Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Model X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
huh? your policy says deductibles for damage to cars made by specific manufacturers can vary?

Nothing in my policy about the Model X and I drive a Lexus RX 350 (expecting July delivery on the X), but when I called my current insurance company to get a quote to add the Model X, they stated its not in their system yet (fair as the first Model X to arrive in Canada isn't expected till the end of June), and she gave me a quote based on the Model S with a comparable vehicle value...the premium was reasonable, and actually slightly lower than my RX 350, but she said that the smallest deductible they offer on Tesla's is $5,000 (she claimed that this is applicable to any car over $100,000 CAD)

Which company is this so I steer clear of them. I am with Geico and quotes from them for my X in "gestation state" is the most reasonable of all.

This is RBC Insurance up here in Canada (Ontario to be specific)

Am I the first to have a cracked Model X windshield?

Driving back from Mount Rushmore on a family road trip for the long weekend, a large rock hit my Model X windshield and put a medium sized crack in it.

For those who have been wondering about replacement costs for the windshield, I can report that the cost estimate from my local service center is $2290 before tax.

The attached picture shows the extent of the crack; I apologize for the crappy photo.

Does the $2290+tax price include installation?

Yep here in Canada, cracked windshields are covered under our comprehensive part of the insurance, so no increases for the claim!

If the windshield can be repaired, we don't have to pay the deductible, but if it needs to be replaced, we do...currently my deductibles only $300, but a quote from my insurance company and they said the minimum deductible for a Tesla is $5,000 loll so really its of no use :(

Just to clarify (since you implied all of Canada), that might be the case in Ontario, but it seems to work differently here in Alberta. Repairs are not always covered (depends on company) and based on a couple of insurance companies I spoke with, having them replace the glass, and pay the (high deductible) could result in an increase in premiums.

I did have 3rd party (AMI) glass coverage on other cars, but AMI classified the Model S (and presumably the Model X) as exotic (same class as Lambo/Ferarri/etc) and thus would not issue coverage.

Reactions: Paul8810
Am I the first to have a cracked Model X windshield?

Driving back from Mount Rushmore on a family road trip for the long weekend, a large rock hit my Model X windshield and put a medium sized crack in it.

For those who have been wondering about replacement costs for the windshield, I can report that the cost estimate from my local service center is $2290 before tax.

The attached picture shows the extent of the crack; I apologize for the crappy photo.

That cost replacement is probably low, my pano roof on the range rover was cracked and they are replacing right now estimate was around $3200, the glass alone is $2500. So far the bill is around $5k and it has been 3 weeks. Of course insurance covers it minus deductible

Bobby -- this was the result of a parts price mistake in our system. Our service team will reach out to you to give you a corrected estimate.
@JonMc - just to confirm are you Jon McNeill Head of Global Sales and Tesla VP?@bobbykansara - your Post is now in the news:
New Car Reviews, Ratings & Pricing, Auto News for New Models
@cbotnyse - I believe what you are talking about is the pano roof on Model 3 which is different than Model X windshield. I am expecting the windshield on Model 3 to be similar to Model S windshield.

@JonMc - just to confirm are you Jon McNeill Head of Global Sales and Tesla VP?@bobbykansara - your Post is now in the news:
New Car Reviews, Ratings & Pricing, Auto News for New Models
@cbotnyse - I believe what you are talking about is the pano roof on Model 3 which is different than Model X windshield. I am expecting the windshield on Model 3 to be similar to Model S windshield.

Direct link: Tesla Model X’s stunning panoramic windshield cost ~$2300 to replace

Interesting article, it states that average SUV windshields come to $200-400....however....I had to get my windshield replaced for my Lexus RX 350 once...and it was $1100 plus taxes... (covered by insurance of course)....and this was when our Canadian dollar was worth more than the US a couple years back haha.

I am in California and I have GEICO coverage and I asked them about limits on windshield replacement.
1. Windshield damage is covered under Comprehensive coverage
2. For minor repairs like chips, no deductible, repair will be fully covered
3. For windshield replacement, deductible as per your policy applies
4. Cost of repair they will cover cannot exceed market value of car and in most cases the windshield cost will be much lower than the cost of replacing the vehicle. So essentially the limit is the value of the car.

I wonder if the cost will be similar for the Model 3's pano windshield.

I expect that the replacement cost per unit would be lower, due to larger economies of scale for the Model 3 component.

At the vehicle fleet level, consider that the Model X panoramic windshield is in the front, while the Model 3's large glass piece is in the back. In the past 20+ years, I cannot ever remember myself or anyone I know having a rock or other object damage the rear window of a vehicle during ordinary driving. Overall cost for Model 3 for rear window damage should be very minimal compared to the Model X front windshield.

Basically: Apples vs. Oranges.

Bobby -- this was the result of a parts price mistake in our system. Our service team will reach out to you to give you a corrected estimate.

Thanks, @JonMc !

I am happy to report to everyone that the CORRECT price of the windshield replacement is approx. $880 (NOT $2300 as I was originally quoted). Once again, Tesla comes through with exquisite customer service! Frankly, I am very pleasantly surprised as I thought the cost of the windshield replacement would be much, much higher. Either way, the Model X remains the greatest thing I have every purchased.