones operating the vehicle?
I'll happily get to it. After you answer my question. Which of the options in the graphic can you buy today - as a car you own?

I have no idea why you are so focused on ownership or that graphic which I didn't post, but you can buy cars that incorporate Mobileye (including Teslas). They are in 40M+ cars (40X Teslas in existence) and 350+ vehicle models as of 2017: Customers

Is your argument that since you can't buy any other Autonomous vehicle, that no reasonable person would believe a Tesla is an autonomous vehicle?

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
I have no idea why you are so focused on ownership or that graphic which I didn't post, but you can buy cars that incorporate Mobileye (including Teslas). They are in 40M+ cars (40X Teslas in existence) and 350+ vehicle models as of 2017: Customers

Is your argument that since you can't buy any other Autonomous vehicle, that no reasonable person would believe a Tesla is an autonomous vehicle?
Are you a Mobileye employee perchance?

• Funny
Are you a Mobileye employee perchance?
Nope, never worked for Mobileye or any associated company (Intel, etc). Never worked with self driving cars in any way. Interesting that you'd think that was the most likely situation when anyone familiar with Tesla's history would know that AP1 is Mobileye (and thus you can buy a Mobileye vehicle) and all you had to do was Google "mobileye installed cars" to find that page.

Not everyone that believes Tesla is not leading the autonomous space is a shill, short, or otherwise financially biased. Looking at the data around Tesla and other companies can reasonably lead you to that conclusion.

• Disagree
Nope, never worked for Mobileye or any associated company (Intel, etc). Never worked with self driving cars in any way. Interesting that you'd think that was the most likely situation when anyone familiar with Tesla's history would know that AP1 is Mobileye (and thus you can buy a Mobileye vehicle) and all you had to do was Google "mobileye installed cars" to find that page.

Not everyone that believes Tesla is not leading the autonomous space is a shill, short, or otherwise financially biased. Looking at the data around Tesla and other companies can reasonably lead you to that conclusion.
No, but you seem to be one of the folks betting against Tesla. Time will tell.

1619553554471.png

Haters gonna hate!

• Disagree

Somehow we don't see this happening with other cars..

Because it's so bad no one cares? 😆

Which other cars have anything remotely close to AP? And it's clear to any sentient being that the Texas crash was not related to AP.