Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cracked open model s battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone/firm/3rd party did cracked open the Model S battery like iFixit does for all electronic devices?

this will answer lot of Qs.

- battery chemistry
- no of batteries,
- is 85kwh is also software limited?
- how much is the whole battery weight if other type of (more dense or diff chemistry) battery

thanks elsupreme. i saw those before posting.

but not giving much details on how many and how they arranged in the given pack. and how much of space is allocated for batteries, and how much for the any electronics/cooling system etc in terms of real estate wise.

anyone/firm/3rd party did cracked open the Model S battery like iFixit does for all electronic devices?

this will answer lot of Qs.

- battery chemistry
- no of batteries,
- is 85kwh is also software limited?
- how much is the whole battery weight if other type of (more dense or diff chemistry) battery

NHTSA cracked open a Model S battery pack after crash testing. I didn't find this until a few days ago:
NHTSA Opened Up the Model S Battery Pack - Pics

Wow...thats what i am looking for. thank you

You're welcome. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Someone help me count the cells. I get 2x7x7x68=6664 cells. The 68 is the only thing I am not sure about, but I really think it's 68 +/- 1.

Not shown open in those photos are the front two double-decker compartments for the extra batteries used in a 85kWh pack.

So I hear that while there may be a capacity for 68 cells per row some are dummies/spacers. Interesting to me that there is in fact a way to increase the pack capacity in energy though by populating the the extra slots.