Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack in rear glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a possible rock impact. Would be very hard to notice impact point.

Just had windshield replaced on our Model X. Was a $2100 bill; insurance covered under my comprehensive coverage. I have a $100 deductible, so that was a no brainer.

Call Geico and ask them - not sure what your comprehensive deductible is ...
That is something a Ford dealer would say, must have been a rock impact on the rear glass or sunroof. LOL

You really don't think a rock can hit another piece of glass? I can show you shatter impact on my glass roof.
Oh I think it can most certainly happen. But my Fusion Sport sunroof glass flew completely off the adhesive. It was maybe 4 months old at the time. I took it to Ford, and they made every single excuse they could even saying it must have been a rock chip. Except there's no sunroof glass or fragments because it flew clean off. They insisted it was a rock chip. Turns out it is a ploy with all automakers/dealers/OEM because none of the glass is covered under any warranty. I am not sure about Tesla but with Ford/Lexus/Porsche/whomever as soon as you drive the car off any glass damage is on you/insurance even if it was a manufacturing defect. I showed the glass separation to a friend that works for FCA (at the time) and she said what probably happened was they waited too long to put the glass on and the adhesive started curing.
There's also a known issue with F-150 rear glass exploding/cracking due to the defroster causing issues. Also Explorers with rear glass that explodes randomly.
And I can spot rock impacts fairly easily due to the cratering and small glass powder usually left behind on the front windshield. Probably not as easy on glass roofs since the powder can get blown off.

Attachments

• Sunroof Missing Glass.JPG
    Sunroof Missing Glass.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
Sounds like a possible rock impact. Would be very hard to notice impact point.

Just had windshield replaced on our Model X. Was a $2100 bill; insurance covered under my comprehensive coverage. I have a $100 deductible, so that was a no brainer.

Call Geico and ask them - not sure what your comprehensive deductible is ...
It is a manufacturing defect but you are out of warranty so I doubt Tesla will cover it. It happened to me last summer (2019 M3), Tesla covered it but the invoice listed the cost and as I remember it was around $900.
Oh I think it can most certainly happen. But my Fusion Sport sunroof glass flew completely off the adhesive. It was maybe 4 months old at the time. I took it to Ford, and they made every single excuse they could even saying it must have been a rock chip. Except there's no sunroof glass or fragments because it flew clean off. They insisted it was a rock chip. Turns out it is a ploy with all automakers/dealers/OEM because none of the glass is covered under any warranty. I am not sure about Tesla but with Ford/Lexus/Porsche/whomever as soon as you drive the car off any glass damage is on you/insurance even if it was a manufacturing defect. I showed the glass separation to a friend that works for FCA (at the time) and she said what probably happened was they waited too long to put the glass on and the adhesive started curing.
There's also a known issue with F-150 rear glass exploding/cracking due to the defroster causing issues. Also Explorers with rear glass that explodes randomly.
And I can spot rock impacts fairly easily due to the cratering and small glass powder usually left behind on the front windshield. Probably not as easy on glass roofs since the powder can get blown off.
Tesla covers it if you are under warranty. I had mine replaced last year. The Model 3 gets stress fractures in the rear glass, it's a manufacturing defect it's not caused by a road hazard.

Reactions: metroplex

Gotcha! Yeah, "Roof flying off" is very different from "rock impact" ... LOL. Can't believe they'd even try that!!

Tesla does, has and will cover glass manufacturing defects under warranty. Basically, it has to pass the ballpoint pen test -- if you can run the ballpoint pen thru the entirety of the crack without it dipping anywhere, it's likely a defect and not an impact. Pretty tough test to pass; it's amazing how many times folks find a minute impact point that way. They're pretty good about it though if you can show it's a defect.

Yeah, my glass roof on Model 3 most assuredly has a rock impact - was clear as day. Can hit the rear window just as easily -- bad luck sometimes is just plain bad luck.

As for @balajeek's issue -- they're out of warranty anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Just comes down to whether you pay out of pocket, or via your comprehensive coverage. No good reason IMO to pay for glass out of pocket -- comp claims aren't nearly the cause for concern collision ones are.

Reactions: metroplex
I fixed an appointment with Tesla and it's available only on June to my location. few days later they posted an estimate of $894
It says "Repaired covered under warranty will be waived". In my case I am out of the 4 year warranty already, I probably will be charged and I wonder if it will the amount they estimated $894 or it would add significantly more when I show up there. Any one done it?

I fixed an appointment with Tesla and it's available only on June to my location. few days later they posted an estimate of $894
It says "Repaired covered under warranty will be waived". In my case I am out of the 4 year warranty already, I probably will be charged and I wonder if it will the amount they estimated $894 or it would add significantly more when I show up there. Any one done it?

My rear glass has also developed a stress crack. I have a 2018 Model 3 LR. It is out of warranty. Anyone have luck getting this replaced out of warranty? Clearly a manufacturing flaw.