Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Model X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the first to have a cracked Model X windshield?

Driving back from Mount Rushmore on a family road trip for the long weekend, a large rock hit my Model X windshield and put a medium sized crack in it.

For those who have been wondering about replacement costs for the windshield, I can report that the cost estimate from my local service center is $2290 before tax.

The attached picture shows the extent of the crack; I apologize for the crappy photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 2,163
No, you aren't the first. Mine has been cracked for 2 weeks. All the way across.

First bad day in the X

Not that that was a title I was seeking or proud of.

It started from a rock strike on the passenger side. Right near where the visor is anchored. It ended up expanding all the way across. But amazingly it went up about 8 inches then went across, so it is luckily completely out of my line of sight. So I'm in no rush to replace it knowing it might happen again with all the damn rocks on our roadways here in AZ.

Last edited:
Yep here in Canada, cracked windshields are covered under our comprehensive part of the insurance, so no increases for the claim!

If the windshield can be repaired, we don't have to pay the deductible, but if it needs to be replaced, we do...currently my deductibles only $300, but a quote from my insurance company and they said the minimum deductible for a Tesla is $5,000 loll so really its of no use :(

Am I the first to have a cracked Model X windshield?

Driving back from Mount Rushmore on a family road trip for the long weekend, a large rock hit my Model X windshield and put a medium sized crack in it.

For those who have been wondering about replacement costs for the windshield, I can report that the cost estimate from my local service center is $2290 before tax.

The attached picture shows the extent of the crack; I apologize for the crappy photo.

Do you have insurance coverage? The real question is how long to get a replacement?

Good luck.

Yep here in Canada, cracked windshields are covered under our comprehensive part of the insurance, so no increases for the claim!

If the windshield can be repaired, we don't have to pay the deductible, but if it needs to be replaced, we do...currently my deductibles only $300, but a quote from my insurance company and they said the minimum deductible for a Tesla is $5,000 loll so really its of no use :(
Which company is this so I steer clear of them. I am with Geico and quotes from them for my X in "gestation state" is the most reasonable of all.

Would this have protected the windshield? Any written guarantee from Clearplex? I would be interested but what is the cost...could you pm
the cost if you wouldn't mind?

It should... $500 installed for 48". I can notice the line from the outside, but does not bother me from the inside as it ends up in the tinted area.

Any photos of this? How well do the wipers work with this on?

Have not tried wipers yet, as I have not driven in the rain since install. I put OptiCoat Pro Plus on the CP, so if low speeds, might need the wipers, but wont need them at highway speeds. I know 2 guys with MSs that have CP and no issues with wipers.

Be aware that CP is challenging to install, so make sure to do lots of research on installers.

Attachments

• IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    707.6 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_2730.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    685.3 KB · Views: 1,298
Correct. This is a useful link, though I'd verify with an official site.

Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina appear to be the "definitely yes" states. Others offer it either by location or by option.

Kansas seems to have some dubious language. Ugh. I hope I'm covered... went with $50 glass deductible $500 otherwise with Progressive. Best glass coverage I could find. Only a few others did glass separate from comprehensive/collision.