Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR full test of Model 3 - falls short on recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brakes also seem fine. However, I have not had to do a full speed emergency stop either, which is where this will be critical.

I hope we get more of a response from Tesla, not just we didnt get those results, which is all they have said so far.

Reactions: voip-ninja
We have 2 Model 3's. Brakes seem very good. But we use full regen.

Thanks Gene, if I had one I would probably do the same. It's like keeping 3 birds alive at one time: generating power while stopping and also not wearing out the disc pads. Heck if they installed a rotatable spoiler on the back they could keep a couple more birds alive!

Might be a combination of things.

One thing I'm wondering about. Could the car's use of regenerative braking possibly be a contributor? I realize CR has tested other EVs, but, not that many. Is it possible that there's a "beak in" issue, where the brakes on ICE vehicles are broken in just by CR's standard procedure of putting some miles on the car before running their testing, while putting those same miles on the 3 before testing did not adequately break in the brakes?

• Disagree
Reactions: fmcotton
Honestly if you read the entire review it’s quite fair. The chassis, handling, visibility, steering, driving position, motor performance, interior materials/design, and efficiency/range are all top notch.

Something is clearly awry with repeated panic braking performance (both by Car and Driver and CR) which needs to be addressed, perhaps over the air.

Wind noise and consternation over the touch screen interface are not new criticisms of this car and are justified to some degree, the latter likely to improve with time.

The jarring suspension I experienced on a December built car, but my April built Model 3 is supple and on par with the A4 or 3 series. It would be interesting to know when their test unit was built.

Might be a combination of things.

One thing I'm wondering about. Could the car's use of regenerative braking possibly be a contributor? I realize CR has tested other EVs, but, not that many. Is it possible that there's a "beak in" issue, where the brakes on ICE vehicles are broken in just by CR's standard procedure of putting some miles on the car before running their testing, while putting those same miles on the 3 before testing did not adequately break in the brakes?

Electrek just put out an article on CR's results, definitely worth a read.

So most magazines are seeing variable results with the brakes. The brake pads aren’t up to the abuse associated with multiple repeated stops. They were probably designed to work best under normal circumstances. Panic stop followed by continued driving and not another panic stop for a long time. When tested the stopping distance gets longer if little time is left to cool them. No big surprise and not good for track duty. CR let’s them cool between stops. I wonder if they cooled them by driving normally or put the car in park for a set amount of time and repeat. This would be a bad idea and could lead to damage or glazing of the rear pads since the parking brake clamps down when the car is in park. This could cause the problems CR found. If this is what they did this proves how inept CR is at testing vehicles.

Talk about bad timing.

Right when I was about to order the AWD version of the Three.

I'm totally okay with some control issues, and I'm totally okay with with higher than expected wind noise (even my Model S has this).

But, inconsistent braking reported by multiple publications?

Heck no. There is probably something wrong that has to be corrected.

I've had my M3 for about 7 weeks now. While being blown away by everything the car has to offer I remember my initial impression of the braking performance as being "Hmm, that's not what I expected." I have the standard wheels and drive with standard regen. I use the regen quite often but I feel when I've had to use the brakes for additional stopping power it doesn't come in as strong as I would like. It is weird that this is an issue when compared to everything else the car can do, which is pretty amazing. I really hope this is just a software issue and they can just patch it OTA.