TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cracked Model X windshield

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bobbykansara, May 31, 2016.

1. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

Am I the first to have a cracked Model X windshield?

Driving back from Mount Rushmore on a family road trip for the long weekend, a large rock hit my Model X windshield and put a medium sized crack in it.

For those who have been wondering about replacement costs for the windshield, I can report that the cost estimate from my local service center is $2290 before tax.

The attached picture shows the extent of the crack; I apologize for the crappy photo.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 12
  2. ModelX

ModelX Member

Ouch! I think you are the first to report this happening to them. Hope it is fixed soon!

3. DougH

DougH Active Member

I am actually surprised it's not more. My Model S windshield was $1350.00

4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I would look into the resin injection option, that area is not even visible from the interior.

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

@bobbykansara, very sorry to hear this. I can imagine the exact physical sensation of the pit of the stomach sinking. Thanks for the price quote. Maybe you'll get a new windshield without double/triple vision.. trying to look on the slightly bright side.

• Like x 1
  6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

OUCH!!! That is why you need a outshade (a sunshade that goes outside the windshield)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

#7 jomo25, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    No, you aren't the first. Mine has been cracked for 2 weeks. All the way across.

First bad day in the X

Not that that was a title I was seeking or proud of.

It started from a rock strike on the passenger side. Right near where the visor is anchored. It ended up expanding all the way across. But amazingly it went up about 8 inches then went across, so it is luckily completely out of my line of sight. So I'm in no rush to replace it knowing it might happen again with all the damn rocks on our roadways here in AZ.

8. tropical1

tropical1 Member

I think in some states cracked windshields are required to be covered by insurance. Might want to check.

• Informative x 1
  9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Correct. This is a useful link, though I'd verify with an official site.

Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina appear to be the "definitely yes" states. Others offer it either by location or by option.

• Informative x 1
  10. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Yep here in Canada, cracked windshields are covered under our comprehensive part of the insurance, so no increases for the claim!

If the windshield can be repaired, we don't have to pay the deductible, but if it needs to be replaced, we do...currently my deductibles only $300, but a quote from my insurance company and they said the minimum deductible for a Tesla is $5,000 loll so really its of no use :(

11. CaliX

CaliX Member

Do you have insurance coverage? The real question is how long to get a replacement?

Good luck.

12. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

huh? your policy says deductibles for damage to cars made by specific manufacturers can vary?

13. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Sorry for your bad luck Bobby.

I had Clearplex installed on our windshield 48" from the bottom.

14. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Any photos of this? How well do the wipers work with this on?

15. ssq

ssq Member

Which company is this so I steer clear of them. I am with Geico and quotes from them for my X in "gestation state" is the most reasonable of all.

16. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Yes, I would do the same

17. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

Would this have protected the windshield? Any written guarantee from Clearplex? I would be interested but what is the cost...could you pm
    the cost if you wouldn't mind?

18. ssq

ssq Member

h
    Check YouTube videos of clearplex. Looks like it could have prevented this kind of damage.

19. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

It should... $500 installed for 48". I can notice the line from the outside, but does not bother me from the inside as it ends up in the tinted area.

Have not tried wipers yet, as I have not driven in the rain since install. I put OptiCoat Pro Plus on the CP, so if low speeds, might need the wipers, but wont need them at highway speeds. I know 2 guys with MSs that have CP and no issues with wipers.

Be aware that CP is challenging to install, so make sure to do lots of research on installers.

Attached Files:

20. Vizir

Vizir Member

Kansas seems to have some dubious language. Ugh. I hope I'm covered... went with $50 glass deductible $500 otherwise with Progressive. Best glass coverage I could find. Only a few others did glass separate from comprehensive/collision.