Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Model X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0448b.JPG

I appreciate the info and the post. Unfortunately I'm am also a recipient of a cracked windshield (June 27, 2016). It happened while driving 55mph in the slow lane (RH side) of a four lane paved road while on our Nebraska summer family road trip. From the very start I set out to be supper careful by not following trucks closely or vehicles without mud flaps, etc. As fate would have it I now have a 6" crack that has emanated from a single rock ding. I haven't bothered to replace it yet till I know there is an very good product to protect windshields. I considered putting Clearplex on the windshield, when I got the car wrapped with XPEL, but didn't because the installer mentioned there wasn't a big enough piece available for a Model X; wasn't totally happy with it due to the wiper scratching issue over time; and propensity for lifting on the edges. On the plus side, I have comprehensive insurance with a $1k deductible. If anyone finds a good film for windshields, please post it.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and madodel
I have an appointment already set up with my Suntek clear wrap installer to install some new windshield skin from a company called Bray. Scheduled for next week after the MX went in for some minor delivery-finish type service yesterday.
The intake guy marks that [in addition to the curb rash that I created Sunday (doh!)] there is a crack on my windshield. I say "what crack?" So he shows me a small rock ding an inch above the hood line low on the passenger side.
Three weeks old. Can't make this stuff up.

This weekend I discovered a small rock crack in windshield (down low so not noticeable to driver), it is not propagating so far. But have others reported on something to add on it to help prevent growth?

I got a small crack the first month of ownership and went to an auto glass repair place. They injected glue in the crack. The guy said he had done hundreds if not thousands of repairs like this and only about 1% of times did things looks worse rather than better after the repair. Wouldn't you know it, I was in that 1%. Mind you, it did not look much worse, just grew a tiny in size. And i should point out 30,000 miles later, it has not got any worse. I am not sure if he had a little trouble with the repair because of the properties of the MX windshield or if I was just unlucky. I believe the treatment for small cracks is pretty much the same what ever auto glass place you go to. Here is a link with some info:
Windshield Repair | Car Window Repair | Safelite AutoGlass
Good Luck

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat