Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked my windshield—can GEICO/safelight handle this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue with safelight, at least from other things I have read here about them and Tesla's, is at least for some people they were "forcing" a camera calibration charge for model 3s and it simply isnt needed as there isnt anything for them to do. The cameras re calibrate themselves when you drive.
I just had an experience with this very thing. I did my own research into the service manual about this prior to going to my appointment, as far as camera calibration and such. I set up my appointment through Geico for Safelite due to the convenience, and yeah on Geico's site they say camera calibration MAY be required for your vehicle, so that's what prompted the research. So I arrive for my 8 AM appointment, and they ask if I'm dropping it off. I said well yeah, I'm gonna wait. They said it would take all day, to which I replied "All day?!" with some confusion. They said they needed to hook up a laptop to the car and recalibrate the cameras and it takes all day. They said it's Tesla's policy and showed me line items on an invoice in some code. I informed them that it's not necessary, and that the car calibrates itself by driving it. I offered to pull it up on my laptop in the service manual. They then came out while I was doing that and said it's Geico's policy because the vehicle would be unsafe, and I said so showing you what it says in the manual is pointless and I need to contact Geico. They said yes. So I called Geico and informed them the same, they contacted Safelite, and Safelite said it was their policy because the vehicle would be unsafe.

Needless to say I'm still trying to find a glass shop before I decide to just go to Tesla and have Geico reimburse. One shop said they don't work on Tesla vehicles outside of California, and another doesn't work on Tesla any more because the windshield is "too proprietary" and "finicky."

I also explained to them that the vehicle is not unsafe, because the autopilot features aren't available until calibration is complete. They wouldn't stop saying "unsafe."

EDIT: To be clear, the reason I didn't let them do the work was because I drove an hour from home for a 2-3 hour appointment, and I didn't have transportation arranged for an all-day drop off.

I had my Model 3 windshield replaced last year. Satellite was 3-4 weeks out, because they don't stock the glass. Went with a local shop in Phoenix that was $200 more than my $0 deductible from my insurance. They stock all Tesla glass from Tesla, and buy some by the pallet load. Guy doing the job has thirty years experience and other Teslas that were parked outside waiting their turn. They even plug you car into a wall connector while they are working on it.

Will be using AUTOGLASS 20/20 LLC . They are located at 355 E Warner Rd Ste 4, Chandler, AZ 85225 , but agreed to do mobile. Claimed to do tons of TSLA. We shall see. Tesla Auto Glass Service Experts | Windshield Auto Glass Replacement

They also agreed tint it for me prior

Do I need to do anything prior to prep car?

I drive about 30k highway miles a year and about every 3 years the odds catch up to me and a rock ends up totaling my windshield.

So the windshield on my ‘21 model 3 needs replaced. My insurance is Geico, and they have typically used safelight in the past. I am weary however due to the camera assembly in the rear view mirror.

Should I let safelight change the windshield or should I have Tesla do it and have Geico pay?
Go to your nearest Tesla Service Center and ask them who they use to send out windshield replacements to. Contact that company and ask them if Geico works with them. If so, you are in luck. Input is from direct experience with replacing 2 windshields on my wife's 2018 M3 (And due to the discovery of some new "dings" on her windshield, we may well be on the way to windshield #3!?)

It's interesting to see the comments about the windshield. I thought it was just me.
I had a ding on the front windshield. I know it was a pebble that hit the windshield on the expressway.
I had the windshield replaced. Six months later, I'm on the expressway and hear a pebble hit the windshield. Guess what? A ding in the windshield again! I've had many different cars over the last 25 years and have never had a ding in the windshield. Needless to say, I'm as unhappy about the windshield issues as all of you are.

It's interesting to see the comments about the windshield. I thought it was just me.
I had a ding on the front windshield. I know it was a pebble that hit the windshield on the expressway.
I had the windshield replaced. Six months later, I'm on the expressway and hear a pebble hit the windshield. Guess what? A ding in the windshield again! I've had many different cars over the last 25 years and have never had a ding in the windshield. Needless to say, I'm as unhappy about the windshield issues as all of you are.
Your other cars likely had the same coefficient of drag as a barn. Thus not channeling air like the tesla does.

At least that’s my take on why they enjoy getting windshields.

Here is my info. YMMV.
Got several rocks chips on my windshield in August last year, because California decided to rip up a highway and not repair it immediately, so figgin tiny rocks were all over the place getting thrown at my windshield. Finally caused a crack in early January. My insurance deductible is $1000, Tesla charges $1029 + tax, for a new windshield, including installation at their service center in Fresno, while Safelight charges near $2000. So, obvious choice was to pay out of pocket and avoid a claim on my insurance. (In case you are wondering, the state of California does not cover windshields with 1 free replacement like some states, i.e. Florida, or so my dad claims they do anyway.)
Dropped my car off at 8am, watched on the app when they started working on it at 10am, then got a call at 2pm that it was done. Was able to confirm on my app, as I could see all my cameras again. Picked it up at 3pm with the nice blue tape on the top of my windshield. Told to keep the tape on for 3 days, and not to wash the car or get it wet for a week to properly cure the windshield. Service center did 3 other Model 3 windshield's that same day, the service rep told me, and that this was the most common thing they replace.

Be aware that some windshield companies will use aftermarket glass, it is thicker than the OE / Tesla branded glass and will be a few MM taller than the center roof panel. We had no idea this was a thing until getting the quickest windshield replacement we could.
That makes sense based on what a Safelite person told me. I recently had them fix a chip in my windshield. When the guy arrived he started out saying, 'In repairing the chip, it's possible that your windshield may break, *which is not our responsibility*.' In my mind, I'm thinking, 'Yea right. Tell it to the judge, sport.'

But I let him continue. He used the manual process for adding resin into the chip vs. using the machine that they can hook up to do it. He went on to explain that Telsa uses thinner glass to save weight and that the machine's suction it uses to inject the resin can break the windshield so that's why they have to give that disclaimer.

Also, if you go the Safelite route, be wary of their calibration charge. According to Tesla, all you need to do to calibrate a new windshield is drive the car. Safelite was charging people around $100 for a calibration.