Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Main Screen = Bad Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With that said, can't you share navigation routes from your mobile to Tesla, wouldn't that still allow nav to work? Also voice commands still work right? That's operated by the wheel buttons. So you should still be able to get most of the functions to work in the car without having to touch the screen.

Yep that's been somewhat effective, also for temperature control (but not seat heaters when the car turns them on). Wish we had more controls on the app!

Reactions: Gavyne
Just ordered a screen protector... I think this thread will result in a whole bunch of sales! I had never thought of this in all my "what can go wrong with this spaceship" scenarios that keep running through my head on long car trips...:)

Dang that's a good point, if you are a screen protector vendor please feel free to send me one for free for helping with sales :D

On a more serious note, which one did you get? I'll definitely be buying one as well now.

• Funny
Reactions: goldengate
I am torn between Matte and Clear.... Anyone actually seen screens with both
I had both. Stuck with the matted and never looked back. Upon initial installation the smoothing effect was quite shocking, since the exceptional clarity of the stock screen is still clear in mind. From the next day and on however, I hardly noticed except for the great reduction in glare. YMMV. Only way to know for sure is to get it and find out. :)

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and Jtt777
I am torn between Matte and Clear.... Anyone actually seen screens with both to compare?
I went with the Matte because the fingerprints were really showing on the screen without a protector. I would imagine the clear will cut it down, but not as much as the Matte. The fingerprints are virtually gone and it's still very clear. I'll post a pic tomorrow in the daylight.

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker
My wife dropped her iPhone X a couple weeks ago and then found a large crack on it. I looked at it and was surprised after such a fall it was only the 9H screen protector that cracked. That’s the first time I’ve seen a protector crack without the phone cracking but it made me a fan. There’s no proof the screen would have cracked without the protector, but it certainly seems likely in this case.

I’ll pick one up. Similar with my iPad and iPhone, I can’t do matte. Just takes too much of the display quality out.

My wife dropped her iPhone X a couple weeks ago and then found a large crack on it. I looked at it and was surprised after such a fall it was only the 9H screen protector that cracked. That’s the first time I’ve seen a protector crack without the phone cracking but it made me a fan. There’s no proof the screen would have cracked without the protector, but it certainly seems likely in this case.

I’ll pick one up. Similar with my iPad and iPhone, I can’t do matte. Just takes too much of the display quality out.

Last summer I dropped my iPhone from about 3 feet, but completely evenly flat on its face. The phone was in its case, but also had a glass screen protector. The previous time this had happened, without a glass screen protector, the screen had shattered and I had to replace it. This time, I thought the screen had shattered, but when I took it to the Apple store to have the screen replaced, they happily informed me that the only thing broken was the screen protector. It looked just like a shattered screen! Buying a new screen protector was much less expensive than replacing the screen. My M3 has a matte, glass screen protector. I like the fewer fingerprints, and the display has hardly any glare even in direct sunlight.

Update - Took car to service center, at first they were going to have me wait a week for parts to arrive but then they realized how bad the problem was in terms of phantom touches so they gave me a loaner and are expediting the parts. Hopefully this will be covered under warranty due to how easily the screen cracked, pending manager approval.

Seems like Tesla is once again going to cover what would normally not be covered under warranty.
I wouldn’t say they owe you due to how easily it broke or claiming it was under stress. I think when you hit glass just the right way, it just breaks. It’s happened to my iPhone a number of times. Twice covered under the warranty plan I bought for things like glass breaks. Once out of warranty, I had to pay for myself.

I really am hoping Tesla covers this for you, sounds like they will. I’m also really glad I own a car from a company that keeps replacing parts that the warranty wouldn’t normally cover, (with a loaner no less).

I have to say I’m not a fan of entitlement though. I read a lot posts, where users break something, then find ways to blame the manufacturer, and get angry if it’s not fixed for free, even if it’s not a warranty issue.
We bought a different car. It’s high tech. That comes with new problems and risks.
That’s not Tesla’s fault.

Entitlement, will affect us all in the long run, that’s for sure. ..

In any case, I truly am glad it looks like they’re covering it for you, in this case.
That screen is likely pricey.
Keep us posted.
Any chance you can ask how much it would have cost, if they didn’t help you out ?
Just curious.

Yeah buy a $1000+ phone with OLED screen and put a third rate screen protector on it. Just get a candy bar phone.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
Soo on my way home yesterday i was going to place my phone in the charging cradle and accidentally tapped the bottom edge of the car dash screen with the top of my phone. I didn't think much of it at the moment, but then 15 minutes later my touchscreen started to freak out and was totally unresponsive to my inputs.

Turns out my car screen is cracked and this has a major impact on it's usability. I essentially cannot use the screen anymore and that means i can't access the cars sub-menus, adjust lights/windshield wipers etc. Called Tesla and they said the earliest i could get an appointment was 3 weeks from now, which kinda sucks. Really hoping they don't make me pay for this as glass fractured MUCH to easily and i suspect it had high internal stress remaining from the manufacturing process.

Wanted to post this as a PSA to everyone else, be VERY careful with your screens and really think about getting one of those glass screen protectors!
You broken it but you want Tesla to pay for it??

Reactions: smatthew
My wife and I have had smart phones since around year 2003-ish. New phone every year. I’ve yet to crack a screen and never used a case. Only a plastic screen protector.

I do now run with a minimal case on iPhone X (first time) and a plastic screen protector. Because it’s so expensive to repair. I know the screen protectors prevented scratches for sure. Can’t say they ever prevented a crack, but my guess is they have.

I never liked the glass screen protectors. They were actually too smooth, and didn’t feel right. The plastic clear screen protectors can make finger prints worse. The only time you see finger prints is when the device is off.

That all said I just bought the glass one, clear, from Abstract Ocean. Most positive reviews tended to be on the clear. Most negative reviews tended to be on the Matt. Lots of complaints about fuzzy display. I looked on many sites to determine that. Some complained the glare was worse with Matt.

I think a glass protector might protect it from some light hits to the screen.

Many screen protectors are not curved along the bottom. Watch out for that. I want it to look and feel like factory.