Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR Report/Test on Recent Model S Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came across this article by consumer reports..... Are they idiots??? I just don't get what they are trying to prove.

I love the picture with the rigged setup.

I would love to see them do the same testing for all other ICE cars, where they place a brick on the gas pedal, tie a rope to the steering wheel, and say "it was so easy to trick the car to drive by itself". Or have a kid get in the car and drive the car and say "hey we just tricked the car to have it be driven by a child".

Last edited:
...Are they idiots??? I just don't get what they are trying to prove...

They should have done this a long time ago starting from 2014 AP1. Their mistake was going along with Tesla being a silent partner and let other Youtubers risking their lives test that out for us for all these years.

Yes, Youtubers have done it with no drivers in a driver's seat for years but they are not as prestigious as a real reporter's test.

Consumer Reports should have spoken up years ago and not waiting till now to say that hey, there's a weight sensor, why not using it not just to alarm the seat buckling practice but also to deploy the Autopilot Shut Down Process whenever there's a drastic weight reduction detected on the driver's seat.

Weights placed on the seat can easily defeat the seat sensor.

I am sure there is a way to bypass the "eye tracker" on some cars as well.

Any reasonable person, would not buckle the seat while not on the seat and move to the passenger seat.

I have friends that have clips that they use instead of their seatbelts. If my friend gets into an accident and dies, CR doing a clip in the seatbelt test to prove you can easily bypass it proves nothing.

People are dumb. If you bypass the safety devices that are in place, and harm yourself, you can't say "It was easily defeated" and that's the problem. The problem is the person that is bypassing the safety measures.

Last edited:
Weights placed on the seat can easily defeat the seat sensor...

Yes, that would be possible but much harder. How to place an 80-pound weight while the car is driving at 80MPH toward the trees?

And after that test drive toward the trees, the police would find the evidence that there's a big weight lying around the scene and not just 2 bodies.

Reactions: Ciaopec and Hank42
Foolish people killed themselves, not the car's fault.

True but there would not be so many speculations if there's a driver in the driver's seat or a way to explain how the car could steer and accelerate when Elon said it's not his Autopilot system and the police said the bodies were not in the driver's seat (if unbuckled, they should be ejected through the front windshield and not to the back seat.)

The log would tell us how this happened but we don't know when it will be disclosed.

Honestly i wish the Autopilot would be easier, i have to constantly move wheel, or squeeze hard, especially when i am driving with hand on lower part of wheel.

That's why NTSB argues for a driver camera monitoring system

Last edited by a moderator:
True but there would not be so many speculations if there's a driver in the driver's seat or a way to explain how the car could steer and accelerate when Elon said it's not his Autopilot system and the police said the bodies were not in the driver's seat (if unbuckled, they should be ejected through the front windshield and not to the back seat.)

The log would tell us how this happened but we don't know when it will be disclosed.

That's why NTSB argues for a driver camera monitoring system
User error in my book, can't babysit adults, especially a DR!!!

I agree, since there is already a driver camera in place.

I’m waiting for other CR tests. Maybe they could do one on gas tanks exploding after they remove all safety features and then toss them in a fire. Honestly it’s just another hit piece, Tesla does not claim it’s systems can’t be defeated by morons, in fact they make it very clear the system must be monitored at all times and you must keep your hands on the wheel. When did CR fall so far?

...When did CR fall so far?...

Many people don't read the owner's manual but they do hear about what Consumer Reports did.

So it is reasonable to hold Consumer Reports to educate those who do not read Tesla's owner's manual.

It should have spoken a long time ago.

Tesla portraits its system so autonomous that it would not need any driver by about 2018 as tweeted in 2016:

In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY

In 2015, Elon Musk said:

"We’re going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years"

No gasoline cars said that they wouldn't need drivers anymore by 2017 so there's no need to test them.

But for very highly educated people like an engineer or a medical doctor, and because it's not an obsolete year of 2017 or 2018 anymore, so they may want to test that out for themselves because after all, Elon Musk is an engineer too!

I wonder - Is there going to be a CR report on whatever car Tiger Woods was driving when he crashed? After all he nearly killed himself and the car should have seen that coming and stopped him. Maybe the govt also needs to investigate. And maybe all cars need to be speed limited to the max legal speeds, after all...

Or just ban cars, that way no stupid people will kill themselves in cars - they'll have to find another way to do it.

CR, where are you? Lexus is driving itself!

Attachments

• lexusmustdie.jpg
    lexusmustdie.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Fairchild
I am unclear about the seat sensors in the M3 and MY. I believe they are part of the equation in the MS and MX to keep the car powered. If I leave my seat the car shuts down and there is no mention in the CR article about that aspect. Only the seatbelt was fastened and a chain attached to the steering wheel.

I suppose I am a bit closed minded but I firmly believe any thing used by unsupervised idiots and those with no common sense can be dangerous. Look at the warnings on coffee cups and a myriad of other products. They are there because someone was not smart enough to use it as advertised or they lacked the sense to know hot coffee is served, well, hot!