Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack in 21 inch factory wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been discussed before but have been monitoring a slow leak in my right front tire, finally got the wheel off the car and did an inspection thinking I would find a nail or screw, but found a small hair line crack on the inside of the rim and on the outside flat portion toward where the tire seats. Bubbles coming out when I did a suds test. I assume this means a new wheel, do not think these can be repaired. Input would be appreciated.

There are some companies that claim they can repair cracks like this. I would just get a new one though.
I'm surprised to see it on a California car, I've had two cracked wheels on my BMW in the last couple of months due to the potholes around here, and those were only 17 and 18" wheels, not 21"s.

There are some companies that claim they can repair cracks like this. I would just get a new one though.
I'm surprised to see it on a California car, I've had two cracked wheels on my BMW in the last couple of months due to the potholes around here, and those were only 17 and 18" wheels, not 21"s.
Yes I'am suprised to, do not remember hitting pot holes or anything for that matter.

Would warranty cover this if it can be shown that it was not caused by a pothole? Could have been a bad casting. Though you've had her for a while. But not that long. I'd call them.
These were purchased used from another S owner over a year and a half ago and up until this week had no problems, just wonder what caused it. Once I replace it I will pursue having it repaired.

I had a similar experience with cracking my front right 21" rim heading up a particularly bad stretch of the Altamont Pass in Livermore. I did replace the rim with a new one I already owned, but also had the cracked one repaired so it can live at home as a spare.

I used Team Three Wheels in San Leandro - note that I have no connection to this shop, but they did a nice job and came recommended. Cost was 10% of what a new wheel costs and has a lifetime guarantee.

Again - I wouldn't recommend using this as your daily rim, but it could make for a nice spare FWIW.

Aaron