Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack on glass roof no exterior damage but not under warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed a crack on the glass roof :( There is no impact mark of any kind and had the car for 8 months yet tesla is charging me >1k for the repair. Shouldn't this kind of defect be covered by the warranty? Did anyone have a similar issue and what is the resolution?

Attachments

• 20190513_100809.jpg
    20190513_100809.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 2,135
  • 20190515_154140.jpg
    20190515_154140.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Screenshot_20190516-192309_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190516-192309_Chrome.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 511
I just noticed a crack on the glass roof :( There is no impact mark of any kind and had the car for 8 months yet tesla is charging me >1k for the repair. Shouldn't this kind of defect be covered by the warranty? Did anyone have a similar issue and what is the resolution?

Mine cracked at 8 months as well. They said they needed to inspect it. I explained it via text message it was inside layer and sent pictures. They agreed it shouldn’t be a problem. But they said 99% Chance it will be covered. So I skipped inspection and I’d pay out of pocket if they said no. They never blinked an eye and was fully covered. Mine was on passenger side near tail light. It was fixed within 1 week.

I’d try another service center if that’s an option.

All else fails most insurance will cover it.

Reactions: jessca
OMG, My car is now only 9 months old and my moonroof cracked as well. No visible impact on the Roof yet inside the car there is a long twisty crack on the roof.

I have an appointment for the fix, however, I just looked at my upcoming appointment and there is a charge of $1300cnd for the replacement. There is no impact on the roof at all only from the inside!
I am very upset at this point.

This is insane! I hope the service center will make it right! My appointment is on the 7 July! wish me luck!

Have a look at the crack! from inside to outside.

Attachments

• 61444972758__09B6000F-E469-4928-B33B-C80D3DC4C3F9.JPG
    61444972758__09B6000F-E469-4928-B33B-C80D3DC4C3F9.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_6930.jpg
    IMG_6930.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 446
Had my rear glass replaced due to not enough adhesive used when it was installed. Local service techs said this is a very common problem. It creates soft spots in the roof glass that eventually turn into small stress fractures. Then the glass cracks.

Now mine was replaced because we thought it was contributing to noise in the back. Once it is cracked I can see you fighting an uphill battle trying to prove that it was a defect (either glass or assembly) vs some external pressure causing the crack.

OMG, My car is now only 9 months old and my moonroof cracked as well. No visible impact on the Roof yet inside the car there is a long twisty crack on the roof.

I have an appointment for the fix, however, I just looked at my upcoming appointment and there is a charge of $1300cnd for the replacement. There is no impact on the roof at all only from the inside!
I am very upset at this point.

This is insane! I hope the service center will make it right! My appointment is on the 7 July! wish me luck!

Have a look at the crack! from inside to outside.

That charge will always appear even for things that will be covered under warranty. I wouldn't worry till they inspect it.