Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR Report/Test on Recent Model S Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I firmly believe that a person intentionally bypassing a safety system becomes responsible for the outcome. You could argue that it might be an issue of a deficient safety system if it was easily bypassed by a child to an extent more than any other automobile.

That said, I'm really not a fan of Tesla's driver detection system as it currently stands. If I had to choose between detecting hands on the wheel or monitoring the driver's eyes, I would choose eyes every time. Not having your hands on the wheel may increase your reaction time, but you simply can't react to a situation you don't see coming. The other problem is that holding the wheel in a manner to best satisfy the torque sensor also decreases reaction time, a 3 and 9 grip will result in a lot more prompts than resting one hand at the bottom of the wheel.

They have cameras in all the cars now, so something they could easily do.

But it doesn't matter - people will always find a way around it. Anyway bypassing the safety system is 100% at fault and will be until the day humans no longer need to input anything into cars to drive them.

They have cameras in all the cars now, so something they could easily do.

But it doesn't matter - people will always find a way around it. Anyway bypassing the safety system is 100% at fault and will be until the day humans no longer need to input anything into cars to drive them.
There is also a weight sensor in the driver's seat. I would think that should be an easy software update to require someone sitting in the seat and not only rely on the seatbelt being fastened. I know you can put a cinder block there or something, but seems like an easy software patch to add since the sensor is already there.

I'll let your response stand on it's own shaky legs. My guess is since you just joined this group you don't own a Tesla, more than likely never road in a Tesla and surly don't own a single share of Tesla.
Laim: Your guesses are not correct. I do own a Tesla Model 3 purchased in Sept 2020, and I posted a picture of it not too long ago. I want Tesla to be successful, but feel they can and should do better. I enjoy my Tesla but am not a blind "Tesla Lover" as some people are on these forums. Consumer Reports magazine that works to protect and empower consumers. Many of the past CR articles are very favorable towards Tesla.

Rubbish. Tesla has made perfectly reasonable efforts to make it difficult to use Autopilot if you're not sitting in the driver's seat. Consumer Reports tied a weight to the steering wheel, they had to override the speed in a specific way and they had to lock the seatbelt as if somebody was in the seat. If people want to abuse the system in that way and use it in a way it isn't supposed to be used, that's on them. You can weigh down the accelerator in most cars if you want to as well.

And GM's system likely isn't foolproof either. As people have suggested, an image of the face and other measures such as weight on seats is possible as well. It doesn't really matter what Tesla or GM does to try to foolproof the system. Some will find a way to defeat these measures.
EV Meister: Tesla's Autopilot/FSD is good, but Tesla can do a better job to improve safety while using autopilot, such as enabling the in-cabin cameras to monitor the attention. Tesla does not currently offer any real-time driver monitoring systems to ensure a driver is in the driver's seat, awake, and looking at the road when Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability features are used.

Although Tesla's do check for the force of a driver's hands on the steering wheel, GM’s Super Cruise relies on an in-car camera to determine whether the driver is looking at the road. If the driver ignores repeated warnings to pay attention, the vehicle will eventually bring itself to a stop gradually, activate the flashers, and notify emergency services. Systems from BMW, Ford, and others have similar driver monitoring systems. Tesla should be next to offer driver monitoring and do it very soon.

I just found out that if you douse yourself in gasoline and light a match it can be bad! When is consumer reports going to write a article on this enormous safety problem. Why are they not demanding action by gas companies! How culpable are the match makers?

People are responsible for their own actions. I know for some that's a radical concept. :rolleyes: Tesla is not responsible for assuring that people use their vehicle in a safe manner (by actually sitting in the seat in this case). All the driver assistance aids are just that, and the driver still needs to be responsible.

Weights placed on the seat can easily defeat the seat sensor.

I am sure there is a way to bypass the "eye tracker" on some cars as well.

Any reasonable person, would not buckle the seat while not on the seat and move to the passenger seat.

I have friends that have clips that they use instead of their seatbelts. If my friend gets into an accident and dies, CR doing a clip in the seatbelt test to prove you can easily bypass it proves nothing.

People are dumb. If you bypass the safety devices that are in place, and harm yourself, you can't say "It was easily defeated" and that's the problem. The problem is the person that is bypassing the safety measures.
Exactly!