Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked pano roof mystery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just noticed that my panoramic roof has a giant crack in it. Upon closer inspection, I cant find any impact damage from anything nor can I recall any event which would cause this. Im wondering at this point if its a defect in the glass? Take a took and tell me what you think.

20160922_085443.jpg

Looks like the leading edge, right? Probably a tiny stone hit it just right. This type of glass is very susceptible to impact damage on its edges.

I had a crack on the windshield with no eye-visible impact damage, but if you used a fine ballpoint pen you could actually find the source. Even knowing where it came from, I still couldn't see it from up close. Might be hard in this case if it's that edge, though. Not sure the pen trick works on edges.

That said, it being some kind of defect isn't unheard of.

Looks like the leading edge, right? Probably a tiny stone hit it just right. This type of glass is very susceptible to impact damage on its edges.

I had a crack on the windshield with no eye-visible impact damage, but if you used a fine ballpoint pen you could actually find the source. Even knowing where it came from, I still couldn't see it from up close. Might be hard in this case if it's that edge, though. Not sure the pen trick works on edges.

That said, it being some kind of defect isn't unheard of.

Which makes me wonder if Tesla will cover this under warranty...

Which makes me wonder if Tesla will cover this under warranty...
Certainly you should ask. Tesla actually covered that crack I mentioned in the previous post as a Goodwill item because it occurred right where spontaneous cracks were forming in early Model S, so despite mine not being affected, it was a known weak point in the glass.

Worst case, they find it's a chip and you have to pay... which you'd be doing anyway.

Did you tint the roof? I cannot tell, but it looks like NOT. I was told by the guy I had tint my car that he would NOT do the roof. He had either been told or had experience/knowledge that this has led to cracks in some applications. NO, I do not have any link or direct proof, but it was what he told me, and since he wouldn't do it anyway, I moved on and didn't do the roof. :oops:

Did you tint the roof? I cannot tell, but it looks like NOT. I was told by the guy I had tint my car that he would NOT do the roof. He had either been told or had experience/knowledge that this has led to cracks in some applications. NO, I do not have any link or direct proof, but it was what he told me, and since he wouldn't do it anyway, I moved on and didn't do the roof. :oops:

There is no had has never been aftermarket tint on the pano. Ive never felt the need for it even in the middle of a 100° So Cal summer.

Also the SvC has an appointment for 2 weeks out at the soonest. I hope this doesnt get much worse.

I had a similar crack in my pano. Tiny chip at the beginning of the crack. Tesla did not offer to cover under warranty, but it was covered 100% by my comprehensive coverage for glass (required for all auto policies in Florida). You might want to go ahead and have your insurance company take a look. If they authorize replacement, you can use your appointment in two weeks to have the new panel installed.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Caligula
My first Model S had the exact same thing happen seemingly overnight, looked like a stress fracture but no signs of impact from an object so the good folks at Tesla took care of it under warranty! I havent had the issue since nor with other Model S's, however, I would caution the speed that you may drive with the pano roof vented that IMO seems a likely cause for the glass to be stressed.

• Love
Reactions: Caligula
It seems Tesla has modified the pano roof over time. My early 2013's pano roof developed a bit of a shudder when it opened and closed and I asked Service to "grease it" while it was in for something else. Well, they had the car for a week and basically re-built the pano roof including new mechanicals and glass panels. My car is out of warranty and this was all done under "goodwill". I was shocked (pleasantly) that they would go to these measures to fix a mild shudder, and they told me the design of both the glass and the mechanism has evolved over time.

• Love
Reactions: TMobe and Caligula